Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Amazon simplifies e-book returns

It's not news that Amazon allows you to return e-books within 7 days of purchase, while B&N doesn't allow you to return them at all after you've downloaded them unless they're seriously defective. But now Amazon has simplified the e-book return process to a few online clicks (it used to be you had to call or email them).

[Thanks to The eBook Reader Blog for the heads-up on this.]

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon simplifies e-book returns

Very interesting.

I have to wonder whether this isn't a kind of guerilla protest on Amazon's part against the agency model. Apparently it's a loophole in the agreement with the publishers. I wonder how long before someone tries to plug it.

After all, many folks can and do read a book in 7 days.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Gee, read books for free.
Contributor
Lady-Goldfyre
0 Kudos

I have had a few that I wish I could return, either because the editing was so terrible or the writing was. :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sun_Cat wrote:

I'd have to agree with that.  If I have the time I can read a lengthy book (400-600 pages) in one day.  I wonder how much $ Amazon will lose from this or if they will shorten the return period after a month or two...

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Nevermore1 wrote:

Sun_Cat wrote:

I'd have to agree with that.  If I have the time I can read a lengthy book (400-600 pages) in one day.  I wonder how much $ Amazon will lose from this or if they will shorten the return period after a month or two...

I don't know that Amazon is all that concerned about losing some money, they're more interested in eliminating the competion.  Before agency pricing went into effect about 2 years ago, they were willing to lose about $3 per bestseller to sell them at the $9.99 price point.

Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

The 7 day return policy has always been in place even before the Agency Model.  The only difference is now instead of having to call them, you can do it on line.