Allem-o
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon Lower Price than Nook

[ Edited ]

Valley of Death  

B&N - $28.00

Amazon - $19.25

Google eBooks - $19.25

I'd like to read this and most likely would spend $19.25, but not $28.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

When we used to have a Forum Admin here prices would somehow magically get matched when there were large discrepancies.  Of course B&N's policy is not to pricematch... :smileywink:

It just somehow magically happened by coincidence after someone wrote about it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Couldn't you buy it on Google Books and then side-load it ??

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Distinguished Correspondent
Allem-o
0 Kudos

gandalf1369 wrote:

Couldn't you buy it on Google Books and then side-load it ??

Yes gandalf, and I may end up doing that when it comes time to read it.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

That's what I'll end up doing.  It's just frustraing that the price difference is so large on so many ebooks that I want.  Fifty cents to a dollar difference you wouldn't mind.  But when books are consistantly 50-60% higher than Kindle prices, it stinks.

New User
RGLOVE
0 Kudos

I'm about to but and hadn't considered this topic in the comparison. Are Amazon book prices consistently lower or is as would be expected - each is lower on some than the other, but it balances out?

Thanks!

btw - it's right glove as opposed to my twin brother who is left glove - not something goofy.

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

Amazon got into the eBook business quite a bit before B&N and reached agreements with the publishers before they publishers realized their mistake.  MAny publishers have altered their agreement with Amazon but not all (yet).  When B&N approached them, they had experience behind them and did not make the same mistake again. 

Record companies made the same mistake with itunes before releasing how much money was at stake.

When all of the smoke settles, eBooks will be handled just like regular books.  If I had to guess, I would say when books first come out, they would be hardback and audio only.  Paperback and eBooks would then follow with similar MSRP but the stores will have the option to sell at any price.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is what happened. Apple made a deal with 5 of the 6 largest publishers that the publishers would set the lowest price that their ebooks could be sold for. This prevents any retailer from under cutting the Ibook store on price on these books. Prior to this Amazon was able to sell these books at a loss and under cut B&N's prices. Because Amazon sells every thing they could afford to sell a lot of books at a loss,something that B&N couldn't and still can't.

draksig wrote:

Amazon got into the eBook business quite a bit before B&N and reached agreements with the publishers before they publishers realized their mistake.  MAny publishers have altered their agreement with Amazon but not all (yet).  When B&N approached them, they had experience behind them and did not make the same mistake again. 

Record companies made the same mistake with itunes before releasing how much money was at stake.

When all of the smoke settles, eBooks will be handled just like regular books.  If I had to guess, I would say when books first come out, they would be hardback and audio only.  Paperback and eBooks would then follow with similar MSRP but the stores will have the option to sell at any price.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

JREwing wrote:

That's what I'll end up doing.  It's just frustraing that the price difference is so large on so many ebooks that I want.  Fifty cents to a dollar difference you wouldn't mind.  But when books are consistantly 50-60% higher than Kindle prices, it stinks.

While I certainly appreciate the frustration when the particular book you are looking for to read on your NOOK is at a lower price elsewhere, I don't agree that prices at B&N are "consistantly" higher.

I see a lot of anectodal, one-off postings of particular titles. Nothing that would reach, for me, a scientifically valid sample size when we are talking 100s of thousands (more than a million, depending on if you count all the free content on both sites) of ebooks overall.

Until someone does some serious data comparison, the few post here are not going to convince me that Amazon is cheaper overall on eBook pricing. It used to be the case, but with the Agency model, prices seem to have evened out for the most part.

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

I agree that it's RARE for Amazon to have a lower price on an ebook than BN.  I only saw it for the first time myself the other day (that is, I saw it in the normal course of looking for books for myself, not following a link that somebody else posted.)  Most books I've seen are exactly the same price at both sites.  Part of that is due to agency pricing, but even in the case of non-agency books usually Amazon and BN are pretty even.

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

I'd like to add another one to the list.....

Unplanned 

B&N: $13.79

Amazon: 9.99

Hardcover: 13.99

Might as well just buy the hardcover.....somewhere besides B&N lol.  Anything we can do on that oh magic B&N price fairies?

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

Okay, how about this:

Invisible   

BN - $5.59

Amazon - FREE!

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

Well looky looky, today:

Invisible  by Lorena McCourtney

Amazon - Free

BN - Free

So this does work!  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've noticed that some books are available from amazon for the kindle but not available from B&N for our nooks.  What's up with that?:smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
ResilientPhoenix
0 Kudos

Another one-

Wading Home

9.99 on BN

Free on Amazon

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Give them time.  Publishers set the rates for most books.  It's possible Amazon just reacted a bit more quickly than B&N.  The biggest differences will most likely be with the independent publishers.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4

Sometimes Amazon has the wrong price listed for an ebook and it's supposed to be higher.  Sometimes their price is just lower.  Sometimes B&N's price is lower.  Sometimes Amazon has free ebooks that aren't free at B&N.  Sometimes B&N has free ebooks that aren't free at Amazon.

Reader 2
ktrout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Hidden Reality

B&N Hardcover: $15.76  NookBook $16.47

Amazon Hardcover $14.98  Amazon Kindle: $12.38

Google Books: $16.17

It's a bit frustrating when the most expensive way to buy a book is for the Nook and the least expensive way is for the Kindle.

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

Unplanned still at $13.79 for B&N.  Amazon is still $9.99.  Now what I find most ironic, the hardcover for B&N $13.44...how the crap does that work out lol.

I would really like this for my vacation next week but it appears that may not happen.  Guess I'll be looking for the hardcover for cheap when I get home. :smileysad:

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.