Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: What was the first mystery book you ever read?

I started with Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys. But I really got hooked on Agatha Christie. I cherish the Agatha Christie books I have.

pen21

becke_davis

I lucked out.  I was babysitting one night, and when the parents came home and saw me reading an Agatha Christie book, they gave me a huge box of 1930s and 40s paperback Christies.  Still have most of them.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I lucked out.  I was babysitting one night, and when the parents came home and saw me reading an Agatha Christie book, they gave me a huge box of 1930s and 40s paperback Christies.  Still have most of them.
What a treasure that is Becke! And I too after graduating from The Happy Hollisters to Nancy Drew I must admit it was the queen herself that made me love mysteries.

Reader 2
9teddybear
0 Kudos

First mystery I read was a Bobbsey Twin book, then I started to read Nancy Drew books.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

9teddybear wrote:
First mystery I read was a Bobbsey Twin book, then I started to read Nancy Drew books.
So many of us started with Nancy Drew!  What will the kids of today recall as their first books -- Goosebumps? Harry Potter?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

This isn't the first mystery story I read because frankly I can not remember what that was. But a realization I've come to since mother's day, and my mom confirmed it. Why I got hooked on mystery stories, feel free to chuckle. My mom has always watched mystery on PBS, she sent me a picture of me I couldn't have been 5, sitting on her lap totally enthralled watching that show with her. It's my mom's fault. (chuckle)

New User
danni217
0 Kudos

I loved Agatha Christie books and Nancy Drew mysteries were the best!!!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

This isn't the first mystery story I read because frankly I can not remember what that was. But a realization I've come to since mother's day, and my mom confirmed it. Why I got hooked on mystery stories, feel free to chuckle. My mom has always watched mystery on PBS, she sent me a picture of me I couldn't have been 5, sitting on her lap totally enthralled watching that show with her. It's my mom's fault. (chuckle)

Can you tell which show it was -- Poirot maybe?

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

I just read a card that WGBH sent me about the upcoming Poirot and Marple mysteries, and I think it said that David Suchet has been playing Poirot for 22 years! :smileysurprised: I hadn't realized that it had been that long!

I'm too lazy to go check my bookshelves, but I think they may be mixing up sleuths again.  Although I think that the two Poirots are his own.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Twenty-two years??? How can that be? It seems like yesterday I started watching Poirot!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Looks like a Sherlock Holms perhaps. You can see the kind of hat he generally pictured with.

New User
ChesterC
0 Kudos

I read some Hardy Boys books as a youngster, but the books that got me hooked on mysteries, and becoming a mystery writer, were Horace McCoy's They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and No Pockets in a Shroud. The latter involved a newspaper reporter caught up in a murder investigation. I was a neophyte reporter on The Knoxville Journal (this was 1948) and promply sat at my little portable typewriter and banged out a novel about a reporter solving a mystery. It was pretty amateurish and was rejected by the publisher I sent it to, but I stuck with the idea of writing mysteries.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wow, your first mysteries were a long way from Nancy Drew!  You've got me thinking -- what mysteries have stuck with you over the years, whether they were the first ones you read or not? Which authors got you hooked, back in the day?

For me, Agatha Christie was a shoo-in. But I also really loved Phillip MacDonald's The List of Adrian Messenger and all of Paul Gallico's books. I liked Mary Stewart and Evelyn Anthony, plus Victoria Holt, Susan Howatch, Velda Johnston, Helen MacInnes, Dorothy Eden, Phyllis A. Whitney, Anya Seton and a host of female authors.

At the same time, I was hooked on Ed McBain, Alistair McLean (for awhile), Dell Shannon, Ray Bradbury, Alfred Hitchcock and the Twilight Zone short story collections, Dick Francis, John Creasey, and the list goes on.

What about you -- who were the favorites? 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Well, of course I already mentioned the Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew, that I read in grade school.  I remember discovering Joan Aiken when I was in about 6th or 7th grade, and going through a bunch of her books from the library.  I guess the next group of authors were the traditional grandes dames - Christie, Sayers, and Marsh.  Other authors I remember reading in the earlier days of my membership in my mystery book club (which I've been with for decades!) are Elizabeth Lemarchand, Charlotte MacLeod (Peter Shandy series), and Antonia Fraser (her Jemima Shore mysteries).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:
Well, of course I already mentioned the Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew, that I read in grade school.  I remember discovering Joan Aiken when I was in about 6th or 7th grade, and going through a bunch of her books from the library.  I guess the next group of authors were the traditional grandes dames - Christie, Sayers, and Marsh.  Other authors I remember reading in the earlier days of my membership in my mystery book club (which I've been with for decades!) are Elizabeth Lemarchand, Charlotte MacLeod (Peter Shandy series), and Antonia Fraser (her Jemima Shore mysteries).
Oh, Dulcinea, I read ALL of those authors! I had forgotten to mention those, plus Margaret Yorke, Robert Barnard, Doris Miles Disney, Charlotte Armstrong and even A.A. Milne (The Red House). Thanks for reminding me!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

iAlso forgot Celia Fremlin, John Dickson Carr/Carter Dickson, Dorothy L. Sayers, Marjorie Allingham and Ruth Rendell.  So many great authors!
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

I read all of the Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney novels as a teen and young adult.  Also liked the MM Kaye (Far Pavilions) mysteries Death in...Kenya, Zanzabar, etc.

Death in Zanzibar 

Death in Kenya   

And Daphne DuMaurier, Rebecca  & Don't Look Now *shiver*

Tc

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My favorite Daphne DuMaurier books were Jamaica Inn and Don't Look Now.  Thank you, thank you for mentioning M.M. Kaye -- I love her books and I've been trying to remember her name for AGES!!!
New User
jlayman
0 Kudos

Nancy Drew Secret of the Old Clock when I was about 9 or 10.  Was hooked from the first sentence.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well I'm with you Becke for me it was definitely the Grande Dame Ms. Christie. I guess as a young pre-teen and older a woman successful in any endeavor made the wee suffragette in me roar I AM WOMAN!

And in turn I enjoy many women authors in many genres now. A few of my favorites today in the mystery genre are:

Lisa Gardner

Deborah Crombie

Lisa Jackson 

Linda Fairstein

Linda Barnes

Tami Hoag

PJ Tracy

Faye Kellerman

Iris Johansen

Sarah Graves

Heather Graham

Sue Grafton

Betty Webb

Mary Anna Evans

Linda Ladd

& Tara Taylor Quinn

There are more, but these are the authors that I pre-order books from.