Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What's your favorite detective/mystery TV show?

Fricka wrote:

Yes, I did see that, becke, and read your two posts in that blog as well. That's actually what I was referring to, seeing as how you like those beefcake pictures on the covers. (Smirk).

BTW, did anyone watch 39 Steps, I think it was called.??

It has been on PBS for a couple of weeks at least. I watched the very first part, where the young handsome Brit has a man come crashing into his apartment, claiming to be a spy who's been outed, and wants his help. The YHB is sceptical, until his doorbell rings, he answers, and two thugs enter. He fights one off , but when he goes to the room where the confessed spy had been, he finds him dying. When the YHB calls the police, he finds himself becoming the main suspect in the said spy's murder. Unfortunately, right after this part, I had to turn the program off, as I had to get shut-eye for my early hours at work the next morning.

Was this the remake? Yes, I saw it - it was pretty good. It drives me nuts how every single version has a different ending, though!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka

Product Details
Remington Steele, the first season
Just checked this DVD set out from the library. The cover reads, "Before he was Bond, he was Remington Steele." *cough* Apparently I have a "thing" for men with dark hair and blue eyes.
Mr. Brosnan is STILL one of my favorite actors!
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Product Details
Remington Steele, the first season
Just checked this DVD set out from the library. The cover reads, "Before he was Bond, he was Remington Steele." *cough* Apparently I have a "thing" for men with dark hair and blue eyes.
Mr. Brosnan is STILL one of my favorite actors!

Hmmm, it makes me wonder whether the company who released the DVD and is apparently trying to profit from the Bond connection is the same that refused to release Brosnan from his Remington Steele contract when he was originally offered the part of Bond and wanted to take it!  Actually, they were cancelling the series, but when the publicity over the Bond offer made Brosnan a hot property, they revived the series and refused to let him go.  Dalton got it instead.  Thankfully, about eight years later the chance came up again and Brosnan was free to take it!  But if the company that prevented him from having the first chance is now bragging about his getting it later, that is ironic indeed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Ok going to be talking about this over in the A&E board. But did anyone else catch this last night?

The Kiling

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2909116953/

I just watched my recording of the premiere today and I loved it! I have the next episode ready to watch too

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

I see Gary Collins occasionally on informercials, becke. But you're right--he used to be on everything! I don't  remember "The Sixth Sense"--that must have been on ABC. For a long time, in western Kansas, all we had was two stations--CBS and NBC. I used to read TV Guide and look longingly at the list of shows we didn't get.  

BTW, have any of you watched the new version of "Hawaii Five-O"? I loved the original version, with Jack Lord and James MacArthur. It's hard for me to believe that anyone else could play a role like Steve McGarrett more convincingly than Jack did. Book' em, Dan-O!:smileyvery-happy:

For some reason I prefer this Steve McGarrett to the orginal. No idea why that would be...

Love the picture! But as far as acting I'm really enjoying Scott Caan

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Shows that got cancelled this year

Was I the only one saddened by the amount of genre shows that got the axe this year?

I was really enjoying Awake and found it to be a rather unique take on the police/detective show.  Same goes for Unforgettable with Poppy Montgomery.  Alcatraz was totally unique and while I thought the idea was kinda out there, I found myself watching anyway based on how strong the character and the ascotre that played them were.  

All three shows really took the characters into realms that were different, something that was really needed after all the Law & Order, CSI, and NCIS shows out there.  Needless to say I'm not too upset by CSI: Miami being cancelled.

I even really enjoyed The Finder, the spin-off of Bones, even if I was never in love with it.

And while Missing with Ashley Judd and Ringer with Sarah Michelle Gellar weren't really detective shows, they had great storylines, wonderful actors, and tons of mystery.  I really wished they were both coming back as well.

I really never watched the remake of Charlies Angel's, Chuck, The Firm, Flashpoint (though my roomate does), Harry's Law (which I knew was a favorite of Becke's), In Plain Sight, NYC 22, or Prime Suspect.  With that being said, I think it's sad because at least some of these shows brought something new to the genre. 

The only other shows I was sad to see leave were The River, A Gifted Man, GCB, and Terra Nova.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Shows that got cancelled this year

Ryan_G wrote:

Was I the only one saddened by the amount of genre shows that got the axe this year?

I was really enjoying Awake and found it to be a rather unique take on the police/detective show.  Same goes for Unforgettable with Poppy Montgomery.  Alcatraz was totally unique and while I thought the idea was kinda out there, I found myself watching anyway based on how strong the character and the ascotre that played them were.  

All three shows really took the characters into realms that were different, something that was really needed after all the Law & Order, CSI, and NCIS shows out there.  Needless to say I'm not too upset by CSI: Miami being cancelled.

I even really enjoyed The Finder, the spin-off of Bones, even if I was never in love with it.

And while Missing with Ashley Judd and Ringer with Sarah Michelle Gellar weren't really detective shows, they had great storylines, wonderful actors, and tons of mystery.  I really wished they were both coming back as well.

I really never watched the remake of Charlies Angel's, Chuck, The Firm, Flashpoint (though my roomate does), Harry's Law (which I knew was a favorite of Becke's), In Plain Sight, NYC 22, or Prime Suspect.  With that being said, I think it's sad because at least some of these shows brought something new to the genre. 

The only other shows I was sad to see leave were The River, A Gifted Man, GCB, and Terra Nova.

I liked Harry's Law at first, but then it got kind of preachy. And I hate it when shows have bad endings (i.e. where justice isn't served). I stopped watching Law and Order: SVU for that reason, and I stopped watching Harry's Law for that reason, too. 

I like NCIS (the reruns) and sometimes I watch Castle, even though it's extremely far-fetched. Mainly I watch English series - the new Sherlock (even though it's nothing like the original stories, or maybe BECAUSE it's nothing like them), The Last Detective, New Tricks, Midsomer Murders, Murder in Suburbia, Murder City, Foyle's War and old episodes of Poirot and Joan Hicks as Miss Marple.

dulcinea3

Alcatraz isn't coming back???  What a shame!  I was really enjoying it, and there was so much left to find out about what happened!  I guess now we'll never know.  I think when a show like that is cancelled, the network should at least commission a wrap-up movie or something.

I'm enjoying Touch, with Kiefer Sutherland.  I hope that one makes it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I think these kinds of shows go in cycles, Ryan. Usually if a type of show is successful, there's bound to be several others like it popping up--that just is the Hollywood mentality.

Right now my fave TV show is not a mystery show, but a comedy--The Big Bang Theory. Sure enough, TBS has another show with four men who are social misfits, that's shortly to be made public. Think its first airing is this Thursday.

Downton Abbey was a BBC production I enjoyed watching also, but again, it wasn't a classic mystery. I missed the last episode of Sherlock, but thought the first two in this latest series were quite good. The plot problems of the first season were not apparent this time around.

Have to say that most of the shows I watch are probably re-runs. I do like to watch The Mentalist occasionally, and on certain weeknights, Monk follows the Big Bang Theory, so I've been watching those episodes. I caught a glimpse of Num3ers the other night, but I was getting sleepy, so I did not watch the rest of the story. I did enjoy those episodes a few years back. If I really want to watch a good mystery, I have to get out my Poirot DVD's that feature David Suchet with HP's supporting cast of Hastings, Inspector Japp,. and Miss Lemon. For me, Joan Hickson spoiled me for watching the Miss Marple mysteries. I find that if I do end up watching any of the newer MM versions that the BBC has produced, it's because there's a guest actor or actress whom I want to watch.

Hope the new season of Inspector Lewis isn't too far away--that is usually excellent. Sorry-- think I got rather far afield from the subject of shows being canceled. I'm usually one of the last to find out if a show I occasionally watch has been taken off the air, because any of the really popular shows now make it into re-runs before the original series has ended.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm in total agreement.  I hate not knowing how some of these will end.  At least the networks should let them know before hand, hey we are going to cancel your show, make sure your season ends with closure.  Not annoucing the cancelation after the last episode aired.  Some of the shows cancelled this year, ended with huge cliffhangers, and now I'm crushed to never know what happened.

One show that did do an ending after it was cancelled was Daybreak with Taye Diggs.  One the DVD release they brought the actors back to film a finale that would wrap up all the storylines and it didn't feel out of place or rushed.  I loved it.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Alcatraz isn't coming back???  What a shame!  I was really enjoying it, and there was so much left to find out about what happened!  I guess now we'll never know.  I think when a show like that is cancelled, the network should at least commission a wrap-up movie or something.

I'm enjoying Touch, with Kiefer Sutherland.  I hope that one makes it.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Preachy always bothers me in shows.  I just wish they had ended Awake, Alcatraz, Unforgettable, A Gifted Man, Rine, Missing, GCB, and Terra Nova in such a way that those of use who got invested in the shows would have some payoff.  It makes you nervous to start watching those types of shows in the next season.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I liked Harry's Law at first, but then it got kind of preachy. And I hate it when shows have bad endings (i.e. where justice isn't served). I stopped watching Law and Order: SVU for that reason, and I stopped watching Harry's Law for that reason, too. 

I like NCIS (the reruns) and sometimes I watch Castle, even though it's extremely far-fetched. Mainly I watch English series - the new Sherlock (even though it's nothing like the original stories, or maybe BECAUSE it's nothing like them), The Last Detective, New Tricks, Midsomer Murders, Murder in Suburbia, Murder City, Foyle's War and old episodes of Poirot and Joan Hicks as Miss Marple.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I adore The Mentalist, at least that's one show that will be coming back next year.

Another show I like is The Glades on USA.  I think the new season should be starting pretty soon.

I find that I only watch the PBS Mystery series when it's an Agatha Christie installment.  For some odd reason, I can't seem to get into the other ones.

Fricka wrote:

I think these kinds of shows go in cycles, Ryan. Usually if a type of show is successful, there's bound to be several others like it popping up--that just is the Hollywood mentality.

Right now my fave TV show is not a mystery show, but a comedy--The Big Bang Theory. Sure enough, TBS has another show with four men who are social misfits, that's shortly to be made public. Think its first airing is this Thursday.

Downton Abbey was a BBC production I enjoyed watching also, but again, it wasn't a classic mystery. I missed the last episode of Sherlock, but thought the first two in this latest series were quite good. The plot problems of the first season were not apparent this time around.

Have to say that most of the shows I watch are probably re-runs. I do like to watch The Mentalist occasionally, and on certain weeknights, Monk follows the Big Bang Theory, so I've been watching those episodes. I caught a glimpse of Num3ers the other night, but I was getting sleepy, so I did not watch the rest of the story. I did enjoy those episodes a few years back. If I really want to watch a good mystery, I have to get out my Poirot DVD's that feature David Suchet with HP's supporting cast of Hastings, Inspector Japp,. and Miss Lemon. For me, Joan Hickson spoiled me for watching the Miss Marple mysteries. I find that if I do end up watching any of the newer MM versions that the BBC has produced, it's because there's a guest actor or actress whom I want to watch.

Hope the new season of Inspector Lewis isn't too far away--that is usually excellent. Sorry-- think I got rather far afield from the subject of shows being canceled. I'm usually one of the last to find out if a show I occasionally watch has been taken off the air, because any of the really popular shows now make it into re-runs before the original series has ended.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I think the reason the Agatha Christie shows are easier to watch is that we mystery buffs know that the end will be all right, with the detective finally finding out whodunnit, and getting justice at the end. Some of the other shows you mentioned, apparently don't do that, which incidentally makes them weak mystery shows. Deviating from the tried and true format is just not "On," in my view. I haven't been able to get into any of the MI programs because they are so convoluted, I can't tell the difference between the good guys and bad guys. That's a real downer that I don't need. If I want to be depressed, I can just watch the regular news!

BTW, I agree that it's pretty lame the way the networks don't let the viewers know when a show is being canceled until it's actually happening. I wonder if the actors on these shows are also taken unawares. it's just a shoddy way of doing business, as far as I'm concerned.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Preachy always bothers me in shows.  I just wish they had ended Awake, Alcatraz, Unforgettable, A Gifted Man, Rine, Missing, GCB, and Terra Nova in such a way that those of use who got invested in the shows would have some payoff.  It makes you nervous to start watching those types of shows in the next season.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

My daughter is having fits because several shows she loves are going off the air.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I adore The Mentalist, at least that's one show that will be coming back next year.

Another show I like is The Glades on USA.  I think the new season should be starting pretty soon.

I find that I only watch the PBS Mystery series when it's an Agatha Christie installment.  For some odd reason, I can't seem to get into the other ones.

Fricka wrote:

YES!!!! I can hardly wait for the next Inspector Lewis - that show just gets better and better!

Contributor
REDonald
0 Kudos

Re: What's your favorite detective/myste​ry TV show?

Am I the only one who used to watch and enjoy 'Hack'?  I thought the character was great, and the stories as well, and was sorry when it was cancelled.  It must have been about 10 years ago, maybe not quite.  The protaganist was a former police detective who was driving a cab.

Otherwise, I've always liked Law & Order, used to love Columbo, Murder She Wrote, Perry Mason, Magnum PI, Rockford Files.  I like L&O SVU less than L&O Criminal Intent.  I also enjoyed Cold Case and Without a Trace.

R.E. Donald, author of the Hunter Rayne highway mystery series
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What's your favorite detective/myste​ry TV show?

REDonald wrote:

Am I the only one who used to watch and enjoy 'Hack'?  I thought the character was great, and the stories as well, and was sorry when it was cancelled.  It must have been about 10 years ago, maybe not quite.  The protaganist was a former police detective who was driving a cab.

Otherwise, I've always liked Law & Order, used to love Columbo, Murder She Wrote, Perry Mason, Magnum PI, Rockford Files.  I like L&O SVU less than L&O Criminal Intent.  I also enjoyed Cold Case and Without a Trace.

Hack! I remember that show!

Hack Poster