Contributor
goodcupatea
0 Kudos

Who are some of your favorite mystery authors?

I haven't read books by all these authors yet but the research I have done on looking through some of their books and their style of writing makes me have to put them at the top of my list for now.

Michael Cox

Caleb Carr

Maureen Jennings

Michael Dibden

David Holland

Bruce Alexander

Emma Donoghue

Carole Nelson Douglas

This is just the beginning of the list, I'm seem to be adding a few more every week.  I enjoy all types of mysteries from the light and funny and clever to the dark horror.  Would love to hear some of your favorites!

C.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Who are some of your favorite mystery authors?

Agatha Christie

Ngaio Marsh

Dorothy L. Sayers

Elizabeth Peters

Martha Grimes

Carolyn Hart

Lillian Jackson Braun

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
dasz
0 Kudos

John Lescroart – Dismas Hardy series

Anthea Fraser – Rona Parish series

M. C. Beaton – Hamish MacBeth and Agatha Raisin series

Gail Bowen – Joanne Kilbourn mysteries (Regina, Saskatchewan

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Dorothy Sayers

Rex Stout

Josephine Tey

Ngaio Marsh

Ross MacDonald

Dick Francis

Dashill Hammet (sp)

Arthur Upfield

Robert Van Gulik

Robert Parker

0 Kudos

Sarah Dreher

Katherine V. Forrest

Claire McNab

Kaye Davis

Janet Evanovich

Donna Andrews

Anne George

Rex Stout

Cleo Coyle / Alice Kimberley

Susan Conant

Lee Harris

Sharyn McCrumb

...and I'm just getting started.......

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Oh, there are so many but to name some...

Agatha Christie

Anne Perry

Mary Higgins Clark

Elizabeth George

James Patterson

Alex Kava

Janet Evanovich

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Some of my favorites:

Elizabeth Peters

Anne Perry

Elizabeth George

Bernard Cornwell

David Baldacci

Lee Child

Clive Cussler

MG

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I'm a serial reader. Here is a small listing of my all-time favorite authors/series who have kept me up at night:

In alphabetical order. Not in preferential order:

Block, Lawrence (Matthew Scudder series)

Chandler, Raymond (Philip Marlowe series)

Child, Lee (JackReacher series)

Connelly, Michael (Harry Bosch series)

Christie, Agatha (Miss Marple series)

Cornwell, Patricia (Kay Scarpetta series)

George, Elizabeth (Inspector Thomas Lynley series)

Grafton, Sue (Kinsey Milhone series)

Grimes, Martha (Inspector Richard Jury series)

Hammett, Dashiell (Sam Spade series)

James, P. D. (Inspector Adam Dalgliesh series)

MacDonald, Ross( Lew Archer series)

McDermit, Val (TonyHill series)

Pronzini, Bill (Nameless Detective series)

Rankin, Ian  (Det.Inspector John Rebus)

Rendell, Ruth (Inspector Wexford series)

Robinson, Peter( Inspector Alan Banks series)

Sayers, Dorothy L. (Lord Peter Wimsey series)

Tey, Josephine (Inspector Alan Grant series)

IBIS 

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I listed 100 of my favorite mysteries on my profile.  Look at MyBNEssentials.  I would have listed more if I could have fit them;  they aren't in any particular order.
Frequent Contributor
heybaby
0 Kudos

Mine would be Alex Kava, Karen Slaughter, James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, and John Grisham

"The wonderful thing about not planning, is failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry or depression."
New User
mkgbku
0 Kudos

My favorite mystery writers are:

Jeffrey Deaver

James Patterson

Michael Connelly

James Lee Burke

Kathy Reichs

David Baldacci

Tony Hillerman

Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

I have so many but a few that I like are

Mary Higgins Clark

Anne Perry

Deborah Crombie

Carole Nelson Douglas

Elizabeth George

Patricia Cornwell

Phyllis
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Agatha Christie

Ngaio Marsh

Dorothy L. Sayers

Elizabeth Peters

Martha Grimes

Carolyn Hart

Lillian Jackson Braun

Good Evening, Dulcinea3 ~~~

My own personal list matches yours in almost every respect, except for M. Grimes & C. Hart, neither which author I have read from...

I have to add:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

C.K. Chesterson

Colin Dexter

to my list, & Ellis Peters, who is one and the same as Elizabeth Peters, anyway, right?

I also enjoyed the two books by Josephine Tey which I have read

Almost from the very beginning, my taste in Mysteries has tended to bend towards the classic, British, "Cozy"-style of the Mystery genre...

I'm afraid the more hard-hitting, hardcore style of American Fiction, such as the "Hard-Boiled Detective" genre never appealed to me quite as much - ( although, of course, I have enjoyed an occaisonal "Film Noir" or Sam Spade movie ) ...

If there is a floor-plan "map" or diagram included with the story, so much the better -

although, for me, no matter how long I might stare at such a diagram, only the more confused and befuddled I would become, as far as coming any closer to be able to solve the puzzle presented in the story before the answer would be revealed at the end...

( My first encounter with one of these maps was, I believe, in Agatha Christie's

"The Murder Of Roger Acroyd" - & I remained baffled to the end, and completely taken by suprise by that tremendous suprise ending, in spite of trying to study the map ) ~~~

But I don't think I read Mysteries with the intent of being able to solve the puzzle myself, anyway - ( although, sometimes, I do get an "inkling" of who the murderer might be, and maybe even a guess of some of the methods involved in the crime, although I am at least still a little fuzzy on the finer details of how things were worked out unttil the very ens of the story ) ---

I'd like to say a little more about this, but I'm running out of time... ~~~

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

To continue along:

I enjoy Mysteries ( possibly more than any other genre of literature ) mainly because they tend to be so devoid of "Deep Thought" and philosophical machinations about the "Meaning Of Life" and do not deal so much with the weighty issues that get brought up in works of fiction that are more concerned with "Real Life", and which tend to have some kind of heavy-duty "message" attached, which the author is trying to convey, no real "revelations" along these lines, no consternations over the nature of people and their lives, etc....

Instead, the Mystery format provides the bare-bones framework for the Mystery author upon which to "decorate' with descriptive passages, ambience, characters, etc. ---

The Mystery author is allowed to paint a picture upon the canvas of the well established Mystery format, and "What is the Mystery Of Life?" gets reduced more to the simple

"What is the answer to the Mystery puzzle at hand?" - So, the Mystery novel or shot-story is enjoyed for its own sake, as a little "Work of Art", devoid of hidden meanings or themes of weightiness - reading for the pure pleasure of reading itself ...

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
becke_davis
0 Kudos

You are definitely in the right place.  We've talked about Roger Ackroyd before on this board.  If you're interested in reading the old posts, all you have to do is type "Roger Ackroyd" in the search box at the bottom of the page.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Hi, oldBPLstackdenizen,

Interesting that our lists match so closely!  Of course, as you can see, my taste runs mainly to cozies as well, although, like you, I have sometimes enjoyed other types of mysteries.  Dashiell Hammett comes to mind for me.

If you like British cozies, I would recommend Martha Grimes.  She is American, but her mysteries are set in Britain, with a Scotland Yard inspector, Richard Jury.  Then another of the main characters, Melrose Plant, is a nobleman who has rejected his titles, and lives in a 'typical' village, with a whole set of eccentric characters.  I would also consider the Hart mysteries as cozies, but they are set in America; the Death on Demand series is on an island off the Carolinas and the main character owns a mystery book store.  The series is full of references to other mysteries and authors, many of whom I am not familiar with, but I am impressed at Hart's knowledge of the genre.

Your reference to Ellis Peters and Elizabeth Peters intrigued me, because I had never heard that before.  I looked up Ellis Peters, and 'he' was a woman named Edith Pargeter, but cannot be the same as Elizabeth Peters, because 'he' died in 1995, and Elizabeth Peters is still writing books.  Edith Pargeter also used the names John Redfern, Jolyon Carr, and Peter Benedict.  Elizabeth Peters' real name is Barbara Mertz, and she also uses the name Barbara Michaels.

I also love mysteries with 'extras', like maps and lists of characters.  They do add a bit of extra fun that you can refer to as you are reading.  The first Carolyn Hart mystery I read was The Christie Caper, which had a Christie trivia quiz as part of the mystery, which was set at a Christie convention.  Simon Brett's The Christmas Crimes at Puzzel Manor has various types of puzzles as clues.

I agree that mysteries do not prompt a lot of musing on the meaning of life.  They are entertaining, but I think they also provide a further benefit in that they make you think and reason as you wonder what the solution will be.  They are my favorite genre.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Correspondent
momgee

If you like mysteries set in England, you might like Caroline Graham. I read Killing at Badger's Drift and The Ghost in the Machine. I liked them enough to continue on with the series.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
New User
barefoot21

Stuart Woods

James Patterson

Michael Connelly

David Baldacci

Kathy Reichs

Jeffrey Deaver

Clive Cussler

Janet Evanovich

Lisa Scottoline

C.J. Box

Lee Child

Harlen Coben

Lisa Jackson

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A great list!  Have you read Greg Iles or Joy Fielding?  You might like them, too.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

If you like mysteries set in England, you might like Caroline Graham. I read Killing at Badger's Drift and The Ghost in the Machine. I liked them enough to continue on with the series.

This is one of those rare cases where I like the TV show based on her books better than the books themselves.  The British series Midsomer Murders was based on her books, but became so popular (11 seasons and counting) that they made many, many more episodes than there were books.
 I liked the portrayal of the detectives better than in the books.  She also seemed to have a dislike for redheads, and I'm partial to them -- once upon a time, I was one, as is my son and as are my brother and sister.