Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

B&N Membership Qualifies Members for NOOKbook Discounts?

As I stated in a previous post, I was charged $9.68 for a $1.99 NOOKbook.  My telephone conversations eventually led to an agreement that B&N would refund $7.69 to my credit card and I would retain the NOOKbook in my library.  At the end of that call, I asked if there were a reference number for the conversation and was told that I would receive a confirming e-mail.

Well, I received the e-mail, and this is what it said:

"Based on your recent inquiry, we feel that this issue (The ebook was at a discounted price for $1.99. However, you were not qualified for this ebook. You need to have a Barnes & Noble membership, currently, yours expired on 12/2010) was resolved."

Really?  I can get discounted NOOKbooks with my B&N membership?  Gee, I discontinued my membership precisely because I was told that it didn't apply to NOOKbooks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Membership Qualifies Members for NOOKbook Discounts?

LOL, this is news to me.  They certainly haven't listed it as a benefit to membership, or sent notification to members, or done anything else (anything at all) to let anyone know about it.

Alex, or any of the mods (or FT or Mercury) - Can you confirm if this information is accurate?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Wow! Qualified? I bet that's news to everyone. If you have to qualify as a B&N member in order to get a sale price, I'm pretty sure that has to be listed someplace visible. If true, and they continue to deny your refund, you might want to consider contacting the Better Business Bureau or your state Attorney General.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I can't believe it's remotely true, but it definitely shines a spotlight on the issues with B&N's customer service training.
keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:
I can't believe it's remotely true, but it definitely shines a spotlight on the issues with B&N's customer service training.

The thing that's really worrisome is that they put it in writing.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@MacMcK1957:

I didn't really think it was true.  I guess sarcasm just doesn't come across well on the board; as you imagined, my point was to highlight the ridiculous training (or lack thereof) of B&N's customer service department.

keriflur
0 Kudos

BrandieC wrote:

@MacMcK1957:

I didn't really think it was true.  I guess sarcasm just doesn't come across well on the board; as you imagined, my point was to highlight the ridiculous training (or lack thereof) of B&N's customer service department.

You should send a PM to Alex - he'll be able to confirm the validity of the CS statement and may be able to help you get the discount you were supposed to receive.