Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

A Game of Thrones (G.R.R.M)

I head read many posts/blogs/columns about people thinking that GRRM is one of the greastest fiction authors of all time. According to my nook im about 1/5 of the way through his first book, and pretty bored. Please tell me it gets better.

Inspired Contributor
ajrosen
0 Kudos

Re: A Game of Thrones (G.R.R.M)

That depends on what you're looking for. Action: not the prime focus. Intrigue: it's there in abundance. Character development: you'll find yourself liking (or at least tolerating) the person you hated about 5 minutes ago, once you read the story from their perspective.

I like how it's not such clear-cut good vs. evil. It's people fighting for themselves and their families and their own interests, sort of like real life. My biggest problem is the complexity involved. With so many characters and so many houses I get confused farther into the series with who is who and what their motivations are (outside the main characters). That being said, it is one of my favorite series and I can't wait for the next book to come out, even if I do need to re-read all the previous books to refresh my memory.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

Yea, i guess maybe I am just unused to more than one main protagonist, or at least a well defined one. And it seems like you find out a lot of tertiary kind of info.

Frequent Contributor
WickedElf
0 Kudos

From what I recall of the first book, I had a hard time getting into it at first because there is a LOT of setup going on.  Setting up the history, the world, the rules, the court politics, the 50 billion characters, etc... but by the end of the first book I was hooked. 

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

yea, i read another ~250 "pages" (the nook says this book is almost 800 lol), and it is getting a lot more interesting...his writing style is still a bit strange to me...like every chapter is from a different characters "view point" but at the same time the story just keeps normally progressing, so the protagonist is almost constantly changing. It is getting better though, and for $4.15 cents i wont complain. I paid almost twice that for a book by my favorite author and i am somewhat bored by it, it doesn't have his usual quick tempo in the writing.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

ahh lol, coolio!

Correspondent
EricTrickster
0 Kudos

Get used to the focus of each chapter being on a different character, and all of that "tertiary" info is absolutely necessary to the depth of the overall story.

And I think that's the appeal - he weaves this entire world for you, and while it seems a bit overwhelming at first it tapers off so that you can enjoy the interaction of the characters themselves.  It's a great series, and I will agree that it's one of - if not the best - medieval/fantasy style epic stories I've read in ages.  You'll quickly find yourself caught up with the court intrigues, the back-stabbing and double dealing...and you'll hate him for leaving you hanging at the end of each book, wondering what's happened to specific characters. 

My biggest concern is that he'll never actually finish the final three books, and we'll be left to wonder how it all ends.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one. ~Chinese Saying
Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

haha yea, im more than halfway through and the intrigue is pretty amazing. My only gripe is that this to me does not feel like real fantasy, at least not like sword/sorcery fantasy. They talk about mythic dragons, and wizards but there has only been really passing mention of either of those. Does the story get more "fantasy" later on?

I think he will finish, the books are being put into an hbo series. So it will probably inspire him to write the last 3 sooner.

Correspondent
EricTrickster
0 Kudos

Dyrinn45 wrote:

Does the story get more "fantasy" later on?

It never goes full Tolkeinesque fantasy - it's more in line with Arthurian fantasy, with less high magic at play - but there's enough that you should be satisfied. I won't ruin it for you, but keep watch on Daenerys, Jon/Sam, Bran and Davos' (re Stannis) stories specifically.

My concern comes from comments GRRM has made himself. A Dance with Dragons should have come out in 2006, and here we're still waiting for it; he admitted it's grown larger than he anticipated, but had hoped to be done by the Fall of 2008. Here it is 2010, and still not a peep from him. His last comments on the subject (he hasn't updated his own website since last summer) is that he refuses to be rushed. 5 years and still waiting for the 5th book, doesn't give me a lot of hope for books 6 and 7 - not with him working on several other projects, including the HBO series [assuming each season of the series is a book...that's 4 seasons/years of material already in the bag] :smileysad:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one. ~Chinese Saying
Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

yea, it is getting really good...sucks watching so many cool characters disappear from the story though:smileytongue:

New User
Tinkie78
0 Kudos

I love it!  I love the writing style it gives you so much more information and thought to each.  I agree though I was sad to see some of my favorites go out so soon as well.  But wow can't say I saw it coming.  I also love that about the books so far I have noticed you can't assume anything that is to come.  I really am enjoying them I am half way through book 2 now.   I am glad I decided to read this series.   :smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
Coanda-1910
0 Kudos

I definitely understand the problem you describe. I've tried three separate times to read A Game of Thrones and never gotten beyond 200 pages... and I'm usually not a particularly picky fantasy reader. I think it's an issue of character and place names - after 50 pages I'm confused, after 100 pages my head is spinning, and after 150 pages my brain hurts and I'm wondering if I should bust out a notepad. A brief glance at the relevant wikipedia page finds 87 characters listed as "notable characters" in the series.

Some day I'll probably give it another shot, and maybe next time I'll get far enough in to start actually following the story. I hope so, because I'm told it really is a great read.