Contributor
legalchic-52
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I read Fearless Fourteen.  Definately a laugh out loud book!!!
Contributor
legalchic-52
0 Kudos

By the way, my name is Debra and this is my first day talking to you all.  I am enjoying reading past posts about the different books people have read. 
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome, Debra -- it's always fun to find others who share our love of mysteries!
Contributor
legalchic-52
0 Kudos

Thank you, Becke!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished a wonderful read by Ridley Pearson who was on Center Stage just recently.

Killer View is the second in his series featuring Sun Valley Sheriff Walt Flemming and if you're a fan of seat of your pants non-stop action then this book is for you. It deals with home grown terrorists dealing in bio-warfare, government bureaucracy and hidden agendas. In addition to everything else going on our hero Sheriff Flemming is trying to deal with his personal life as a single dad with twin girls who's wife left him for his best deputy (we found this out in the first book Killer Weekend). So those of you who just like to stroll through the pages of non-exciting books this is not for you for the rest of you get off the couch and get to B&N.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Actually Debbie, I can stay right here on my couch and order it from B&N via the internet!

Before the internet, how did things ever get done?

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Just finished Permed to Death, the first in Nancy Cohen's Bad Hair Day mysteries.  It was a light read, I finished it in a day.  Figured out the bad guy just a little before the heroine, so it wasn't too bad.  The bit with being attracted to the handsome homicide cop in charge of the case is getting a little cliche, but never mind.  I will look for more in this series.

Now I'm in the middle of Rita Lakin's third book Getting Old is Criminal, about seniors in a retirement home who solve mysteries.  The first two were Getting Old is Murder and Getting Old is the Best Revenge.  Again, mostly light reading, and the fact that I know these people well (not specifically the ones in the book, but close enough) makes it fun. 

Just hit the jackpot at one of the local used bookstores, someone turned in lots of cozies, so I'm set for a while !!! 

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Contributor
Debbyp
0 Kudos

I am reading Careless in Red by Elizabeth George. I read it for the second time now and I think it really is a great book. It is hard to put it away.

Debby

www.theinspectorlynleymysteries.net/
Contributor
suga49
0 Kudos

I haven't been on the board for a while, but I have been reading.  I just read Chelsea Cain's Heartsick and Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith.  Two great reads.  Cain's book has a female serial killer who is a departure from your usual serial killer.  Child 44 has a great twist that will leave you shocked.

Karen Terry

Albany GA

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What did you think of the Chelsea Cain book?  After reading the New York Times book review of it I thought it was probably too graphic for me.  I've heard that it's a powerful read, though.
Contributor
ctcablegirl
0 Kudos

Re: RE: Pushing up daisies!

Debbie,

I also love British authors.  I am such an anglophile!  I would love any info on British authors to add to my list.  I can highly recommend the first books by Robert Goddard.  I really loved this author but have been very disappointed in his last 3 books.  The earlier the better when it comes to his books.  Talk about locking yourself away with a book.....  Be warned his books are very lengthy.

Karen

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Becke, there is a wonderful thread with Deanna Raybourn last year when she visited B&N to discuss her book "Silent in the Grave." You may find reading the posts interesting.

I passed the book on to a friend, and she loved it so much, I'm thinking of getting the sequel "Silent in the Sanctuary."
IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks -- I have Silent in the Sanctuary in my TBR pile so I hope I like this book.  So far, it's very good -- I loved the opening sentence!

I didn't realize we had featured Silent in the Grave before, thanks so much for pointing that out.  I did a search and found the discussion.  Thanks so much for the heads up!

Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

I think Deanna Raybourn just won a RITA for that book. I don't usually read romances but this sounds like it might be more of a mystery than just a romance.

So many great British mysteries...that's how I got hooked on mysteries ...after watching the PBS Peter Wimsey shows when I was a kid. You probably know all of the biggest names..but have you tried John Mortimer's Rumpole series? Very entertaining.

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

I haven't read Rumpole but I never missed an episode of Rumpole of the Bailey when it was on PBS. "She who must be obeyed"

became a catch phrase about the boss where I used to work.  We also had a salesman who would answer the phone , "Menswear" from Are you being served? I guess those PBS shows have had a tremendous influence on us. All in a good way, of course.:smileyvery-happy:

RosemaryH wrote:

I think Deanna Raybourn just won a RITA for that book. I don't usually read romances but this sounds like it might be more of a mystery than just a romance.

So many great British mysteries...that's how I got hooked on mysteries ...after watching the PBS Peter Wimsey shows when I was a kid. You probably know all of the biggest names..but have you tried John Mortimer's Rumpole series? Very entertaining.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rosemary - You're right about the RITA -- I forgot about that.  Maybe that's what made me push it to the top of my TBR pile, subconsciously.

You must be psychic -- I was thinking about Rumpole yesterday.  I'd love to feature him -- that is, the books by John Mortimer.  I'd also love to feature the books by Alexander McCall Smith.  I'm hesitant to suggest featuring a book that is at the end of a series.  We are doing that right now, I realize, but Ms. George's books are very widely read.

We've got Ngaio Marsh coming up later this fall, mixed with some new authors, but maybe we could kick off the new year with Rumpole.  It seems far off now but I'm sure the time will fly.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Just finished Rebecca , the fabulous classic by Daphne DuMaurier and Garden Spells  by Sarah Addison Allen and am starting Cross by James Patterson, at least in the daytime, ewww creeeeeepy killer.

Kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

Just finished Rebecca , the fabulous classic by Daphne DuMaurier and Garden Spells  by Sarah Addison Allen and am starting Cross by James Patterson, at least in the daytime, ewww creeeeeepy killer.

Kaye

Garden Spells is in my TBR pile -- did you like it?  My daughter loved it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Garden spells is, uh, different.  I think it's more a women's book than a man's.  I found it a mediocre, though acceptable, read, but with very strong undercurrents of not nice stuff which really didn't come out.  The characters were interesting but simply not believable; it's not really a fantasy book per se, but it has  magical elements that take it into the world of the not only improbable but impossible.

becke_davis wrote:

Garden Spells is in my TBR pile -- did you like it?  My daughter loved it.