Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
dasz
0 Kudos

Re: What were the first mysteries that you read as a kid?

Becke - thanks from me as well for that list of Nancy Drew books. My first book was (I think!) The Secret in the Old Attic--if that's the one with the tarantula and black window spider (you know that scared the daylights out of a 10 year old scaredy cat!) Gosh, I wish I had some of those old books. Nancy was my hero (hmmm...my first car was a light blue MG Midget and my hair was a much lighter blonde by then :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
dasz
0 Kudos

Heh heh ... I just read my previous post. Of course I meant black widow spider. I was all wrapped up in my wonderful memories of a blue sports car.
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

ms_linda wrote:
I was a huge Nancy Drew fan. My mom used to find the old books at thrift stores along with Beverly Grey, Judy Bolton and Dana Girls. A few years ago I collected the full series of Judy Bolton books and had such fun reading them. The old Nancy Drew books are very dated, it's kind of shocking now to read the language and racism that was accepted back then.

One book I remember buying from Scholastic through school was a mystery called "Jane Emily". That stands out as being very scary, I wonder how it would be reading it now?

Message Edited by ms_linda on 01-08-2008 07:14 PM

I think they reprinted the Jane-Emily book by Patricia Clapp (I loved that book too).  I must read that again.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

I started reading the Nancy Drew series.  My brother had a few Hardy Boys and I read them also
Reader
Circa
0 Kudos

The first mystery book I read was "The Red Room Ridle" by Scott Corbett. I then moved on to Trixie Beldon, Agatha Christie, and Phyllis Whitney.

I never was into Nancy Drew - I remember the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew TV show - I didn't like it - that's probably why I never read Nancy Drew.

Circa 

Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

My first mystery books that I read were the Nancy Drew series. I was hooked. Now 50 years later I love mysteries
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

I cannot remember a time in my life that I didn't love a good mystery book! I inherited my older sister's Nancy Drew books. I also read Trixie Belden books and others.  Then I as a preteen I got hooked on Alfred Hitchcock

msyteries in paperback.  Instead of having my parents buy me candy or chocolates for valentines day or easter, I would request an Alfred Hitchcock mystery book.  I ended up with almost the whole series. Later I got hooked on Agatha Christie.  I will always love a good mystery!

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I still have some of the old Alfred Hitchcock books.  And the Twilight Zone short stories, too!
Contributor
TCovington
0 Kudos

I love this question. I started with Encyclopedia Brown, and then as I got older I fell in love with Agatha Christie.
TRAE TRAE
New User
DanJohnson212
0 Kudos

When I was about 7 years old, I was a Navy brat, and my family lived on the Navy base on Guam. My mom did the weekly shopping at the base exchange every Saturday, and every week she brought me home a new Hardy Boys mystery and my sister got a new Nancy Drew book. I would get started on my book on Saturday afternoon and I would be done with it by Sunday night. Then, for want of something to read, I would sneak into my sister's room and liberate one of her Nancy Drews (had to sneak, because, as a boy, my friends would have teased me mercilessly!) to help me pass the time until next Saturday. I still have over 50 of the old HB books, and I revisit them from time to time as a pleasant reminder of a simpler time.

I was also a fan of the Bobbsey Twins and Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Three Investigators, and another series that I thoriughly enjoyed as a kid were the Brains Benton Mysteries. I haven't seen anyone else mention those here- does anyone else remember them? Brains and his buddy Jimmy (Brains referred to Jimmy as Operative Three for some reason- there were no Operatives One or Two) solved various mysteries.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I had Navy friends who lived on Guam, too.  Sounds like you had an interesting childhood!  Reading this thread, it just goes to show how the books you read as a child impact your adult reading habits.
New User
DanJohnson212
0 Kudos

That kind of upbringing has its good points and its bad ones. Although I met and became friends with many, many more people than I probably would have if I had led a more sedentary life when I was growing up, I never really got the privelege that many others have of making a life-long friend. You know, a kid or a group of kids that you meet in kindergarten, grow up and go all the way through school with and still keep in touch with. It seemed like I was always at the front of the classroom standing next to a teacher who was saying "Boys and girls, we have a new student..." As it turned out, when my dad retired from the service when I was in the 6th grade and we moved here to GA, there was one kid in my class that I wound up going to school with the rest of the way, and he and I became really good buddies. We went through the seventh grade at one school, then I moved and he just happened to also move into the same school district over the course of that summer. but when we graduated HE went into the Navy and we lost touch.

I think that may be one reason I became such an avid reader. Even though I kept leaving friends behind, I always had my books, and the recurring characters in them were like friends to me!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I can understand that feeling -- hard to believe now, but I was shy as a kid and I found so many great friends in books!  My dad was an Army brat and moved all over.  I've always thought it must be difficult living like that, especially (as you mentioned) always being the new kid on the block.