Distinguished Correspondent
rerose1975
0 Kudos

Addicted to free books!

I've owned my NC since just after Christmas.  I have been on a downloading spree since then.  I just can't stop looking through free book lists and downloading things.  At this rate I'll never read everything I have, yet I still can't stop!

Is there a 12 step program?  Anyone want to start one with me?

:smileywink:

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

Re: Addicted to free books!

I have that addiction too :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Yep it's definitely an addiction!
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

It's a joy when a brand new adventure in reading is discovered. :smileyhappy:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

rerose1975 wrote:

I've owned my NC since just after Christmas.  I have been on a downloading spree since then.  I just can't stop looking through free book lists and downloading things.  At this rate I'll never read everything I have, yet I still can't stop!

Is there a 12 step program?  Anyone want to start one with me?

I think you'll find that there are A LOT of us ebook addicts! :smileyvery-happy: As for a 12 step program...I think your major difficulty will be in finding anyone willing to give up their addiction!

Contributor
cool_beans
0 Kudos

I received my NC at Christmas time. I figured out how to get over 1,800,000 free books to look over and download. With this many books, this is worse than an addiction. 12 Step.....Nah !! Some of here in the commune need Psyc. docs !!
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Oh jeez, I'd need at least a 340 step program. :smileytongue:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
rerose1975
0 Kudos

I need to stop downloading so I can start reading!  I remember before I had kids, I'd always go to the Library and check out the maximum amount and head home... then I read and read and read.  With the free books there is no end to the browsing! 

I'm glad to now be alone..... :-)

Inspired Contributor
Ryan_L
0 Kudos

I think as far as addictions go this a pretty healthy one, at least for our wallets!

Free on bn.com: Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Strangely enough I'm still selective as to which free e-books I'll download.  If I know I most likely won't ever read it I don't bother downloading it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
Mupples
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Strangely enough I'm still selective as to which free e-books I'll download.  If I know I most likely won't ever read it I don't bother downloading it.

I'm the same way. Some stuff I'm just plan not interested in and I can't see wasting my time when I have tons of other choices. Free Fridays are good for trying a genre I don't usually buy into- like romance or sci-fi. I've been known to take one here and there though :smileyhappy: Great little perk to the Nook.

Frequent Contributor
WriterGurl1
0 Kudos

I went on the free-downloading spree as well, but quickly found myself not wanting to finish the books. There have been a few that were great, but on the whole...meh. Harlequin released a few freebies that were good even though my taste run more toward Jennifer Cruisie and Stuart Woods. I'm addicted to romance  and mystery, but I've found the freebies are usually heavily christian based when it comes to romance (I like a little more spice) and the mysteries are few and far between. I started opening up my wallet ( a little bit--I don't buy books that cost over $5 ) and have found that my desire to read is back. I haven't gone the library route, but it's on my list. Bottom line is that ebooks have helped my... bottom line:smileytongue: now that I'm not picking up every new paperback I see in the checkout aisle. Plus, my house seems so much bigger without my shelves overflowing with books!

There is nothing better than getting lost in a great book!
If you enjoy romance, be sure to check out my novels:

An Unexpected Obsession  

A Dose of Reality

Correspondent
iluv2readmynook
0 Kudos

It is refreshing to know that I am not alone in my addiction to free and less expensive books!  I remember about 4-6 weeks ago when I found this forum, and stumbled across Doug P.'s free book list!  Talk about finding the "mother load" of free books!  Until then I had been very happy with the free Friday books. I don't get every book, just because it is free, I'm at least somewhat careful.  The recent $5.00 books special has been very profitable for bn.com, as I took advantage of many of those books.  Now if I only had enough time to read all of the books that I have collected in the past 10 months!!!!  I read more now than I ever have and I'm loving it.  I also truly enjoy reading these threads each day and learning from others!

rerose1975
0 Kudos

I don't take them all, I'm not the biggest "bodice ripper" fan and if the cover doesn't look interesting... then I just can't bring myself to hit download.

I thought I had struck GOLD when I found Doug, then the inkmesh.com site was just the icing!  I think I mixed metaphors... LOL

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I tend to download any free book that looks the least bit interesting.  I figure if it turns out to be something I don't like I can just delete it.  I won't know if it is good unless I download it and try.  That is why my Nook isn't even a month old and I have over 100 books on it.  Variety is the spice of life and I feel like I get stuck in certain genre ruts.  This gives me the chance to sample books I otherwise might have passed up.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained especially when it is free!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

kathylcsw wrote:

That is why my Nook isn't even a month old and I have over 100 books on it.

You only have 100?!?

Tsk, tsk girl, you aren't hanging out here in the Nookbook forum nearly enough! :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

@ Desert_BratI haven't been able to add any books - free or otherwise -  from B&N for over a week now.  My debit card got compromised and was killed by my bank.  I am impatiently awaiting my new card so I can activate it and start adding again!  The number of books I have will surely go up once I can get them from B&N again!  Now the issue becomes actually reading them!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

kathylcsw wrote:

My debit card got compromised and was killed by my bank.

Oh no! So sorry to hear that. We had that happen once, so now I use a Walmart money card for all online stuff. It's sort of a pay-as-you-go VISA card that you can add more funds to at any time. So the most anybody would get is $25, because that's what I keep on it.

Hope your new card comes soon so you can get in the fray again.