Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I KEEP GOING OFF TOPIC!! Okay, in addition to the books I already mentioned, I'm browsing through these:

Agatha Christie

Getaway Guide to Agatha Christie's England

The Life and Times of Miss Jane Marple

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

The Tale of Briar Bank (Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter Series #5)  

This series is just so much fun!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read her mysteries, but not that series - I'll have to check them out!

pen21

I had an avocado washer/dryer set with coppertone kitchen appliances in one house.

Doris Day sent this picture of her 1960s kitchen. The colors aren't too wild.

She is whipping up some coffee cake.

Then she is walking all the neighborhood dogs to help everyone out. pen21

pen21

Here is the dog walking picture with Doris Day.

becke_davis

Weird, she looks just like my mom did back in the day. Thanks for posting those! Well, my reading is all over the place. Now I've started rereading a couple of Mary Stewart books, too. This is going to get confusing.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Formica and Design    Doris knew Design...Now for the Coffee Cake""..Vtc

pen21
0 Kudos

I agree it gets confusing. I am hoping I don't mix up the plots. I can read a couple books at a time and keep the plots straight. But this month I choose a few books that stretched over a month based on the schedule, and that leaves me with time to pick other books to read. The First Look mystery book I think will be hard to read in the four sections. Susan you mentioned this and I agree with you. A mystery book picks up momentum at the end, I am not sure if I want to stop and wait a week to finish the book. It is a very good book after reading the first section. pen21

Poacher's Son

becke_davis wrote:

Weird, she looks just like my mom did back in the day. Thanks for posting those! Well, my reading is all over the place. Now I've started rereading a couple of Mary Stewart books, too. This is going to get confusing.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

VtCozy wrote..Exactly.As with BIF..,at the end of the 2nd week,?Rachel Posted "Did we bail out and read the whole Book..?Yes  ...Posts did drop off..99% of all BIF Readers were just so into the book,that we wanted to know..Its a tough decision for  BN...I think its a Positive Plan though,we shall see....I am on 12..so I am trying..Plus my other book"Language of Sand".Ellen Block.main Character is lexicographer(google it,too much to explain)... Smart,quirky,mysteryish and tears at my heart a bit as well..Area in book is beautiful as well...Well if Bn wants to know,they will ask..For now we are really liking PaulD"s book....I am Boycotting PaulH..Old TDILH..Posted yesterday..2 books...   : (      His wit and knowledge was over the Top.....
pen21 wrote:

I agree it gets confusing. I am hoping I don't mix up the plots. I can read a couple books at a time and keep the plots straight. But this month I choose a few books that stretched over a month based on the schedule, and that leaves me with time to pick other books to read. The First Look mystery book I think will be hard to read in the four sections. Susan you mentioned this and I agree with you. A mystery book picks up momentum at the end, I am not sure if I want to stop and wait a week to finish the book. It is a very good book after reading the first section. pen21

Poacher's Son

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

OMG ladies you've brought back many memories by posting the pictures of the "kitchens of the future" that we all lived through in the 60s and 70s. My mom refused to get anything but white appliances, she loved the black and white decor and used it in out kitchen. Both my grandmothers however had kitchens that were glaringly colorful, in fact I remember when my one grandma got the avocado colored fridge and then about 10 years later got a copper colored range. I got sick every time I entered the room.

And I loved Doris Day, still watch every movie that comes on Turner.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm reading The Poacher's Son slowly for now, but as I get into it I won't be able to resist reading faster. In the meantime, I'm on a Mary Stewart kick. Reread WILDFIRE AT MIDNIGHT last night:

Wildfire at Midnight 

While we're on the subject of Doris Day, she starred in one of my favorite movies:

Man Who Knew Too Much 

She was in other mysteries, too:

Caprice 

Midnight Lace was good but I don't think it's out on DVD.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

While we're on the subject of Doris Day, she starred in one of my favorite movies:

Man Who Knew Too Much 

Hitchcock must have loved that plot, because that was the only movie he made twice!

Man Who Knew Too Much 

Speaking of Hitchcock, I had a question that I was going to create a thread for, but I will just post it here.  I know that a while back the featured selection was The 39 Steps.

The Thirty-Nine Steps 

The other night I saw Masterpiece's new production of it.

39 Steps 

I really enjoyed it!  However, I had previously only been familiar with Hitchcock's version

39 Steps 

and they differed enormously in one particular point - exactly what the '39 steps' were.  In the new version, they actually were steps (stairs).  In the old one, they were something much more abstract (I don't want to give it away if anybody hasn't seen it).  Since I've never read the book, I was hoping that someone who has read it could tell me which movie version was faithful to the book?  I'm kind of assuming the new one, although that doesn't negate Hitchcock's excellent version for me.  Thanks!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

There is another version that doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. I'll post some clips - as I remember, every single one has a different ending. (I just saw the new one, too.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos