Frequent Contributor
yahma
0 Kudos

2 questions

1. I have a book that the NOOK can't open. Everytime I try, a notice comes up on the bottom, and tells me to force the book closed. I've tried multiple times to open it, both connected to the WiFi and not (just in case that helped, but it didn't). Any suggestions?

2. Other than archiving a book, is there a way to mark it as read?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: 2 questions

yahma wrote:

1. I have a book that the NOOK can't open. Everytime I try, a notice comes up on the bottom, and tells me to force the book closed. I've tried multiple times to open it, both connected to the WiFi and not (just in case that helped, but it didn't). Any suggestions?

2. Other than archiving a book, is there a way to mark it as read?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Try achiving the book and than unarchiving it again, that way the Nook will download a new copy of the book.

If that does not work sideload the book to the My Documents folder, and try to open it in My Documents.

2. As far as I know, no.

Frequent Contributor
onemorrismom
0 Kudos

2.  At least with the B&N I 'rate' them so that I know I read them

Inspired Contributor
Sigma2398
0 Kudos

2. The new version of Nook software might have an option for you: B&N claims it will have 'customized B&N Library organization', which might allow folders or tags.

Frequent Contributor
yahma
0 Kudos

Re: 2 more questions

1. Book still won't open and it freezes the NOOK each time I try, so I'll just delete that one. It was either free or very cheap , anyway.

2. Version 1.5 offers shelves, so I've made a shelf for "already read" books and this works better for me than archiving the books. Thanks to all who had v1.5 input on this!

New questions:

3. Is there ANYTHING that can clean the back cover of the NOOK? So far I've tried pencil eraser, Mr. Clean eraser, clorox clean-up, straight bleach, soft scrub, window cleaner, dish soap, (with the back cover removed, of course!)...and NOTHING seems to work.

4. Page turner...the "finger glide method" along the touch screen only seems to work sporadically (yes, I am waiting for the screen to turn black), and the button sometimes turns multiple pages at a time (yes, I am only clicking it once). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

yahma wrote:

3. Is there ANYTHING that can clean the back cover of the NOOK? So far I've tried pencil eraser, Mr. Clean eraser, clorox clean-up, straight bleach, soft scrub, window cleaner, dish soap, (with the back cover removed, of course!)...and NOTHING seems to work.

3.  I haven't found anything.  Mine is "scuffed" from the Madison cover.  (It's not scuffed, but I can't think of a better word.  The tan suede-like lining has left marks on the white back of my NOOK Wifi.  I've read that some have complained and gotten a new back for theirs because of cover "rub off" like this, but as long as it works, I'm not bothered enough to complain.)  I'd be interested in hearing someone else's solutions.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

New questions:

4. Page turner...the "finger glide method" along the touch screen only seems to work sporadically (yes, I am waiting for the screen to turn black), and the button sometimes turns multiple pages at a time (yes, I am only clicking it once). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

No idea about the back, but you can buy a new one, colored if you want.  I keep mine in it's cover all the time.

The swipe method takes practice, it works about 99% of the time for me, but then, it works about 99% of the time on my Droid Phone and my iPod Touch also, so I just figure it's me not swiping correctly ever once in a while.  But, I have noticed, the page back swipe seems to be more intermittent now with 1.5.  Just make sure to keep it a light flick, not a heavy push.