Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Why no reading club on this thread?

JoanieGranola wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

You all might want to go through the "What are you reading now" thread and see if there are any books you've already read that others are reading, too. You won't feel pressured to read something if you've already read it!

Good advice. In the two weeks I've finished eight books and I didn't realize that The Snowman was part of a series. Unfortunately The Redbreast isn't in eformat, so I'll have to check my library.

If you all want to start with another book in this series, I'm fine with that, too.

The Snowman 

The Devil's Star 

Nemesis 

The Redbreast     

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Slow reader ? No, Nancy I am a slow reader !

I have both The Redbreast -- which I have already started reading -- and The Devil's Star -- which YOU have started reading, but then there is life, with a job that HAS to come first !

I wonder how you guys manage ! LOL...

Well, it's true that my native language is Portuguese, and I read in 3 languages : these two, plus French. AND I am studying German  so that one day I can read in this language too ! BUT you guys are impossible...

A day only has 24 hours. I often say : Do you happen to know anyone who can sell me a 36-hour day ?

BUT GOOD that you have decided to participate in this discussion, Nancy !

Pumper

Editing > Becke, I often wonder how YOU manage to read everything you do !

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

Slow reader ? No, Nancy I am a slow reader !

I have both The Redbreast -- which I have already started reading -- and The Devil's Star -- which YOU have started reading, but then there is life, with a job that HAS to come first !

I wonder how you guys manage ! LOL...

Well, it's true that my native language is Portuguese, and I read in 3 languages : these two, plus French. AND I am studying German  so that one day I can read in this language too ! BUT you guys are impossible...

A day only has 24 hours. I often say : Do you happen to know anyone who can sell me a 36-hour day ?

BUT GOOD that you have decided to participate in this discussion, Nancy !

Pumper

Editing > Becke, I often wonder how YOU manage to read everything you do !

The hard part is that I'm a writer, too. My day job is as a garden writer so I'm always working around deadlines, AND I'm trying to finish my latest fiction work-in-progress. (This one is a romantic paranormal - I have others that still need work.) There are definitely not enough hours in the day!

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The hard part is that I'm a writer, too. My day job is as a garden writer so I'm always working around deadlines,

Honestly, I don't know how you can manage. I have already eliminated TV, but I still have lots to do. Of course, I have to read a lot of articles on Foreign Affairs, just to keep up with my students, and then prepare classes, correct their homework, TEACH, etc., etc...

I can only read my dear books in my free time !

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

The hard part is that I'm a writer, too. My day job is as a garden writer so I'm always working around deadlines,

Honestly, I don't know how you can manage. I have already eliminated TV, but I still have lots to do. Of course, I have to read a lot of articles on Foreign Affairs, just to keep up with my students, and then prepare classes, correct their homework, TEACH, etc., etc...

I can only read my dear books in my free time !

I guess what it boils down to is that those of us who love to read make time for it, even when there is no time!

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I guess what it boils down to is that those of us who love to read make time for it, even when there is no time!

Yes, sure, but it DOES become more and more difficult. Don't you have this strange feeling that time goes faster and faster ?

I'll give you an example: I'm reading Virginia Woolf's diary ( I'm reading her last volume of diaries ) and if you take into consideration all she did ( going to painting exhibitions or over to someone's house, etc . ) , all the books and articles she wrote, AND the diary, you come to the conclusion that time was different in the beginning of the 20th century !  Of course, according to science it is the same time, but I believe that something has happened, and it's not only technology, because even when I do not turn on my PC, time moves somehow faster...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I guess what it boils down to is that those of us who love to read make time for it, even when there is no time!

Yes, sure, but it DOES become more and more difficult. Don't you have this strange feeling that time goes faster and faster ?

I'll give you an example: I'm reading Virginia Woolf's diary ( I'm reading her last volume of diaries ) and if you take into consideration all she did ( going to painting exhibitions or over to someone's house, etc . ) , all the books and articles she wrote, AND the diary, you come to the conclusion that time was different in the beginning of the 20th century !  Of course, according to science it is the same time, but I believe that something has happened, and it's not only technology, because even when I do not turn on my PC, time moves somehow faster...

I ALWAYS  have that feeling!

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

Nancy, how do you like The Devil's Star ? I'm reading about page 140 of The Redbreast and it still hasn't been THAT interesting... Maybe is it me ?

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nancy ( or Harleyhoney ) pluhleeease tell me that The Devil's Star is BETTER than The Redbreast.

I'm still reading The Redbreast and I'm reading page 300 and something, but I STILL do not see the point. I think Nesbo just speaks too much, but says nothing of real importance... Is it me ? :smileysurprised:  I'm gonna read till the end just to see !

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

Nancy ( or Harleyhoney ) pluhleeease tell me that The Devil's Star is BETTER than The Redbreast.

I'm still reading The Redbreast and I'm reading page 300 and something, but I STILL do not see the point. I think Nesbo just speaks too much, but says nothing of real importance... Is it me ? :smileysurprised:  I'm gonna read till the end just to see !

Should we pick another book to talk about? 

I'm reading a REALLY good book right now - LONG GONE by Alafair Burke. I'm almost finished with it and I was going to read THE REDBREAST next. 

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

Becke, let me finish this book, which I think will happen this week. Now I REALLY want to see the author's point !

I don't think that The Redbreast is good enough for a discussion ! I checked the book by Alafair Burke. It's good to know it's a good book, but I'd have to import it and wait for 6 weeks , for Cultura Bookstore does not have it ! :smileymad: I HATE this; I mean, when Cultura does not have a good book !

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

Becke, let me finish this book, which I think will happen this week. Now I REALLY want to see the author's point !

I don't think that The Redbreast is good enough for a discussion ! I checked the book by Alafair Burke. It's good to know it's a good book, but I'd have to import it and wait for 6 weeks , for Cultura Bookstore does not have it ! :smileymad: I HATE this; I mean, when Cultura does not have a good book !

I do recommend Alafair's book - too bad you have such a long wait! This is another book in my TBR pile - my son liked it so much he wanted me to read it, and - shocker - my husband, who doesn't like fiction, is nearly finished with it! I haven't read it yet, but I'll get it when my husband is done.

The Angel's Game  

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

Here in Brazil we have a saying that translates as : "A saint at home does not perform miracles!"

:smileyhappy: This is funny... You being a moderator for mysteries and your own husband doesn't like fiction...

The same with my Acupuncturist ; her husband doesn't believe in Homeopathy and she treats herself with it... BTW, the homeopathy doctors were given the right to practice Homeopathy cause authority's main argument was to say that 'patients were suggested' they'd improve, so they asked "Yes ? Then why does it work with babies and pets?" (^_^) Heh ! I LOVE this...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

Here in Brazil we have a saying that translates as : "A saint at home does not perform miracles!"

:smileyhappy: This is funny... You being a moderator for mysteries and your own husband doesn't like fiction...

The same with my Acupuncturist ; her husband doesn't believe in Homeopathy and she treats herself with it... BTW, the homeopathy doctors were given the right to practice Homeopathy cause authority's main argument was to say that 'patients were suggested' they'd improve, so they asked "Yes ? Then why does it work with babies and pets?" (^_^) Heh ! I LOVE this...

My husband is a huge reader, but he prefers non-fiction: history, philosophy, theology. His bookcases are full of deep thoughts, mine have mysteries, paranormals and romances. Works for me!

He likes mysteries but doesn't have the patience to read them. He's the one who reminded me there was a Poirot episode on last night when I totally forgot. I missed it, but luckily he taped it so I can see it when I get back from Chicago.

Every once in awhile he'll read a mystery - there was so much talk about The DaVinci Code he finally read that one, and he even liked it. But it's rare for him to start a fiction book, much less finish one!

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

My husband is a huge reader, but he prefers non-fiction: history, philosophy, theology. His bookcases are full of deep thoughts, mine have mysteries, paranormals and romances. Works for me! (...) He likes mysteries but doesn't have the patience to read them. (...) Every once in awhile he'll read a mystery (...) But it's rare for him to start a fiction book, much less finish one!

I can understand him, believe me. I read mysteries cause on a day to day basis I have to read a LOT about Foreign Affairs, just to cope with my students !

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

My husband is a huge reader, but he prefers non-fiction: history, philosophy, theology. His bookcases are full of deep thoughts, mine have mysteries, paranormals and romances. Works for me! (...) He likes mysteries but doesn't have the patience to read them. (...) Every once in awhile he'll read a mystery (...) But it's rare for him to start a fiction book, much less finish one!

I can understand him, believe me. I read mysteries cause on a day to day basis I have to read a LOT about Foreign Affairs, just to cope with my students !

Like my son with his shelves of books on economics.

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Hi Pumpernickel20,

The Devil’s Star is definitely not an easy read.  I think you’re correct that Nesbo’s books won’t work very well for a book discussion.  But I still want to read the rest of them.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

Oh, Nancy, GOOD that you have the same opinion as mine ! (o.0) I was beginning to think it was MY problem !!! Yep, me too : I wanna read the book through to its end. But then I'll tell you my opinion  about The Redbreast .

See, Becke ? NOT a good book for a discussion ! We should pick another one.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Are there any classic mysteries, or mystery authors, you'd like to discuss? We can always pick an older book if availability is an issue. I'm open for anything.

The only thing is, I'm up here in Chicago for another week. I did bring a stack of mysteries with me but a lot of them are at home. I might not have the book you pick with me but luckily I read fast.

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

:smileyhappy:   Have I ever told you that you are a peach, Becke ? Well, you are.

Hum... I was thinking... Do the books that you have with you make a very long list ? Because if you post it, I can see if I have them OR if i can order them QUICKLY from Cultura Bookstore ! What do you say ? (o_0) !