Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What's your favorite detective/mystery TV show?

[ Edited ]

I have a new favorite to add to my list (which currently includes The Closer and Midsomer Murders, plus NCIS, Law & Order, Criminal Minds and all the usual suspects).

I watched HARRY'S LAW tonight and haven't stopped grinning since it started. 

*It stars Kathy Bates, who I adore

*It's set in Cincinnati, where I live

*Two main characters are introduced through totally random circumstances

*The characters are delicious

*The writing is brilliant

*The cute assistant (who bears a strong resemblance to my niece) was wearing a pair of darling cherry earrings in one of the early scenes - and I HAVE THOSE EARRINGS

*And Harry's law practice is set in a shoe store: Harriet's Law and Fine Shoes

WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE???

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What's your favorite detective/mystery TV show?

[ Edited ]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I must have missed that first episode, becke! Darn it! I was planning to watch it, too, as the trailers looked good to me. Kathy Bates is one of our best American actresses, although I think she is often underrated. She also has great comedic timing, which is not always the case with dramatic actresses.

Since the title of this thread is "What's your favorite detective/mystery show?", I have to say that right now it is "New Tricks." I also like "Foyle's War," and any episode featuring David Suchet as Hercule Poirot. I notice that early episodes of "Prime Suspect" starring Helen Mirren and "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" starring Jeremy Brett are also being aired at present. That kind of covers my favorite British mysteries. ( I have the feeling that I have left something out, but it will probably come to me later, or else someone else will mention it in here)

For American mysteries, right now I enjoy watching "Bones," "NCIS,"and "Num3ers." I will also watch "Criminal Minds," and any of the variations of Law and Order that are on, although my favorites are those featuring Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni.

I'd also like to mention some of the classic or older mysteries I've enjoyed in the past:

Columbo(the early years), Hawaii Five-O, The Rockford Files, Magnum PI, Murder She Wrote, and probably my most favorite of all, Remington Steele, which featured a young Pierce Brosnan. Shoot, I can't leave out Perry Mason, as I still watch that in re-runs, although they are on late at night(one advantage of being an occasional insomniac is finding interesting programs on TV!)There have been two productions of Nero Wolfe mysteries--one, back in the 1970's( as I remember) featured William Conrad as the fat detective and Lee Horsley as Archie Goodwin. A&E Network did a more recent version, produced by Timothy Hutton, who played Archie Goodwin.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Frequent Contributor
Sable677
0 Kudos

I have a lot of shows that I like such as CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, and NCIS-LA, but I think that Bones is my favorite,

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I adore NEW TRICKS - I was absolutely crushed when I realized they weren't filming any more episodes. 

I'm a latecomer to The Closer and I'm hooked on that one now. Someone told me this is the last season, so I'll have to content myself with catching up on all the old episodes.

I like the premise of Lie to Me but Cal Lightman drives me nuts. 

I have some "comfort" shows: NCIS, CSI New York, Law & Order Criminal Intent (I don't watch SVU anymore - I don't trust them to give me a satisfying ending), Castle (jumps the shark constantly but it's still fun to watch).

I'm a huge fan of Foyle's War, Inspector Lewis and Midsomer Murders. Other British mysteries I like are Murder City, Jonathan Creek, Murder in Suburbia, Wire in the Blood, New Street Law and Hustle (a show about con artists, but sort of a mystery, too).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The first trailer I found for Harry's Law was awful - it gave away the whole first episode. This one is better:

Author
RyeJames
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

"The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" starring Jeremy Brett are also being aired at present. That kind of covers my favorite British mysteries. ( I have the feeling that I have left something out, but it will probably come to me later, or else someone else will mention it in here)

For American mysteries, right now I enjoy watching "Bones," "NCIS,"and "Num3ers." I will also watch "Criminal Minds," and any of the variations of Law and Order that are on, although my favorites are those featuring Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni.

I'd also like to mention some of the classic or older mysteries I've enjoyed in the past:

Columbo(the early years), Hawaii Five-O, The Rockford Files, Magnum PI, Murder She Wrote,  

Some pretty good picks there. Columbo is a classic. Also really enjoyed 5-0, Rockford, Magnum, and Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett version). I've also been watching the new Hawaii Five-0 and I like it. Not as good as the original but for some reason it appeals to me, and I wasn't planning on liking it since I usually  hate remakes.

Author of The Assassin, Escape, Deadlock, Bounty Hunter, Day of the Assassin http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=book&ATH=Rye+James
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I agree - the new Hawaii 5-0 is better than I expected.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I don't think I watch any at the moment.  I did see a few episodes of Castle and enjoyed it, when it came on after Dancing with the Stars, but since then I usually opt for a movie at 9 and miss Castle.

Of course, I love most of the mysteries that have been on Mystery! and Masterpiece over the years.  Hard to choose a favorite!

As for vintage shows, Perry Mason, as mentioned elsewhere, is a classic.  Another early favorite was Mannix.  I also watched Baretta, Starsky and Hutch, Barnaby Jones, Vegas, the one where Lee Horsley drove the Excalibur (blanking on the name), Cagney and Lacy, and I'm sure many others that are slipping my mind.  With the recent passing away of Ann Francis, I was reminded of the wonderful Honey West.  Oh, and the Avengers, of course!  I do sometimes watch old episodes of Simon and Simon, which comes on at 11, but that is usually my reading time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Perry Mason, The Hardy Boys, Castle, Bones, The Glades, Murder, She Wrote, the new Hawaii 5-0, Justified

I want to throw in Scarecrow & Mrs. King but not sure it really counts.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, I used to love Scarecrow and Mrs. King! And the old Perry Mason shows, too. 

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

My favorite in the new BBC version of Sherlock Holmes, called SHERLOCK, where Holmes' and Dr. Watson's adventures take place in 21st century London. It's not playing now, but apparently three more episodes will air on BBC in the fall, then they should make their way to the US. I can't wait!

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

My favorite in the new BBC version of Sherlock Holmes, called SHERLOCK, where Holmes' and Dr. Watson's adventures take place in 21st century London. It's not playing now, but apparently three more episodes will air on BBC in the fall, then they should make their way to the US. I can't wait!

I think "Watson" is filming the new Hobbit movie while the show is on hiatus - I hope they don't recast his part!

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My fav. detective/mystery shows are Bones, Monk (reruns), NCIS, Psych, The Glades, & The Closer.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, I saw the first one and I liked it. I love Bones. I love the books that Kathy writes. I am reading the newest one- Spider bones.

I love the first Law and Order. I miss that show.

I also like the other ones. SVU and Criminal Intent. I have not seen the new one.

ReadingPatti

dulcinea3

I just remembered some more recent, limited-run series that are more mysteries than detective shows, I think.  This past year there was Persons Unknown, with a group of people trapped in a town for reasons unknown, and a couple of years ago there was Harper's Island, with members of a wedding party getting killed off one by one.  Even Lost was a kind of mystery series.

Oh, and the Lee Horsley series I couldn't remember the name of was Matt Houston.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I posted a link to this thread on Facebook, too, and people keep mentioning series I'm not familiar with - like those shows Dulcinea just mentioned. What else am I missing??

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

I'm watching the new Hawaii 50 and really liking it. I used to watch the original with my dad. One of the best most recent show is Damages with Glenn Close. I believe new episodes will air only on Direc TV (which luckily I have)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ms_linda wrote:

I'm watching the new Hawaii 50 and really liking it. I used to watch the original with my dad. One of the best most recent show is Damages with Glenn Close. I believe new episodes will air only on Direc TV (which luckily I have)

I've seen a couple episodes of the new Hawaii 5-0 and it was pretty good. I haven't seen Damages, yet - no DirecTV at my house. :-(

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Oh my gosh.. Thank goodness for my DVR. I like Castle, The Closer, NCIS, Criminal Minds, Supernatural, Fringe, Bones, Hawaii 5-0, House, Sherlock Holmes. BBC America - Being Human, Doctor Who, Waking the Dead. CSi and CSI NY. Psych, While Collar, Memphis Heat ... Just to name a few :smileyhappy: