Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What's New and Coming Soon!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold  

The 50th anniversary edition of the novel that made John le Carré an

international sensation

THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD

A George Smiley Novel

“The best spy story I have ever read.”

Graham Greene

“Written…with a pitiless elegant clarity, THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD is a

first-rate thriller and more.”

–Time

__________________________________________________________________________________

In THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD, John le Carré䃅s third novel and the first to earn him world-wide acclaim, he created a world unlike any previously experienced in fiction.  With unsurpassed knowledge culled from his years in British Intelligence, le Carré brings to light the shadowy dealings of international espionage in the tale of a British agent who longs to end his career but undertakes one final assignment.

Penguin Books is excited to publish a special 50thanniversary edition of THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD (Penguin Books; ISBN: 978-0-14-312475-7; On-Sale Date: September 3, 2013), a book that remains one of the most lauded novels of all time. This edition includes a new introduction by le Carré, in which he recalls the media storm surrounding the book䃅s publication in the years leading up to the Cold War, which has never been published in the U.S.

2013 has been a banner year for le Carré. This spring, Viking published his twenty-third novel, A Delicate Truth, which received acclaim from critics all over the world and spent six weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. The fall will see the release of a feature film adaptation of A Most Wanted Man, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams, Willem Dafoe, and directed by the legendary photographer and music video director Anton Corbijn. 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

John le Carré was born in 1931 and attended the universities of Bern and Oxford.  He taught at Eton and served briefly in British Intelligence during the Cold War.  For the last 50 years he has lived by his pen.  He divides his time between London and Cornwall.

For more information, please visit:

www.johnlecarre.com

THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD

John le Carré

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Question of Honor (Bess Crawford Series #5)  

A QUESTION OF HONOR (Morrow; on sale August 27, 2013; 9780062237156) by New York Times bestselling author Charles Todd is the newest entry into the “vivid period mystery series” (New York Times Book Review) featuring battlefield nurse and amateur sleuth, Bess Crawford.

When the Bess series launched in 2009 with A Duty to the Dead, Todd began to create a richly textured picture of life during World War I and with the continuation of the series has shown why he “surpasses just about anyone writing historical mysteries today." (Detroit Free Press)

In A QUESTION OF HONOR, fans and new readers alike are treated to a look at Bess’s upbringing in the Northwest Frontier of India, where her father, a colonel in the British army, was stationed and where a murderer was discovered among the ranks of the Colonel’s regiment.  The suspected murderer was never tried for the crimes, his body seen deep in the Khyber Pass where he died trying to escape India.

A decade later, tending to a dying Indian sergeant on the battlefields of France, Bess learns that the supposed murderer is alive and fighting in the war.

Bess uses her leave to investigate the sighting and bring honor back to her father’s regiment.  The crime has been a stain on the reputation of Bess’s father in the eyes of many soldiers, men defined by honor.  But when she unearths the shocking truth behind the murders, Bess is shaken to the core.

A QUESTION OF HONOR is the most emotionally powerful entry into an already profound and acclaimed series.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Boy, being out of the loop for so long, I've missed out on a lot of these previews. I am looking forward to the Bess Armstrong mystery by Charles Todd. Won't be too much longer now before it is released. Yay!

Becke, that book on Skeleton in the Closet looks interesting, too. I'm rather an expert on dog breeds, having owned a couple of pure-breeds and attending some dog shows. That's clearly a Shiba Inu on the cover of that book, and after reading the blurb about the book, I had to laugh at the description of the Skeleton having to make sure the dog didn't see him as a super-sized snack! I'll have to check out that book now, for sure!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

My apologies to Toni Kelner. The title of that book is  A Skeleton in the Family, NOT Skeleton in the closet. I was thinking about the description of the book, so got off track with the title. Still, sounds like it should have a lot of humor in it, which I like.

A Skeleton in the Family  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Boy, being out of the loop for so long, I've missed out on a lot of these previews. I am looking forward to the Bess Armstrong mystery by Charles Todd. Won't be too much longer now before it is released. Yay!

Becke, that book on Skeleton in the Closet looks interesting, too. I'm rather an expert on dog breeds, having owned a couple of pure-breeds and attending some dog shows. That's clearly a Shiba Inu on the cover of that book, and after reading the blurb about the book, I had to laugh at the description of the Skeleton having to make sure the dog didn't see him as a super-sized snack! I'll have to check out that book now, for sure!

I wondered what breed that gorgeous dog was - thanks for this info!

I just wish I had more reading time these days - my to-be-read pile could probably stretch to the moon and back!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I know about Shiba Inus from the famous Puppy Cam, which I first heard about some years back.  Of course, there is not always a current litter, but I think there are always past videos available.  I just checked, and I think they are expecting a litter soon.  Once there is, i would expecte there to be live streaming, although I haven't watched in a few years.

http://www.ustream.tv/SFShiba

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I know about Shiba Inus from the famous Puppy Cam, which I first heard about some years back.  Of course, there is not always a current litter, but I think there are always past videos available.  I just checked, and I think they are expecting a litter soon.  Once there is, i would expecte there to be live streaming, although I haven't watched in a few years.

http://www.ustream.tv/SFShiba

Sooooo cute!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Stranded  

Dani Pettrey knows of what she writes—if you check out  www.DaniPettrey.com you’ll find photos of her personal adventures she’s enjoyed with her family—traveling the world, sea kayaking, cliff jumping. No dull moments in the household of this inspirational author for Bethany House Publishing. Her first two Alaska Courage books, Submerged and Shattered, earned rave reviews, and now Book 3, Stranded, continues the ride:

Stranded

Darcy St. James goes to Alaska to join a journalist friend undercover on the trail of a big story. But Darcy arrives to find her friend has disappeared. Troubled by the cruise ship's vague explanation, Darcy uses her cover as a travel reporter to investigate.

The last person Gage McKenna expects to see during his summer aboard a cruise ship leading adventure excursions is Darcy. He'd love to just forget her—but he can't help but worry about her as they head into remote regions of Alaska—and danger-filled foreign waters! Something sinister is going on, and the farther they go, the more Gage fears they've only discovered the tip of the iceberg.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Blind Goddess (Billy Boyle World War II Mystery Series #8)  

A BLIND GODDESS is the eighth installment in James R. Benn's Billy Boyle WWII historical mystery series.

Set in 1933 London, A BLIND GODDESS unmasks the glaring racism within the US Army stationed overseas. A soldier in an all-African American battalion has been falsely accused of murder, and his commanding sergeant, Tree Jackson, can only entrust one person to handle the case: his estranged childhood friend and now-Captain Billy Boyle. While Billy is first reluctant to investigate, he is assigned a case in a nearby town and finds himself on a manhunt that could save more than one life.

The Billy Boyle series has been praised as "spirited wartime storytelling" (The New York Times Book Review) and "a fast-paced saga set in a period when the fate of civilization still hangs in the balance" (Wall Street Journal). A BLIND GODDESS is "a wonderful entry to a favorite series" (Deadly Pleasures) and "a thoroughly researched exploration of segregation in the wartime armed services" (Booklist).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To what extent was Rosario “Russell” Bufalino involved in the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa in 1975? In the CIA's recruitment of gangsters to assassinate Fidel Castro? In organizing the historic meeting of crime chieftains in 1957? Even in the production of The Godfather movies? This October marks the release of the fascinating and until now untold true story of mafia kingpin Russell Bufalino in THE QUIET DON (Berkley Mass Market Original, October 1, 2013) by Matt Birkbeck.

The Quiet Don  

Secretive—even reclusive—Russell Bufalino quietly built his organized crime empire in the decades between Prohibition and the Carter presidency. His reach extended far beyond the coal country of Scranton, Pennsylvania, and quaint Amish farms near Lancaster. Bufalino had a hand in global, national, and local politics of the largest American cities, many of its major industries, and controlled the powerful Teamsters Union. His influence also reached the highest levels of Pennsylvania government and halls of Congress, and his legacy left a culture of corruption that continues to this day.

A uniquely American saga that spans six decades, THE QUIET DON follows Russell Bufalino䃅s remarkably quiet ascent from Sicilian immigrant to mob soldier to a man described by a U.S. Senate subcommittee in 1964 as "one of the most ruthless and powerful leaders of the Mafia in the United States."

With a review going live today from The Associated Press, The Quiet Don is not to miss! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

What the Cat Saw by Carolyn Hart came out quite a while ago.  Maybe it's coming out in paperback?  I haven't read it.  I've only read the first of the Ghost books so far, so I have to read the others first!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

What the Cat Saw by Carolyn Hart came out quite a while ago.  Maybe it's coming out in paperback?  I haven't read it.  I've only read the first of the Ghost books so far, so I have to read the others first!