Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

Adobe Digital Editions

Sorry if this was already mentioned somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Will the DRM on bn books not allow me to view them in adobe digital editions? I thought I read somewhere it would so that these book would be readable on other devices in the future if need be.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe Digital Editions

This one is above my pay grade, NC.  I looked in My Documents and couldn't find my B&N ebooks.  I'd like to know the answer as well.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

naylorchic
0 Kudos

When I open ADE and click on "Nook" on the left-hand side I see all my books there, but can't open them. It says they are authorized by a different user or something like that. So if/when I get a new device someday I won't be able to read these books on it unless I strip the DRM? That's kind of crappy :robotmad:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Is this with your nook plugged into your computer???

You can always read those books (purchased through B&N) on the B&N eReader if you want to read them on your computer, no need to plug in the nook or use ADE for this.

As to being able to put the B&N content on a Sony Reader or a Kindle or something else, that is probably not going to work unless the new device has an agreement with B&N.

naylorchic
0 Kudos

Yes while the nook is plugged to my computer.  I didn't want to put it on a sony, kindle, or anything else in particular. I'm just thinking way out in the future. Like one day if they ever release something in color and the price falls to around what I paid for nook then I may decide to buy something else. I would like to transfer my library to the new device. I know I wouldn't have to because I could still read it on the computer or nook. It would be a nice option though.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

The Frog has it right - the B&N reader allows you to download your B&N books and read them on your computer.  Just another way B&N keeps its tentacles in "your" eBooks.  It's like going to the store and buying a hardcover book, and them attaching a device to it, telling you that you can only read it in your house - if you try and take it out of your house it will lock up and you can't open it.  How the publishers have survived all these centuries without this technology is amazing.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

As this FAQ from Adobe states, there will be a future edition of  ADE that will be compatible with B&N's DRM scheme.

Q: When will Content Server-compatible devices support this new password protection option? A: Adobe will deliver later in 2009 an enhanced Reader Mobile SDK that, among other new features, will support the new password-based EPUB protection option. Devices that integrate this enhanced RMSDK will be compatible with EPUB content sold by the Barnes & Noble eBookstore, although the devices may require manual transfer of content until the next major version of Adobe Digital Editions is released. This compatibility may also include firmware upgrades made available for existing devices, as determined by our licensees.

However, they do seem to be a bit behind schedule.

naylorchic
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart wrote:

As this FAQ from Adobe states, there will be a future edition of  ADE that will be compatible with B&N's DRM scheme.

Q: When will Content Server-compatible devices support this new password protection option? A: Adobe will deliver later in 2009 an enhanced Reader Mobile SDK that, among other new features, will support the new password-based EPUB protection option. Devices that integrate this enhanced RMSDK will be compatible with EPUB content sold by the Barnes & Noble eBookstore, although the devices may require manual transfer of content until the next major version of Adobe Digital Editions is released. This compatibility may also include firmware upgrades made available for existing devices, as determined by our licensees.

Thanks for the info. They quite behind aren't they. I'll just watch for updates for ADE. Thanks again!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
naylorchic wrote:

Ed_Mart wrote:

Thanks for the info. They quite behind aren't they. I'll just watch for updates for ADE. Thanks again!

They probably did release an early version of the SDK.  At least B&N has it, and used it for their software.

They now state 2010 for the general release of the SDK.  And still say the next release for ADE itself.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishing/barnes_noble_faq.html

Reader
MALRU
0 Kudos

I have downloaded the Nook App for PC on my home computer and it works fine but my work computer will only allow Adobe Digital Editions. Before I signed up for B&N I had also read that the books could be read on ADE but all the books I purchased have the error message "Document is licensed for a different user account" even though we can see that the computer is registered to my Adobe ID. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MALRU wrote:

Before I signed up for B&N I had also read that the books could be read on ADE

Not yet. Adobe has said that sometime this year they'll update ADE to work with B&N e-books. See the posting just above yours.

Reader
Iowa_Engineer
0 Kudos

This is why i have started to buy books from Google eBooks instead of B&N.  I like using Adobe Digital Editions for managing all my ebook  files on my PC.....newspapers, books, PDFs.  I can buy an ebook from google and read it on my laptop or my Nook.  But I can't do that with books purchased from B&N.  Yes, I can read them on the B&N reader...but why bother if I can buy them from google and use just one reader for everthing.  B&N...please work your DRM with ADE....you'll get more sales!

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if the hold up is on Adobe's side or B&N's.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

sygram wrote:

Either way it's held up and we have no influence over either B&N or Adobe.  So does it really matter?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

sygram wrote:

From what I understand, B&N has provided the necessary information to Adobe, Adobe hasn't done anything with it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

sygram wrote:

Either way it's held up and we have no influence over either B&N or Adobe.  So does it really matter?

No, not really, just pure curiosity on my end.

bklvr896 wrote:

sygram wrote:

From what I understand, B&N has provided the necessary information to Adobe, Adobe hasn't done anything with it.

I thought I had seen that mentioned somewhere here on the boards but I never saw if that was confirmed.  Again, just curiosity.

New User
Boffy
0 Kudos

Well BN has just lost one customer for ebooks. If I can't open them with ADE and put them on other compatible devices then I will just purchase the books from google or kobe where I can put them on the nook or any other device. Get with the freaking program BN I would like to continue purchasing ebooks from you but won't if I can't put them on other devices.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Boffy wrote:

Well BN has just lost one customer for ebooks. If I can't open them with ADE and put them on other compatible devices then I will just purchase the books from google or kobe where I can put them on the nook or any other device. Get with the freaking program BN I would like to continue purchasing ebooks from you but won't if I can't put them on other devices.

Did you miss the part where it was explained that B&N has provided the necessary information to Adobe, Adobe just hasn't done anything with it?  And, from what I've read, Sony specifically chose not to include it in their latest update to their eReader program.