Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis

What was the first mystery book you ever read?

The first mystery I ever read was a Weekly Reader selection called The Secret of the Old Postbox.  It's not in print anymore, but I found a description of a reissue (under a new title) at an antiquarian book site:

STERLING, DOROTHY Mystery of the Empty House (Org. Secret of the Old Post Box)

Scholastic. 1971. Paperback. Ill.: Jane Goldsborough. Pat moves out of an apartment in New York into a home in Haven, a place old enough to have homes dating back to the Revolutionary War and also the place where her father grew up as a young boy. She hopes to find some friends in her new home, but is met by a cold reception from a group of boys who wanted to play baseball with her. She finds out the reason some of the boys are in such a bad mood is that they are about to lose their old family home and everything thinks that they great great great grandfather was a spy for the British. Pat helps the boys find a box in their home that proves differently and helps them to save their home. 

This book aroused my interest in mysteries, and after that Nancy Drew books and Agatha Christie  got me hooked for life.  What book got you started in the mystery genre?

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: What was the first mystery book you ever read?

Can't recall the title, but for me, it was definitely Nancy Drew. I also read lots of Hardy Boys.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

The Moonstone Castle Mystery.  I still remember the thick green industrial covers on the Nancy Drew books at the library. 

This is a fun question Becke...brings back great memories!

t

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I loved the cool silhouettes inside the covers of the Nancy Drew books.  I had the old Grosset and Dunlap green-covered editions and the dark blue tweedy editions.  Later, I was excited when they came out with the fancy covers with colored pictures on them.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what was first.  But I remember reading Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Encyclopedia Brown books.  I also started reading Agatha Christie books when I was in 4th or 5th grade. 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm not sure what was first.  But I remember reading Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Encyclopedia Brown books.  I also started reading Agatha Christie books when I was in 4th or 5th grade. 

Ryan - Do you remember which Christie you read first?  My first was Funerals are Fatal.  The first one I was able to figure out was A Murder is Announced.

My first Nancy Drew was either the one about the Twisted Candle or The Secret of the Old Clock. 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Ryan - Do you remember which Christie you read first?  My first was Funerals are Fatal.  The first one I was able to figure out was A Murder is Announced.
My first Nancy Drew was either the one about the Twisted Candle or The Secret of the Old Clock. 

I think my first Christie was either Halloween Party or Murder at Hazelmoor (I think that one had a different British title).  I also figured out A Murder is Announced!  I was so proud of myself!

Can't remember which Nancy Drew I read first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

I was at my Grandma's house and found Mystery of the Moss Covered Mansion in her bookshelf. My mom had at one time had all the Nancy Drew books but had given them all away except for this one book. She regretted that later after I became hooked on them! I remember it was the blue cover with the orange writing. I always loved the old Nancy Drew's better than the new ones, we used to find them at thrift stores.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

It was one of these two books.  After I read them I was hooked.  I remember telling my mom that year that all I wanted for Christmas were Agatha Christie books.

The Mirror Crack'd (Miss Marple Series) 

The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot Series) 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, those are all good ones!  I would read anything I could find around the house, which also included Herman Hesse, Ogden Nash, James Thurber, P.G. Wodehouse, Leslie Charteris, G.K. Chesterton, Paul Gallico, Aldous Huxley and Evelyn Waugh.  I was the oldest of 5 kids, so I mainly read library books.  Whenever I'd stay with my aunt, though, she always bought me a Nancy Drew.  I LOVED visiting her!
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Becke, this brings back some great memories.  My first Nancy Drew book was The Haunted Showboat.  I would devour each book I found, and how I would search and search the bookstores and libraries for those elusive ones from the middle of the series. I continued to collect them thru the first few that came out in paperback and had found all the original 56. Some old blue covers with the orange lettering, lots and lots of the old blue tweed, and then came the yellow spines. Packed away carefully for any daughters that I might have.  Well, the daughters came, three to be exact, and not one read Nancy Drew.   After all the kids were grown, I decided to collect the rest of the series. I had fun chasing some of them down thru local used bookstores, online, ebay, anywhere.  I remember making my husband stop at a couple of used bookstores in Billings, Montana on our way to South Dakota for vacation one year. I was kind of sad when that last one came in the mail from a huge used bookstore in Portland, Oregon.  It's so true, it's the journey, not the destination.

Nancy 

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
dhaupt
0 Kudos

When I was young, in the early 50's (very early), my parents bought me each how ever long it took to come out an edition of The Happy Hollisters. It was a family that loved to solve mysteries and the first volume was called The Happy Hollisters. I still have the collection today. I think there were over 20 books.
Inspired Contributor
jlrouse
0 Kudos

I'm sure I read my first mystery in school at some point, but the first mystery I remember grabbing my attention and making me notice the genre was "Three to get Deadly" by Janet Evanovich.  My mother got it at random from a book club when I was in high school and I read it out of pure boredom.  I was instantly in love and I went out and bought books 1 - 7 (that's all that were out at the time) and I've been reading the series ever since!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

harleyhoney wrote:

Becke, this brings back some great memories.  My first Nancy Drew book was The Haunted Showboat.  I would devour each book I found, and how I would search and search the bookstores and libraries for those elusive ones from the middle of the series. I continued to collect them thru the first few that came out in paperback and had found all the original 56. Some old blue covers with the orange lettering, lots and lots of the old blue tweed, and then came the yellow spines. Packed away carefully for any daughters that I might have.  Well, the daughters came, three to be exact, and not one read Nancy Drew.   After all the kids were grown, I decided to collect the rest of the series. I had fun chasing some of them down thru local used bookstores, online, ebay, anywhere.  I remember making my husband stop at a couple of used bookstores in Billings, Montana on our way to South Dakota for vacation one year. I was kind of sad when that last one came in the mail from a huge used bookstore in Portland, Oregon.  It's so true, it's the journey, not the destination.

Nancy 

The Haunted Showboat!  I'd forgotten all about that one.  And the Moss-Covered Mansion -- what was it about those titles that made them so evocative?

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
When I was young, in the early 50's (very early), my parents bought me each how ever long it took to come out an edition of The Happy Hollisters. It was a family that loved to solve mysteries and the first volume was called The Happy Hollisters. I still have the collection today. I think there were over 20 books.

Debbie,

I remember the Happy Hollisters!  I also liked the Dana Girls, but had a hard time finding those for some reason. The local library only had a few and we didn't have a book store in town. My parents would order the newest Nancy Drew for me from Sears every Christmas.

Also remember reading Trixie Belden and of course Cherry Ames...since I've wanted to be a nurse as long as I can remember.  I've been one now for 31 years, but haven't had any adventures like Cherry's :smileyvery-happy:

Teresa

Contributor
blindjustice247
0 Kudos

The mystery book that I read was,  The Westing Game

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, I LOVED The Westing Game!  My kids both recommended it, so I read it after they did.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just added this topic to my blog, too:

http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/ 

New User
Dory2009
0 Kudos

The Bishop Murder Case by S.S. Van Dine. After that, I became obcessed with mysteries. I love Sherlock Holmes and Every novel writen by Agatha Christie.:womanhappy:
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dory2009 wrote:
The Bishop Murder Case by S.S. Van Dine. After that, I became obcessed with mysteries. I love Sherlock Holmes and Every novel writen by Agatha Christie.:womanhappy:
Oh, I love the classic mystery authors.  Has anyone read Carter Dickson/John Dickson Carr, G. K. Chesterton or John Creasy?