Frequent Contributor
bilbravo

B&N/Nook books on Sony reader?

[ Edited ]

I have a Nook but my wife likes the look/feel of the Sony reader.  I'm not sure we'll get one, but I was wondering if the books from the B&N bookstore will work on the Sony too?  I'm looking for some clarification on how this all works.

I was told when I bought nook that you can activate 4 of them (i.e. my wife and I can share the same B&N account and books).  Is that true?

If so, does that apply to a Sony reader?  Is it 4 devices, or 4 nooks?  Can the Sony reader even read books from B&N store?  I know it reads the Adobe PDF/ePub files from our local library.

Basically what I want to know is if I can buy books with the nook and also use them on the Sony reader.  I know we can use them on our Android phones when the application is finally released, and on our laptop.  But we want another reader and I want her to get the one she likes the look/feel of most.

Thanks!

edit:  So after some google searching I found the answer (on this forum no less, but didn't find it through my first search here!).  Apparently I can't put the B&N books on the Sony reader.  So if I want to remain device agnostic I should buy Adobe PDF/ePub books from somewhere else.  Although it looks like if you buy from fictionwise (which is owned by B&N) I can use the books on both Sony and nook... is this true?

- Zach
Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Re: B&N/Nook books on Sony reader?

IIRC, the eBooks from the B&N store contain DRM which means you cannot transfer them to another device that cannot handle that specific DRM (B&N does have software that allows for transferring/reading your books on various devices, but I am unsure of the specifics on how it works).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats#Supporting_Hardware

This link shows you which formats of eBooks are supported on which readers. From this table, you can see that any non-DRM'd PDF or epub formated eBook will be readable on both the Sony Reader and the nook.

As for books from Fictionwise, from what I was looking it, it appears that your supposition would apply only to those books listed as [Multi-format] and not any of the other formats.

According to their help site:

•  
    •  
      •  
        •  
          • MultiFormat: Unencrypted eBooks that are available in a variety of formats for handheld devices and computersWhen you purchase a MultiFormat eBook, you can download it in any or all of these 13 formats:

eReader [-er.PDB]
            ePub [.EPUB]
            Adobe [.PDF]
            Microsoft [.LIT]
            Palm Doc [.PDB]
            Rocket/REB1100 [.RB]
            Franklin [.FUB]
            Hiebook [.KML]
            Sony Reader [.LRF]
            Isilo [-is.PDB]
            Mobipocket [.PRC]
            Kindle [.MOBI]
            OEBFF Full VGA [.IMP]
            OEBFF Half VGA [.IMP]

The bolded one is the one you would want for both readers.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I currently have both the Sony and the nook...

You cannot currently use any BN books on the Sony...

Anything you can use on the Sony can be used on the Nook...

Both eReaders will use epub and pdf files, those are what you want to concentrate on, primarily epub books.  It doesn't matter if you purchase them through Sony, Fictionwise, Kobo, etc...

Fictionwise has both the multiformat epub and the Secure epub, both work on the Sony and the nook.  You do not want the Secure eReader format as that will only work on the nook.

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

Thanks to you both.

FrogAlum, I just saw a thread on another forum about the Sony bookstore.  It agrees with your assertion that anything I can use on Sony I can use here, because it looks like the Sony store uses Adobe ID which uses Adobe Editions, which will copy DRM'ed stuff to my nook to use.  Looks like I should go with the Sony store.

I also heard speculation that since B&N already uses the ePub just with a different DRM that perhaps they may go to the straight Adobe ID DRM which would mean I can buy from either store.

I just would like to stay as neutral as I can, given that my wife has mentioned the Sony Reader even though I love my nook!

Do I have this right: ePub from Sony store uses Adobe ID right?  ePub is open, but can use DRM and in this instance the ePub files from B&N and Sony are different.  Sony uses Adobe ID to validate, B&N uses ePub with their own DRM and in most/some cases use eReader (PDB) files which can only be used with eReader app or on nook.

AHHH so confusing!  haha

- Zach
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

bilbravo wrote:

Thanks to you both.

FrogAlum, I just saw a thread on another forum about the Sony bookstore.  It agrees with your assertion that anything I can use on Sony I can use here, because it looks like the Sony store uses Adobe ID which uses Adobe Editions, which will copy DRM'ed stuff to my nook to use.  Looks like I should go with the Sony store.

I also heard speculation that since B&N already uses the ePub just with a different DRM that perhaps they may go to the straight Adobe ID DRM which would mean I can buy from either store.

I just would like to stay as neutral as I can, given that my wife has mentioned the Sony Reader even though I love my nook!

Do I have this right: ePub from Sony store uses Adobe ID right?  ePub is open, but can use DRM and in this instance the ePub files from B&N and Sony are different.  Sony uses Adobe ID to validate, B&N uses ePub with their own DRM and in most/some cases use eReader (PDB) files which can only be used with eReader app or on nook.

AHHH so confusing!  haha

Basically that's correct.  The B&N epub DRM is a newer version and the it's assumed other eReaders will be upgraded with it later this year.

The best news, once in a while you can find Sony store prepaid cards at a discount.  Target recently had these @ $15 for a $25 card.

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

Is there any news or rumor to suggest that B&N would switch to all ePub with the new DRM rather than Secure eReader or whatever the *.pdb files are?  Because if I understand correctly, the only thing that can read .pdb files are nook and the eReader software.

Also am I the only one that finds it confusing that these devices are called e-readers and B&N named their software "eReader".  GRRR!  lol

- Zach
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

bilbravo wrote:

Is there any news or rumor to suggest that B&N would switch to all ePub with the new DRM rather than Secure eReader or whatever the *.pdb files are?  Because if I understand correctly, the only thing that can read .pdb files are nook and the eReader software.

Also am I the only one that finds it confusing that these devices are called e-readers and B&N named their software "eReader".  GRRR!  lol

B&N is already using the new epub DRM, they are phasing out pdb in favor of epub.  Once the new epub standard (the BN version) is available expect the other epub readers to upgrade.

When the new version is upgraded to Sony (for example) any BN epub books you have will work on the Sony.

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

FrogAlum:  Thank you, I see your name around here a lot.  You are very helpful, much appreciated.

- Zach
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
bilbravo wrote:

Secure eReader files can be read by the NOOK, by the Ectaco Jetbook Lite, and by the Foxit eSlick reader devices. It can also be read by eReader software, which is available on an unusually wide range of platforms, including Linux, Android, and Palm Pre in addition to the usual suspects (iPhone, iPod Touch, PC, Mac, etc.).

B&N continues to provide Secure eReader PDB files when you download to your computer from the Web site. This provides compatibility with those other readers.

B&N generally provides a B&N EPUB when you download wirelessly to your NOOK, but there are times when you'll get a Secure eReader PDB file. I presume that in those cases, B&N doesn't have an EPUB version (dictionaries, for instance, need to be in eReader format because EPUB hasn't provided any way to index them).

B&N EPUB currently can only be read on the NOOK and on B&N brand eReader software for the PC, Mac, and iPhone.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

bilbravo wrote:

FrogAlum:  Thank you, I see your name around here a lot.  You are very helpful, much appreciated.

You're welcome.  :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
Mayfayre
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just got the new Sony PRS-350 and am very disappointed that B&N's DRM'd protected books will not open on it.  This especially doesn't make sense when the books that I am trying to open are books that B&N has given away free.   Isn't the aim of free ebooks to entice readers to start to buy ebooks?  Or is the sole purpose to make us buy a Nook?  I mean, a Nook is a one-time purchase; ebook purchases are ongoing.  Which is more valuable to the company?

My B&N library is currently composed of free books.  I haven't bought any ebooks here yet, and it looks like I'm not going to.  Too bad that B&N's exclusive attitude toward DRM is going to cause them to lose me as a potential ebook customer (I've been a paper book customer of B&N for years) unless I learn how to strip DRM off of my own books in order to use them on my own reader.:smileymad:

(PS:  I absolutely hate to read books on a computer screen - it really bothers my eyes - so using the Nook Reader for PC software is no help).

(PPS:  Thanks to bilbravo for starting a thread with this question - saved me a lot of searching.)

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Mayfayre wrote:

I just got the new Sony PRS-350 and am very disappointed that B&N's DRM'd protected books will not open on it.  This especially doesn't make sense when the books that I am trying to open are books that B&N has given away free.   Isn't the aim of free ebooks to entice readers to start to buy ebooks?  Or is the sole purpose to make us buy a Nook?  I mean, a Nook is a one-time purchase; ebook purchases are ongoing.  Which is more valuable to the company?

My B&N library is currently composed of free books.  I haven't bought any ebooks here yet, and it looks like I'm not going to.  Too bad that B&N's exclusive attitude toward DRM is going to cause them to lose me as a potential ebook customer (I've been a paper book customer of B&N for years) unless I learn how to strip DRM off of my own books in order to use them on my own reader.:smileymad:

(PS:  I absolutely hate to read books on a computer screen - it really bothers my eyes - so using the Nook Reader for PC software is no help).

(PPS:  Thanks to bilbravo for starting a thread with this question - saved me a lot of searching.)

Actually, B&N has provided its DRM to Adobe and Adobe is supposed to be integrating it into ADE so that other devices can read the B&N books.  They just haven't done it yet.  So perhaps one could ask Adobe why this taking so long since this was announced on the Adobe website in October of 2009.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

bklvr896 wrote:

Mayfayre wrote:

Actually, B&N has provided its DRM to Adobe and Adobe is supposed to be integrating it into ADE so that other devices can read the B&N books.  They just haven't done it yet.  So perhaps one could ask Adobe why this taking so long since this was announced on the Adobe website in October of 2009.

The new Abobe software for e-reader devices supporting the B&N DRM has been available for some time. Unfortunately Sony has chosen to disable B&N DRM support in their new readers.

New User
lciprich
0 Kudos

Why is Sony being blamed here??  I've had a Sony pocket ereader for over 3 years. I've been able to download and read hundreds of books free from several libraries, not to mention the hundreds of free classics downloaded from websites. Kindle owners weren't able to download from libraries for several years, now they finally can. If Nook has to use special software that affects Sony users not being able to read epub books, are their users able to download from libraries?? I wanted to buy some Happy Hollister books from B&N for my grandson after only being able to find them in the Kindle version on Amazon and the Nook epubs on B&N, but now I'm thinking they might not work if I do.

I like Sony so much that I have even bought used identical readers on eBay for very little money so that we have extra readers in case the ones we use should bite the dust. I'm pretty sure Sony had ereaders out there before the Nook came on the market.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

lciprich wrote:

Why is Sony being blamed here??  I've had a Sony pocket ereader for over 3 years. I've been able to download and read hundreds of books free from several libraries, not to mention the hundreds of free classics downloaded from websites. Kindle owners weren't able to download from libraries for several years, now they finally can. If Nook has to use special software that affects Sony users not being able to read epub books, are their users able to download from libraries?? I wanted to buy some Happy Hollister books from B&N for my grandson after only being able to find them in the Kindle version on Amazon and the Nook epubs on B&N, but now I'm thinking they might not work if I do.

I like Sony so much that I have even bought used identical readers on eBay for very little money so that we have extra readers in case the ones we use should bite the dust. I'm pretty sure Sony had ereaders out there before the Nook came on the market.

The Nook supports both regular Abobe DRM and B&N DRM. So you can read Abobe DRM library books and books from other Adobe DRM ebookstores like Sony on your Nook.

All ePub ereaders like those from Sony and Kobo use software from Adobe for reading ebooks.

Support for the B&N DRM has been included in this Adobe software for quite some time, but manufacturers like Sony and Kobo have not enabled this support.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob

Holy Resurrection, Batman!

This thread is three years old!

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org