Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

"Original Sin" by P.D. James (The NEW Eerie Coterie)

Original Sin (Adam Dalgliesh Series #9)  

Our February "Goremet" selection of The NEW Eerie Coterie may appeal to book groups because the plot revolves around a murder in a publishing house.  We are now announcing our "Goremet" selections on the First Thurdsday of the Month so it is easier to keep track of what book we are featuring for a new month.  We will continue to leave all older "Goremet" selections up for discussion, even if it is not the featured selection.  Not everyone reads a book at the same time and if you are new to the online group then you can go back and read older titles and still comment and ask questions we can respond to.

New questions and thoughts will be added to this thread for the month of February in regards to this featured book.  If you are looking to comment to an older selection, there are threads for them seperately.  Original Sin was one of the first books by P.D. James that I ever read and remains one of my favorites.  From page one you are in for a well-written thrill ride with all the signature trademarks of a James mystery.

Check back soon for topics and questions to discuss.

If you love thrillers and horror, you have found your home.
B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

Re: "Original Sin" by P.D. James (The NEW Eerie Coterie)

Since the discussion questions won't really come until the last week of the month I wanted to take this opportunity to ask some questions about Dalgliesh.  The Private Patient being our first "Goremet" selection, how does Dalgliesh differ from that book from Original Sin?  Thirteen years apart in publication, how has the author kept these mysteries fresh and exciting?  Is Adam the same in every book or is he slowly growing in depth with each entry??  Original Sin was also the first Dalgliesh novel after The Children of Men.  Do you feel P.D. James' books are just Detective stories or do you look at her books as literary novels with a larger canvas and scope??  Let us know what your thoughts are on our featured author P.D. James. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi! - Hope your book club is going well. Even if people don't post comments, a lot of people are reading your posts. Good luck with it!

B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

This whole experience is ever positive.  This initiative is more than just a simple bookclub.  I started The Eerie Coterie over 5 years ago and it was dedicated to Horror and Thrillers since our stores have no Horror sections any longer, but our customers wanted Horror.  We had a display of all new books and fan favorites and I developed the website to let people comment on what they were reading and watching.  After successfully reaching many people and continuing to display all the new titles in Horror I wanted to go in a new direction.  The Eerie Coterie was also used to show how Horror books are as much a part of our culture and many of the authors popular in the genre are of a higher literary standard than they are given credit for.  2010 brought a new year and a new idea.  "ONE AUTHOR, ONE YEAR" - dedicate the site to just one author who was obviously a genre writer, but has also achieved something many genre writers never do - literary accolades.  I shifted the spyglass from Horror to Mystery (not too far apart really!) P.D. James is one of only a small handful of authors who have gained renown for their work while also writing within a genre not normally considered to be "Literary".  My point was to get people involved in a discussion group that took that foundation of entertainment with the deeper themes of literature.

Original Sin remains one of the best in the series because of its look at, well "sin".  We all commit them and we all feel traumatized or are trapped within the guilt of our "sin" and James takes that and lends it to the detective novel.  And of course it takes place at a publishing house.  In the early part of the book an interesting lesson in English society was given.  Gentleman's Clubs - The Cadaver Club from the book - are still a part of British society.  This particular club's members must be interested in murder.  Enter Adam Dalgliesh!! 

I hope everyone is enjoying the book and look for specific discussion questions in about a week.  Also the word TURIN is the clue to the identity of the March "Goremet" selection.  Good Luck and Great Reading!

B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

This is a poem read by Gabriel Dauntsey in the book Original Sin.  How does this poem make you feel??  What is James (and Gabriel) trying to say with this poem, especially in relation to Sonia's death??  Intriguing!!

Shadwell Stair

by Wilfred Owen

I am the ghost of Shadwell Stair.

Along the wharves by the water-house,

And through the cavernous slaughter-house,

I am the shadow that walks there.

Yet I have flesh both firm and cool,

And eyes tumultuous as the gems

Of moons and lamps in the full Thames

When dusk sails wavering down the pool.

Shuddering the purple street-arc burns

Where I watch always; from the banks

Dolorously the shipping clanks

And after me a strange tide turns.

I walk till the stars of London wane

And dawn creeps up the Shadwell Stair.

But when the crowing syrens blare

I with another ghost am lain.

B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

A run of questions will be coming next week as the Original Sin discussions begin.  But for the moment I wanted to ask: How important are the sins of the past.  A recurring theme in a James novel is how much the past affects the present, and even the future. In Original Sin this is even more so.  How do you like Daniel Aron??  Does his character represent more than just a new face in an old series??  As lover's of books, does this novel's inside view of publishing shock or surprise you??  Just a few tidbits here to tempt you as you read this wonderful thriller.

B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

What is the significance of the title?  What were your thoughts as you first began the book and then after you were well into the book??  Title means so much and is the heart of the book, and in a series they can be as integral to the mystery as the plot, setting and characters.  What does the term "original sin" mean to you??  Is it just a biblical reference or does it go even deeper?  Have fun thinking about this topic and let us know your thoughts.

B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

Since the March selection will be announced I wanted to say a few things about our February book Original Sin.  This was the first P.D. James book I read, back in 1999 and I have been partial to this author ever since.  It is really hard to classify an author who hits lots of marks in terms of what kinds of books they write.  This is also a book where I truly sympathized with the murderer.  Overwhelmed by grief and unable to cope any longer the murderer did what was necessary to equal the score.  I do welcome any comments from past or future readers of this or any James novel.  I notice lots of views of these posts which is wonderful - it is great people are looking at the topics, but no one really responding.  I would appreciate any ideas to improve this and to get more particiaption in the program.  I enjoy different points of view - good and bad - and love to talk books.  These Threads will not get turned off so you can comment about a previous "Goremet" book anytime.  I welcome anyone's thoughts. 

B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

I am hoping anyone out there who has read this book - Original Sin could respond to this question?  Would you recommend this title or author to a friend or book group??  Would you consider reading other books by this author??  Let The Eerie Coterie know either way. 

Our goal with this endeavor was to see how much people respond to recommendations and if bookclubs enjoy reading literary novels that may also be considerer "genre" books.  More often than not book groups choose Fiction books that are not classified as mysteries, horror or romace, but that are full of these elements.  How many out there have read a Jodi Picoult book??  She is just Fiction, but has many elements of suspense or mystery to her plot lines.  It is an interesting topic and I hope to hear from you.  Your feedback is most valuable!!

Donald Kendall

The Eerie Coterie

becke_davis
0 Kudos