Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Again, Books more expensive at BN

[ Edited ]
I wanted to purchase The Great Gatsby and Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts. iBooks has the first for $4.99 and second for $9.99. On BN the first $10.93 and second $12.99. I don't like to side load and don't like reading books on iPad, but guess I will for these two books. I decided to check j d Robb's latest in Death series, again iBooks has it for $11.99 and BN for $14.99.
A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A

Re: Again, Books more expensive at BN

"The Great Gatsby" is free at Feedbooks.com, listed in Free Public Domain Books. With 'BlueFire Reader' installed on the iPad it is a straightforward download.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Not always more expensive at BN. Different stores price drop books at different times. This time that book at that store, another time this book at this store. Price matching as much as a day or two later is common amongst retailers.

I find it's best to be patient. Or go to the public library if they have it, then it's free. Usually about the time I buy it elsewhere for a less price, it is even cheaper some where else the following week and then again, might be even cheaper here the week after that. Just like any other retailer, not everyone always has the same thing at the same time for the same price.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Thanks A3A, free is even better!
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I understand what you are saying compulsiveread, but I was a bit frustrated when I decided to treat myself to a relaxing Mothers Day read, that all three books were priced higher.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

[ Edited ]

FYI - You can't sideload from the iBookstore. Apple uses a proprietary DRM.  Anything you buy from them can only be read on Apple devices.

Wordsmith
Tim40744

[ Edited ]

A3A wrote:
"The Great Gatsby" is free at Feedbooks.com, listed in Free Public Domain Books. With 'BlueFire Reader' installed on the iPad it is a straightforward download.

Feedbooks is based in France. Since France is a "Life+70" country, GG is in the public domain...in France. GG is not in the Public Domain in the US.

Edit: FYI for anyone shopping for this book, three different(same?) scams are running on B&N where PubIt individuals are selling 22 pages *free* samples for $2.99. The only legitimate one indicates that it is "Sold by: Simon & Schuster."

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Dead Horse

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

For what it's worth, I found the first four Ender Wiggins books to be the same price or cheaper on B&N than at Amazon or Kobo.  Prices below are current as of May 24, 4:30 PM EDT but I could have sworn a few of the prices were more expensive at Amazon on Monday.

Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin Series #1)

$4.39 at both B&N and Amazon, $4.99 at Kobo

Speaker for the Dead (Ender Wiggin Series #2)

$6.83 at B&N and Amazon, $7.99 at Kobo

Xenocide (Ender Wiggin Series #3)

$5.99 at both B&N and Amazon, $7.99 at Kobo

Children of the Mind (Ender Wiggin Series #4)

$5.99 at both B&N and Amazon, $8.99 at Kobo

Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow Series #1)  

$5.12 at both B&N and Amazon, $5.99 at Kobo

I did find Ender's World cheaper off B&N:  $11.21 at B&N, $9.99 elsewhere

Ender's World

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Wordsmith
Tim40744

Omnigeek wrote:

For what it's worth, I found the first four Ender Wiggins books to be the same price or cheaper on B&N than at Amazon or Kobo.  Prices below are current as of May 24, 4:30 PM EDT but I could have sworn a few of the prices were more expensive at Amazon on Monday.

I'm sure they were. IIRC, Amazon uses a web spider to check competitor's prices. It's not likely a coincidence that the price "just happened" to also be $4.39.