Correspondent
momgee

Re: Who are some of your favorite mystery authors?

I read every one of them, Becke and really enjpy them. Laura Childs also has a cozy mystery series set in New Orleans and the setting is a scrapbooking shop. Visit my blog and you can enter for Oolong Dead until April 4th. Who knows, you might get lucky, AGAIN!  Lol ! Although, there is only one book this time. Look under the contest post and there is a post called Cover Attraction and you can see a book about tea in America. Really enticing cover.

http:///kayespenguinposts.blogspot.com  

Kaye

becke_davis wrote:
I haven't read those tea shop mysteries -- what do you think of those?  I only just noticed them when I was looking for tea-related books for a discussion we were having at the Garden book club board.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Author
Beth_Groundwater

My home state of Colorado has an active and varied writing community, and I'm a big fan of my fellow Colorado mystery authors, including:

Margaret Coel

Maggie Sefton

Christine Goff

Kathy Brandt

Robert Spiller

Linda Berry

Diane Mott Davidson

Mike Befeler

Patricia Stoltey

Cricket McRae

I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting, but I bet you didn't know there were so many Colorado mystery authors, including myself with my Claire Hanover gift basket designer mystery series!

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
becke_davis

I've read a couple of these authors, but, you're right, I think there's someone else that we're both forgetting.
Contributor
Bedens

Susan Wittig Albert, who writes the wonderful China Bayles and Beatrix Potter mystery series as well as the Victorian and Ewardian mystery series under the pseudonym Robin Paige.

Victoria Thompson, author of the Gaslight mystery series. It is fantastic!! I'm currently reading the fourth installment and I cannot put it down! :smileyhappy:

Bernadette

Frequent Contributor
Fan4SFGiants
0 Kudos

Lisa Gardner

Brian Freeman

Agatha Christie

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Reading For Pleasure

LTsypkin
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, Hi, Patti here. Here is my list of  my favorite mystery authors.

Jonathan Kellerman

Faye Kellerman

Sue Grafton

Catherine Coulter( FBI series)

Linda Fairstein

Erica Spindler

Lisa Scottoline

Sir Arthor Conan Doyle

J.D Robb

James Patterson's Woman's Murder Club series

Patricia Cornwell

Carrie Bebris( Mr and Mrs. Darcy series)

These are the one I keep up with. I am sure that there are more. I just can't think of any more right now. I am still waking up.

Talk to you later.

ReadingPatti

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, I just saw that I have posted before with much of the same list. Oh well. I love talking about books.

I forgot Kathy Rieches.

I love the show Bones.

These are just so many books and authors out there that I can't keep up.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I like Kathy Reichs, too. Have you read Patricia Cornwell? You might like her, too.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, Yes, I love Patricia Cornwell. I have the Scarpetta Factor. I got it for myself. I have not got to it yet. IT is on my TBR pile. I am still working on weeding out and finshing up library books. I really must start reading some of my own books. My TBR pile is still growing.

My brother is giving two small bookcases so I can put more of my books on shelves. Yeah. I can think use a plastic tote I have for my sweaters and sheets and pillow cases. I still want one more large bookcase by my bed and I want to get rid of my cardboard boxes and got through some of my books to see what I have. I think there are some I can give to my library or to friends.

I am enjoying reading the fifth of the Carrie Bebris Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery. It is Intrigue at Highbury. I really like these mysteries.

Talk to you soon.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My dream is to have a house with built in bookcases from wall to wall. I NEVER have enough!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

for your house Becke it would have to be wall to wall floor to ceiling and in every room even the closets and bathrooms, attic, basement, garage, lawn mower shed, dog house. Well you get the drift.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's kind of like that now. There are books in every room including the garage and the bathrooms.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

I am enjoying reading the fifth of the Carrie Bebris Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery. It is Intrigue at Highbury. I really like these mysteries.

Talk to you soon.

ReadingPatti

Those do look like fun!  I had never heard of them before.  It looks like the only book left for her to base one on is Persuasion.  I wonder if she will end the series there.

Of course the Darcys are fictional characters, but you might also like the Jane Austen series by Stephanie Barron.  I haven't read all of them yet; when my book club stopped offering them, I thought the series had ended and later found out that there were a number of them that had come out since.  I have one in my TBR pile.  Here is the first one:

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Series #1) 

It looks like there are nine in the series so far; I have the first four, and the 6th is in my TBR pile (don't have #5).

I tried a book with Louisa May Alcott as the sleuth, but didn't care for it that much.  However, there is one with Charlotte Bronte (and her family) that I thought was excellent.  I hope that the author will write more.

The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Bronte 

Oooh!  I see that there will be another coming out next month!

Bedlam 

Although I see that the Bronte siblings have passed away by the time of this story, and I particularly liked the portrayal of Emily in the first one.  I will still be excited to read this one, though!  (Maybe once I've read the new Martha Grimes, Carolyn Hart, and Elizabeth Peters I just received the other day! - an embarrassment of riches!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

dhaupt, I think that discribes beck's house perfectly. I would love to own a log house and have a room full of full to celling bookcases. That is my dream. I have a house with my own libary in it. I could hide and read or stitch tell my hearts content.

I love watching house hunters on HGTV. My friend, Judy told me about a couple looking for a vacation home somewhere. This house had a libary that you had to use a ladder to get to the higher shelves. I wish I would have seen that one. They bought that. THe wife had her library and her husband could play golf as it was near a golf course or on a gold course.

So I guess we can dream.

Reading Patti

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Patti, I like your dream house.

Mine would be somewhere in the wilds of Montana or some other big sky place a big stone and Log monstrosity with unfinished beams all over the place big windows a walk in fire place, an outside fireplace with outdoor kitchen and of course the whole second floor dedicated to my library. And enough rooms to invite all my friends to while away the winter snowed in with me.

No moose heads on the walls though.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I found this online - a House of Books. Wouldn't work for me, though - it would fall down when I pulled a book out to read!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I could live with this, though:

This one is a little scary:

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Reading Patti wrote:

I love watching house hunters on HGTV. My friend, Judy told me about a couple looking for a vacation home somewhere. This house had a libary that you had to use a ladder to get to the higher shelves. I wish I would have seen that one. They bought that. THe wife had her library and her husband could play golf as it was near a golf course or on a gold course.

So I guess we can dream.

Reading Patti

Reading Patti:

Well, I am at my 2nd home in Assateague MD. We are 3 miles from the beach with the wild ponies and I have a golf course in my backyard (my husband is golfing right now). All I have to do is put in the library and move all my books in and I'll be right there! Close enough to read at the beach too!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie! I went to Assateague years ago. My father had to go to Maryland on business, and since we had a big family and didn't go on many vacation, my parents packed us all in the station wagon and we drove there. My younger sister was in love with MISTY OF CHINCOTEAGUE and begged to go there, so we ended up touring that whole area. It was beautiful there!

Misty of Chincoteague

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Eadie! I went to Assateague years ago. My father had to go to Maryland on business, and since we had a big family and didn't go on many vacation, my parents packed us all in the station wagon and we drove there. My younger sister was in love with MISTY OF CHINCOTEAGUE and begged to go there, so we ended up touring that whole area. It was beautiful there!

Misty of Chincoteague

When I was in 4th grade, my teacher took a different position as traveling French teacher to the town's elementary schools (we started with a class a week or something like that in the 5th grade).  She had had a small library of paperbacks at the back of the room that we could read and borrow, and when she left, she bundled up selections to give to each of us, taking our interests into consideration.  So thoughtful!  I guess she realized I liked animals, because I got Misty of Chincoteague, The Incredible Journey, and Old Yeller, as well as a book about a candy-striper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia