Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
Dante2000
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-05-2012
0 Kudos

has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?

And Indian pal was telling me about it. It won a lot of awards in Asia. I'm wondering if Americans will dig it. I love the title

 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?

The Thing about Thugs  

 

Looks very interesting - I think I'll read it!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?

The Thing about Thugs  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here's the B&N order link for it. I like the cover!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?

Eadie - you beat me to it!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?


becke_davis wrote:

Eadie - you beat me to it!


Sorry - I know that's your job but I didn't know when you were coming on since you're so busy with your move and remodeling! But I knew you wouldn't mind. Besides, I wanted to check it out anyway! LOL!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?


eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Eadie - you beat me to it!


Sorry - I know that's your job but I didn't know when you were coming on since you're so busy with your move and remodeling! But I knew you wouldn't mind. Besides, I wanted to check it out anyway! LOL!


Eadie - I hope you didn't take that as a complaint! I love it when you all step in. This is YOUR board, I just moderate it. I appreciate your help, especially while my house is in such an uproar. The book does look interesting, doesn't it? Apparently it's been out awhile - I found lots of reviews online.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Eadie - you beat me to it!


Sorry - I know that's your job but I didn't know when you were coming on since you're so busy with your move and remodeling! But I knew you wouldn't mind. Besides, I wanted to check it out anyway! LOL!


Eadie - I hope you didn't take that as a complaint! I love it when you all step in. This is YOUR board, I just moderate it. I appreciate your help, especially while my house is in such an uproar. The book does look interesting, doesn't it? Apparently it's been out awhile - I found lots of reviews online.

 

_________________________________________________

 

I didn't think you were complaining. I know you like us to step in and help. I was just explaining why I felt I should post the link knowing how busy you are. When will you be ready to list your house?

 

 

 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?


eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Eadie - you beat me to it!


Sorry - I know that's your job but I didn't know when you were coming on since you're so busy with your move and remodeling! But I knew you wouldn't mind. Besides, I wanted to check it out anyway! LOL!


Eadie - I hope you didn't take that as a complaint! I love it when you all step in. This is YOUR board, I just moderate it. I appreciate your help, especially while my house is in such an uproar. The book does look interesting, doesn't it? Apparently it's been out awhile - I found lots of reviews online.

 

_________________________________________________

 

I didn't think you were complaining. I know you like us to step in and help. I was just explaining why I felt I should post the link knowing how busy you are. When will you be ready to list your house?

 

 

 


My son is afraid that if we don't get it on the market by July 10, we'll lose all hope of selling it this year. We're so close to being ready - only two rooms left to be painted! One is going to be recarpeted also. They're going to install a vinyl floor in the laundry room instead of the carpet we have now, and next week the tile backsplash will be installed in the kitchen. We've been getting the curtains dry cleaned one window at a time, and next week the carpets and blinds will be steam cleaned. We still have a lot to pack, and we have to move a lot of boxes from the family room - Grand Central Station at our house - to the garage. And there are still some bins of old papers in the garage that I need to sort out. 

 

When I look at it like that, it seems like an awful lot. It's all too easy to forget all the things we've done so far. Whether it's enough - well, we'll see. Fingers crossed! I'll post some pictures once the kitchen is finished. Everything should be completed next week - I hope!!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?

Apologies for taking us off-topic - I'm all too easily distracted these days!

 

Here's more about THE THING ABOUT THUGS:

 

Overview

A subversive, macabre novel of a young Indian man’s misadventures in Victorian London as the city is racked by a series of murders

 

In a small Bihari village, Captain William T. Meadows finds just the man to further his phrenological research back home: Amir Ali, confessed member of the infamous Thugee cult. With tales of a murderous youth redeemed, Ali gains passage to England, his villainously shaped skull there to be studied.

 

Only Ali knows just how embroidered his story is, so when a killer begins depriving London’s underclass of their heads, suspicion naturally falls on the “thug.” With help from fellow immigrants led by a shrewd Punjabi woman, Ali journeys deep into a hostile city in an attempt to save himself and end the gruesome murders.

 

Ranging from skull-lined mansions to underground tunnels a ghostly people call home, The Thing about Thugs is a feat of imagination to rival Wilkie Collins or Michael Chabon. Short-listed for the 2010 Man Asian Literary Prize, this sly Victorian role reversal marks the arrival of a compelling new Indian novelist to North America.

 

Library Journal

 

"Ghastly Murders in the East End." So reads the newspaper headline reporting the series of mysterious homicides at the center of this complex, thoughtful novel, set in Victorian-era London.

 

The British Empire is at its height, and the prerogative to subjugate and rule "inferior races" is unquestioned. In keeping with imperial practices that encourage the advancement of human knowledge, Amir Ali, a reformed member of a criminal gang, has been brought to England for interview and study.

 

Khair (Filming) takes two large, mainly invisible cultural narratives—the stories we tell ourselves to make sense of the world—and blends them in powerful and enlightening ways. One narrative is the story told by English aristocrats about moral and physical superiority; the other a mostly unheard, disturbing story told by colonized subjects like Ali about exploitation and subjugation. VERDICT A fascinating and emotionally moving novel for fans of literary fiction.—Patrick Sullivan, Manchester Community Coll., CT

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: has anyone read The Thing About Thugs?


becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Eadie - you beat me to it!


Sorry - I know that's your job but I didn't know when you were coming on since you're so busy with your move and remodeling! But I knew you wouldn't mind. Besides, I wanted to check it out anyway! LOL!


Eadie - I hope you didn't take that as a complaint! I love it when you all step in. This is YOUR board, I just moderate it. I appreciate your help, especially while my house is in such an uproar. The book does look interesting, doesn't it? Apparently it's been out awhile - I found lots of reviews online.

 

_________________________________________________

 

I didn't think you were complaining. I know you like us to step in and help. I was just explaining why I felt I should post the link knowing how busy you are. When will you be ready to list your house?

 

 

 


My son is afraid that if we don't get it on the market by July 10, we'll lose all hope of selling it this year. We're so close to being ready - only two rooms left to be painted! One is going to be recarpeted also. They're going to install a vinyl floor in the laundry room instead of the carpet we have now, and next week the tile backsplash will be installed in the kitchen. We've been getting the curtains dry cleaned one window at a time, and next week the carpets and blinds will be steam cleaned. We still have a lot to pack, and we have to move a lot of boxes from the family room - Grand Central Station at our house - to the garage. And there are still some bins of old papers in the garage that I need to sort out. 

 

When I look at it like that, it seems like an awful lot. It's all too easy to forget all the things we've done so far. Whether it's enough - well, we'll see. Fingers crossed! I'll post some pictures once the kitchen is finished. Everything should be completed next week - I hope!!


You really have got a lot done in a very short time. It's got to help sell your house.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt