Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What are your favorites?

While we are focusing on Agatha Christie this month, I would be interested to see which of her books are your favorites.

Are there any you really DON'T like? Are your favorites the famous "twist ending" books or others that focus more on the skills of Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot (or someone else)?

Are there other mystery authors whose style reminds you of Christie?

Who would you say is the Agatha Christie of the 21st century (so far)?
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: What are your favorites?

My favorite Poirot ones are:
Murder on the Orient Express, Evil Under the Sun and Death on the Nile

My favorites Marple ones are:
The Body in the Library; The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side; They Do it With Mirrors; A Pocketfull of Rye; The Moving Finger...

My favorite without Poirot or Marple are: Ten Little Indians. Towards Zero, and Endless Night (I think that's what its title is. Can't remember offhand).
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
becke_davis
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:

The Body in the Library; The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side; They Do it With Mirrors; A Pocketfull of Rye; The Moving Finger...

My favorite without Poirot or Marple are: Ten Little Indians. Towards Zero, and Endless Night (I think that's what its title is. Can't remember offhand).

I should have listed my own favorites. I have several, but just off the top of my head, I would say that my favorite Miss Marple is Nemesis, and my favorite Poirot is Cards on the Table. But if I scan through a list of the titles, I know I'll want to add several others!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:

I would have to include Towards Zero and The Mirror Crack'd to my list of favorites, too. For some reason, I've never liked Towards Zero and Ten Little Indians (And Then There Were None) is not a favorite either. There is one called A Murder in Three Acts -- I think that is the British title, can't think of the American title -- that reminds me of Towards Zero. I also like A Caribbean Mystery, which is sort of a two-parter with Nemesis. I really like most of the Miss Marple mysteries. The Pale Horse is a favorite, Hallowe'en Party, I keep thinking of more to add to my list!
Frequent Contributor
Curt42
0 Kudos

My favorite Agatha Christie is AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (TEN LITTLE INDIANS). I first read the book when I was in high school. When I got to the part where the detectives found the ten bodies I was dumfounded as to who did it. The explanation later made the book feasable. I am also partial to it because I played Dr. Armstrong in the play version.

My least favorite Christie is THE BIG FOUR, This read like she was trying to write a pulp adventure novel with a larger than life villian (four actually) with chase scenes and the death of Poirot. This was fortunately the only book she wrote in the pulp style.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

That must of have been fun to act in a Christie play!

I agree with you about The Big Four. I got the feeling Christie was trying to do a Sherlock Holmes-type book with this one. Even though I've read all the Sherlock Holmes stories and I think they were well-written, they didn't connect with me at any emotional level and I can't say I especially like them.

On the other hand, I very much like detectives created by Ruth Rendell, P.D. James, Ngaio Marsh, Patricia Wentworth, Ian Rankin, Elizabeth George and Martha Grimes, just to list a few.
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

On the other hand, I very much like detectives created by Ruth Rendell, P.D. James, Ngaio Marsh, Patricia Wentworth, Ian Rankin, Elizabeth George and Martha Grimes, just to list a few.

One of my favorite detectives is Nero Wolfe. I haven't read the books about this detective created by Rex Stout in a long, long, long time. Does anyone else remember this large detective who loves gourmet food and orchids and whose sidekick Archie Goodwin narrates the story and does most of the out of office stuff for Nero who usually doesn't want to travel?
Librarian
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

One of my favorite detectives is Nero Wolfe. I haven't read the books about this detective created by Rex Stout in a long, long, long time. Does anyone else remember this large detective who loves gourmet food and orchids and whose sidekick Archie Goodwin narrates the story and does most of the out of office stuff for Nero who usually doesn't want to travel?
Librarian

I never got into Nero Wolfe books but my mom liked them -- the TV movies, too.

I was just thinking of detective mysteries I haven't read in awhile -- the Gideon series (the London police series), Carter Dickson/John Dickinson Carr mysteries, Perry Mason (loved the series back in the 50s, but liked the non-Perry Mason mysteries better), Anthony Gethryn mysteries by Philip MacDonald. My dad was hooked on the books by John D. MacDonald (they all had a color in the title) but I never read those. My brother introduced the family to Archer Mayor's books and while the ones I read were good, they were a little too dark for me.
New User
pordiem
0 Kudos

My favorite Christie book is And Then There Were None. I highly recommend it.

pdm
the Melody of Logic Always Plays Notes of Truth
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: What are your favorites? Ten Little Indians

This mystery had me baffled because Agatha Christie used a technique called disguise the killer. In this case, she disguised the murderer as one of the victims.

It works all the time.
IBIS

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: What are your favorites? Rhys Bowen's Evan Evans' mysteries

I am reminded of Agatha Christie's "cozy" style of mystery writing by Rhys Bowen.
She writes a series of mysteries with Constable Evan Evans in a northern Wales village of Llanfair.

Her writing is no-nonsense and down-to-earth. There is no unnecessary graphic violence. She also has a terrific sense of humor.

The titles of Rhys Bowen's Evan Evans mysteries are titled:
- Evan and Elle
- Evans Above
- Evan's Gate
- Evanly Bodies
- Evan Help Us
- Evan Can Wait
- Evanly Choirs
- Evan Only Knows

Highly recommended for Agatha Christie fans.
IBIS

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Curt42 wrote:
My favorite Agatha Christie is AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (TEN LITTLE INDIANS). I first read the book when I was in high school. When I got to the part where the detectives found the ten bodies I was dumfounded as to who did it. The explanation later made the book feasable. I am also partial to it because I played Dr. Armstrong in the play version.

My least favorite Christie is THE BIG FOUR, This read like she was trying to write a pulp adventure novel with a larger than life villian (four actually) with chase scenes and the death of Poirot. This was fortunately the only book she wrote in the pulp style.

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE is my favorite too! I also read it in High School and it was the first Agatha Christie that I read. Jo
becke_davis
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:

I am reminded of Agatha Christie's "cozy" style of mystery writing by Rhys Bowen.
She writes a series of mysteries with Constable Evan Evans in a northern Wales village of Llanfair.

Her writing is no-nonsense and down-to-earth. There is no unnecessary graphic violence. She also has a terrific sense of humor.

The titles of Rhys Bowen's Evan Evans mysteries are titled:
- Evan and Elle
- Evans Above
- Evan's Gate
- Evanly Bodies
- Evan Help Us
- Evan Can Wait
- Evanly Choirs
- Evan Only Knows

Highly recommended for Agatha Christie fans.

I've read all of those -- they are great!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-25-2007 10:15 AM