Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Re: What's your favorite detective/mystery TV show?

dulcinea3 wrote: 

Wow, I had no idea that Harper's Island was based on a Stephen King book!

I am so sorry it wasn't. The show Haven is based on the Stephen King novel The Colorado Kid .  Haper's island was an original but was influenced by Agatha Christie's "And then there were none". Also called "Ten Little Indians".  it was one of her stranger books about people being killed off one by one. Sorry I confused the 2 TV shows.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote: 

I am so sorry it wasn't. The show Haven is based on the Stephen King novel The Colorado Kid .  Haper's island was an original but was influenced by Agatha Christie's "And then there were none". Also called "Ten Little Indians".  it was one of her stranger books about people being killed off one by one. Sorry I confused the 2 TV shows.

Oh, ok - no problem!  Yes, I did know about the Christie influence.  And, if I am not mistaken, that is Ryan's favorite Christie, so no wonder he enjoyed the series, too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G

It is still my favorite though there are a few others that are starting to creep up there.

dulcinea3 wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote: 

Oh, ok - no problem!  Yes, I did know about the Christie influence.  And, if I am not mistaken, that is Ryan's favorite Christie, so no wonder he enjoyed the series, too!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I thought last night's episode of Castle was a pretty good one - darker than usual.

I also enjoyed Harry's Law, which is on at the same time - thank you, DVR. I especially like Nate Corddry, who is quickly establishing himself as the show's leading light, sometimes overshadowing the great Kathy Bates.

Much as I love this show, I doubt it will be around long if they don't tone down the rhetoric. Even when I agree with it, the chest-beating throws the tone of the show off-kilter. And, honestly, the elderly woman last night should not have gotten a get-out-of-jail-free card after committing armed robbery.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Becke, I finally watched the pilot of Harry's Law. It was really funny. I was worried about setting it up on my DVR because of The Closer and Castle. It was really funny, so I am gonna try and juggle the three shows.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

Becke, I finally watched the pilot of Harry's Law. It was really funny. I was worried about setting it up on my DVR because of The Closer and Castle. It was really funny, so I am gonna try and juggle the three shows.

I like all three of those shows, so I'm always recording at least one of them!

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

I like all three of those shows, so I'm always recording at least one of them!

Yes DVR is a lifesaver, during the school week I can't watch much tv, So i record NCIS, Criminal Minds and Smallville and watch them on saturdays.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hmm late to the discussion but since I breathe off these shows often I've got quite a few.

Firstly though allow me to promote a few streaming services, I often point out to you guys.

Netflix- rent or stream one of the best services out there.

Hulu/Hulu+ - stream lots and lots of TV shows on here. Hulu+ a slightly expanded selecton of shows but so far it doesn't justify the $8 a month they want for it (give time though) though they do omit the comecials with that version.

Fancast/Infinity - ok it's a comcast product and if they do you cable you have a code that'll let you watch nearly every program you had access to for the the following 2 weeks after broadcast. No code you can still watch lots and lots of shows by stream slightly longer comercials than Hulu uses but still not invasive.

All the big 4 networks have limited show streams available. The longest comercials and a tandancy to slow stream but still if you missed your favorite show on PBS, NBC, ABC, or CBS; and you can't find it anywhere else try there sites. Also get hooked on a FX premier show and though they do spam your email with show ads for months afterwards, they are the only network that let's you stream zero comercials.

As for my favorites ....at least currently.

Da Vinci's Inquest - Season 1

Wallander

New Tricks - Season 1

Blue Murder - Set 1

Waking the Dead: the Complete Season One and Pilot Episode

Wire in the Blood: Complete First Season

Pie in the Sky - Series 1

Lovejoy: the Complete Collection

Keen Eddie - The Complete Series

Justified: Season One

Closer: Complete Seasons 1-4

Touch of Frost 1

Rosemary & Thyme: Series One

Dexter - Season 1

The short lived American take on Touching Evil, and Moonlighting.

And it might be a streach to fit this in this catagory (though the guy is attempting to be a private detective, so); but did you guys catch?

Bored to Death: the Complete First Season

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Oh and I only have seen one episode of Harry's Law but it was amusing.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Boy, I was raised on mystery TV. I think I've seen every episode of "Murder She Wrote," Perry Mason" and "NCIS" twice. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I love "Psych," "White Collar" and "Burn Notice." I was a dyed-in-the-wool fan of "Law & Order." My husband and I never got into SVU because he can't stand what they do to kids in some of the episodes. I watch "Chuck," "Fringe," "The Mentalist," "NCIS" and "CSI" religiously. I love the Jeremy Brett "Sherlock Holmes" and "Cadfael." Masterpiece Mystery! is always good and it doesn't even matter what it is in most cases. I do have some difficulty keeping up with everything.

Gads, do I really watch THAT much TV? Maybe that's why my DVR is always threatening to delete things...

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lots of good ones there!

Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

Of the older shows I would definitely have to say The Rockford Files with James Garner is one of my favorites.

My current new favorite is Justified.  It's starting its 2nd season next week and I can't wait.

Bonnie

becke_davis

Bonnie_C wrote:

Of the older shows I would definitely have to say The Rockford Files with James Garner is one of my favorites.

My current new favorite is Justified.  It's starting its 2nd season next week and I can't wait.

Bonnie

Rockford Files was a good one. Way back in the day I used to watch Remington Steele, Magnum, Efram Zimbalist, Jr. in The FBI (and long before that in 77 Sunset Strip!).

Going waaaaaaay back, I used to like mystery radio shows like Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar and Suspense Theater. Oh yeah, I'm freaking OLD!!

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Bonnie_C wrote:

Bonnie

Rockford Files was a good one. Way back in the day I used to watch Remington Steele, Magnum, Efram Zimbalist, Jr. in The FBI (and long before that in 77 Sunset Strip!).

Going waaaaaaay back, I used to like mystery radio shows like Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar and Suspense Theater. Oh yeah, I'm freaking OLD!!

Oh, man! How could I forget Remington Steele!? I love, love, LOVE that show. I don't buy many TV shows on DVD, but this is one series I have. Remington Steele - Season 1  

Pierce Brosnan was/is so sexy, especially to my pre-teen self!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis

Charlie Chan Collection 

I broke down and bought a couple old favorites, too:

I Spy: Season 1 (5 Discs)

dulcinea3

I used to watch Remington Steele, too!  Hubba, hubba!!!  And also Scarecrow and Mrs. King, with (the not-quite-as-much-but-still-hot) Bruce Boxleitner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis

dulcinea3 wrote:

I used to watch Remington Steele, too!  Hubba, hubba!!!  And also Scarecrow and Mrs. King, with (the not-quite-as-much-but-still-hot) Bruce Boxleitner.

*sigh*

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ah, yes, it was a great era...

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I loved the American version of Touching Evil....I was sad that it didn't last longer.

TiggerBear wrote:

Hmm late to the discussion but since I breathe off these shows often I've got quite a few.

Firstly though allow me to promote a few streaming services, I often point out to you guys.

Netflix- rent or stream one of the best services out there.

Hulu/Hulu+ - stream lots and lots of TV shows on here. Hulu+ a slightly expanded selecton of shows but so far it doesn't justify the $8 a month they want for it (give time though) though they do omit the comecials with that version.

Fancast/Infinity - ok it's a comcast product and if they do you cable you have a code that'll let you watch nearly every program you had access to for the the following 2 weeks after broadcast. No code you can still watch lots and lots of shows by stream slightly longer comercials than Hulu uses but still not invasive.

All the big 4 networks have limited show streams available. The longest comercials and a tandancy to slow stream but still if you missed your favorite show on PBS, NBC, ABC, or CBS; and you can't find it anywhere else try there sites. Also get hooked on a FX premier show and though they do spam your email with show ads for months afterwards, they are the only network that let's you stream zero comercials.

As for my favorites ....at least currently.

Da Vinci's Inquest - Season 1

Wallander

New Tricks - Season 1

Blue Murder - Set 1

Waking the Dead: the Complete Season One and Pilot Episode

Wire in the Blood: Complete First Season

Pie in the Sky - Series 1

Lovejoy: the Complete Collection

Keen Eddie - The Complete Series

Justified: Season One

Closer: Complete Seasons 1-4

Touch of Frost 1

Rosemary & Thyme: Series One

Dexter - Season 1

The short lived American take on Touching Evil, and Moonlighting.

And it might be a streach to fit this in this catagory (though the guy is attempting to be a private detective, so); but did you guys catch?

Bored to Death: the Complete First Season

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Did anyone else watch the season premier of "The Chicago Code"  I loved it.  I think I've found a new cop show.

My mom just told me she loves "Blue Bloods" with Tom Sellock but I've never seen it.