Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
VTfan

Re: Who are some of your favorite mystery authors?

Susan Conant

Leslie Meier

Lilian Jackson Braun

Dana Stabnow

Nevada Barr

Tony Hillerman

Dorothy Gilman

Robert van Gulik

Sue Grafton

These are some of the authors I've enjoyed.  I am rather new to mysteries, so I know I will be discovering more favorites.

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen

Dear dulcinea3 ~~~

I was in a rush making my last posting ( as I am again right now - time limit, you see ) ---

I made some assumptions and assertions in my last letter which were incorrect -

You see, I had read a few books by Ellis Peters ( from the "Cadfael" series ) - and I remembered that "Ellis Peters" was a psuedonym ( for the author's given name ) so I erroneously lept to the conclusion that the other name was:

"Elizabeth Peters" ---

I also incorrectly noted G.K. Chesterson's name as being: "C.K. Chesterson"---

And, although I noted "Cozies" as being my favorites, many of the stories I have read in my time are not necessarily in that genre, but they definitely mostly have a pronounced British flavor to them...

( Lillian Jackson Braun being just about the only American Mystery writer I have read to any great extent ) ---

I'd like to say a little more about this, but right now, I'm outa time...  

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
dasz

Oh - Leslie Meier's series (Lucy Stone, mother of 4, part-time reporter in Tinker's Cove, ME)...I'd forgotten how much I've enjoyed this series.  Good writing, good mysteries and great location.

Graham Landrum's first mystery, "The Famous DAR Murder Mystery" is wonderful.  You know this man was married to a club woman!  The rest of the series is good but nowhere near as great as the first one.

Anne George was one of my favorite mystery authors.  I loved all the books in her Southern Sisters series.

Valerie Wolzien's series featuring Connecticut housewife sleuth Susan Henshaw is another favorite of mine.

Richard Lockridge wrote several series but my favorite featured Inspector Merton Heimrich of the NYS Police in Hawthorne, NY. Most of the mysteries took place in Putnam County NY.

M. C. Beaton's two series featuring Hamish MacBeth and Agatha Raisin are terrific :smileyhappy:

I love that website Stop You're Killing Me.  I've been looking through it to discover new series that might interest me.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's funny that no one has mentioned Leslie Meier's books before.  I've been reading her books for years, and I really like them.  Candy Cane Murder  Bake Sale Murder 

Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery)  Turkey Day Murder  Valentine Murder

New Year's Eve Murder  Star Spangled Murder   Wedding Day Murder  

Trick or Treat Murder  Birthday Party Murder  Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery) 

Father's Day Murder  Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery)  

St. Patrick's Day Murder     Mail-Order Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery)  

If you like those, you might also like Jill Churchill's books.

The Accidental Florist (Jane Jeffry Series #16)  

Someone to Watch over Me (Grace and Favor Series #3)  

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Grace and Favor Series #7)  

Love for Sale (Grace and Favor Series #4)  

In the Still of the Night (Grace and Favor Series #2)  

House of Seven Mabels (Jane Jeffry Series #13)  

Midsummer Night's Scream (Jane Jeffry Series #15)  

It Had to Be You (Grace and Favor Series #5)  

Who's Sorry Now? (Grace and Favor Series #6)  

Bell, Book, and Scandal (Jane Jeffry Series #14)  

Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry Series #1)  

Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry Series #3)  

From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry Series #6)  

Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry Series #2)  

Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry Series #10)  

Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry Series #12)  

Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry Series #7)  

Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry Series #9)   

War and Peas (Jane Jeffry Series #8)  

Anything Goes (Grace and Favor Series #1)  

Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry Series #4)  

Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry Series #11)  

Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry Series #5)  

Message Edited by becke_davis on 01-04-2009 11:48 PM
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen

Hello Again, dulcinea3 ~~~

As I noted before, many of the Mystery stories I have read in my time were not necessarily "Cozies", per se --- but the vast majority were written by British authors ---

[ & I consider Ngaio Marsh to be in that category, even though she spent most of her life in

New Zealand ] --- I don't know much about Elizabeth George ( I have not actually read any of her books, although I have seen several of the PBS "Mystery!" adaptions ) - is she a British "expatriate" who happens to be living in California, or is she just an expert on England and its culture, a "wannabe" Brit? ~~~ I'm guessing the former ("expatriate") is correct, instead of the latter, but this is only a guess... ~~~

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen

becke_davis wrote:

momgee wrote:

If you like mysteries set in England, you might like Caroline Graham. I read Killing at Badger's Drift and The Ghost in the Machine. I liked them enough to continue on with the series.

This is one of those rare cases where I like the TV show based on her books better than the books themselves.  The British series Midsomer Murders was based on her books, but became so popular (11 seasons and counting) that they made many, many more episodes than there were books.
 I liked the portrayal of the detectives better than in the books.  She also seemed to have a dislike for redheads, and I'm partial to them -- once upon a time, I was one, as is my son and as are my brother and sister. 

If there isn't already a whole other thread on these boards concerned with the subject of the differences between the original texts of Mystery Stories and their adaptions to the video format, (whether with good, bad or indifferent results), then there should be...

With the Mystery genre in particular ( although this seems to be true to a large extent with other literary genres, when they are being adapted into movies or TV shows ) there is a tendency to eliminate characters that were present in the original stories, and to otherwise streamline the story for presentation, also to the point of finagling with the plot lines...

One of the first times this really dawned on me was when, after many years of watching

the PBS/BBC "Mystery!" adaptions ( of stories from A. Conan Doyle,

Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers,

Margery Allingham, Ngaio Marsh,  and Colin Dexter,

I started reading several of the books from the "Inspector Morse" series ( by Mr Dexter ) --

Before this, the only authors who works were being adapted for the program with whom I was very familiar with were Mr Doyle & Agatha Christie ---

I felt like the "Mystery!" adaptions of these particular authors were exceedingly excellent -

almost everything that one could hope for in a faithful and meticulously accurate adaption of these time-honored classics...

As far as I could tell, the plot lines in the TV versions were faithful to the original stories as well as capturing the feeling and essence of the original stories, as well...

Now, I am aware that Mr Dexter himself acted as a consultant for the "Mystery!" - "Inspector Morse" series, and changes were possibly made with his tacit approval, but, at one point I had read "The Way Through The Woods" - and when I then saw the TV version, I was horrified at the way in which the story had been truncated ( to be sqeezed into the hour and a half or so ) and the ending had been completely altered, and with an unnecessarily shocking and melodramatic, violent conclusion ....

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I was appalled when they adapted Agatha Christie's Cards on the Table for TV and changed who the murderer was!!  Excuse my language, but what bloody cheek!
Frequent Contributor
VTfan

becke_davis wrote:

It's funny that no one has mentioned Leslie Meier's books before.  I've been reading her books for years, and I really like them.  Candy Cane Murder  Bake Sale Murder 

Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery)  Turkey Day Murder  Valentine Murder

New Year's Eve Murder  Star Spangled Murder   Wedding Day Murder  

Trick or Treat Murder  Birthday Party Murder  Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery) 

Father's Day Murder  Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery)  

St. Patrick's Day Murder     Mail-Order Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery)  

If you like those, you might also like Jill Churchill's books.

Thank you for the suggestion! 

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen

Hello, momgee & dulcinea ~~~

Just a note of thanks, for your previous suggestions of authors to look into...

I will certainly look into these authors' works, although I have by no means exhausted the supply of stories by the authors on my list, yet...

( with the possible exceptions of Mr Doyle & Mr Chesterson )...

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

Hello, momgee & dulcinea ~~~

Just a note of thanks, for your previous suggestions of authors to look into...

I will certainly look into these authors' works, although I have by no means exhausted the supply of stories by the authors on my list, yet...

( with the possible exceptions of Mr Doyle & Mr Chesterson )...

You're welcome!  If you do eventually try any of them out, I hope that you will come back here and tell us how you like them!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Sable677

Lillian Jackson Braun

Cleo Coyle

Lisa Gardner

Sue Grafton

Janet Evanovich

James Patterson

Frequent Contributor
dasz

Did anyone mention Joan Hess (the Claire Malloy series) and Ann Granger's Inspector Markby & Meredith Mitchell series?  I really enjoyed the early Claire Malloy series which began in 1986.  She's a widow with a teenage daughter, living in a college town, running a book store. 

Usually I don't care for mysteries featuring police detectives as the main character but Ann Granger's M & M series seems to be atypical (e.g., he's not knocking on doors all through the books and being treated rudely).  I think having his significant other, Meredith (who works for the Foreign Office) involved in the mystery allows the story to become more of the "cozy" type than a police procedural type (if that makes any sense!). 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read most of the Joan Hess books but not the others.  I recommend Joan Hess -- I'll check out the others.
Scribe
ReadingPatti

My favortie mystery authors are :

Jonathan Kellerman

Faye Kellerman

Heather Graham

Patricia Cornwell

Sue Grafton

Kathy Reiches

Ercia Spindler

Kay Hooper

Tami Hoag

Nancy Martin

Catherine Coulter's FBI's

J. D. Robb in Death series

I am sure that I might have missed some but theses are the authors that I keep up with.

ReadingPatti

Correspondent
momgee

I just finished Murder at Madingley Grange, one of Caroline Graham's older books. (pub date 1991) What a riot af a mystery this one is. Love all her books. Also just read Oolong Dead by Laura Childs, a nice teashop cozy set in SC. A lot of fun!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I haven't read those tea shop mysteries -- what do you think of those?  I only just noticed them when I was looking for tea-related books for a discussion we were having at the Garden book club board.
Contributor
PhilsFolly

My favorite British mysteries are by Charles Todd (a mother and son writing team).  They are set in post-WWI England and the Scotland Yard detective is a shell-shocked veteran of the Western Front.  The books are a great example of historical mysteries. 

Contributor
PhilsFolly

If you like Micahel Didben, have you tried writers Donna Leon and Magdalen Nabb?  Leon's detective is in Venice and Nabb's is in Florence.
New User
KarenF615

I just discovered Donna Andrews and have started reading her Meg Langsley series of books. 

I didn't realize they were in any specific order until I read two of them and realized that some of the events mentioned in one book happened in another.  So when I ordered my last 4 books, I made sure to order them from the beginning and that is how I am reading them.

I like her writing, it is descriptive without getting too technical.  They are mysteries with a side of humor, which will have you laughing out loud as you read.

The way I found out about her was a woman in a restaurant was reading "Owls Well That Ends Well", and laughing her heart out as she read.  I had to ask what it was, and that was when I decided to read Donna Andrews.

I also have a complete hardcover library of John Grisham, and wait with baited breath for his next release.  I don't really consider him a mystery writer tho.

KMF

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PhilsFolly wrote:
If you like Micahel Didben, have you tried writers Donna Leon and Magdalen Nabb?  Leon's detective is in Venice and Nabb's is in Florence.
These are different, but you might enjoy them.  There are a lot more, too:

A Rare Benedictine   One Corpse Too Many   Morbid Taste for Bones   The Summer of the Danes   Brother Cadfael's Penance   Cadfael Companion   The First Cadfael Omnibus   Confession of Brother Haluin   Dead Man's Ransom   Devil's Novice   An Excellent Mystery