Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: "The Private Patient" by P.D. James (The NEW Eerie Coterie)

I haven't read it yet, but I'm definitely going to add it to my library.

Talking about Detective Fiction

B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

An interesting question came up that is relevant to all of P.D. James' novels of detection:  How does the murderers make you feel about them and their motives.  In The Private Patient did you sympathize with the murdered when you learned her secret.  Did it make you feel sorrier for Rhoda in this book as the truth came to light.  I must admit I didn't like Rhoda but her pursuit of truth in this instance was the casue of her death.  Just wanted to pose that question to the readers of the book.

If you love thrillers and horror, you have found your home.
B&N Bookseller
TheEerieCoterie
0 Kudos

I am hoping anyone out there who has read this book - The Private Patient could respond to this question?  Would you recommend this title or author to a friend or book group??  Would you consider reading other books by this author??  Let The Eerie Coterie know either way. 

Our goal with this endeavor was to see how much people respond to recommendations and if bookclubs enjoy reading literary novels that may also be considerer "genre" books.  More often than not book groups choose Fiction books that are not classified as mysteries, horror or romace, but that are full of these elements.  How many out there have read a Jodi Picoult book??  She is just Fiction, but has many elements of suspense or mystery to her plot lines.  It is an interesting topic and I hope to hear from you.  Your feedback is most valuable!!

Donald Kendall

The Eerie Coterie

If you love thrillers and horror, you have found your home.
becke_davis
0 Kudos