Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

B&N eBook Prices Creeping Up?

Has anyone else noticed that the prices of eBooks on which B&N sets the price (i.e., those not published by an agency model publisher) have been creeping up over the last couple of weeks?  I check my eBook wishlist daily to see if anything has gone on sale, and my non-agency eBooks have been climbing in price:  sometimes by $0.50 or so but in other cases by several dollars.

I've been trying to figure out why this might be happening, and the best I can come up with is that they are anticipating having to lower prices on the (formerly) agency publisher books after the DOJ settlement, so they are trying to anticipatorily make up for it by raising the prices on those books over which they currently have control.  Whatever the reason, though, it's really frustrating me.  I hate feeling like I'm being "nickel and dimed."

Inspired Contributor
rvingmillers
0 Kudos

Re: B&N eBook Prices Creeping Up?

I've noticed it as well.  I check my wish list every day to see if there are sales too, and it seems the prices are creeping up.  I couldn't really afford to buy them at the price they were at, and it certainly is going to make it harder to buy them when the prices keep increasing.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

BrandieC wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that the prices of eBooks on which B&N sets the price (i.e., those not published by an agency model publisher) have been creeping up over the last couple of weeks?  I check my eBook wishlist daily to see if anything has gone on sale, and my non-agency eBooks have been climbing in price:  sometimes by $0.50 or so but in other cases by several dollars.

I've been trying to figure out why this might be happening, and the best I can come up with is that they are anticipating having to lower prices on the (formerly) agency publisher books after the DOJ settlement, so they are trying to anticipatorily make up for it by raising the prices on those books over which they currently have control.  Whatever the reason, though, it's really frustrating me.  I hate feeling like I'm being "nickel and dimed."

How much real competition do we really see in the e-book publishing and selling world?  I'm asking because I don't really know.  There, apparently, is no common format standard, but would the same book be available in Amazon's proprietary format, Apple's propietary format, and the EPUB 3 format?  Can my corner book store sell e-books, and make a profit doing so?

If so, then there might be real price competition, just like for most other consumer goods.  If not, then we have a small group of monopolies operating as an oligopoly that can, and will, control prices to their common benefit, kind of like the DOJ suit against Apple alleges. 

In an ideal world, we would have a selection of (at least) dozens of different sources for our e-books, and those sources would be required to compete in a genuine "free market."  In that free market, they would be forced to do the sorts of things other companies must do in order to survive: eliminate waste, improve productivity, make better use of capital assets, develop better marketing strategies, adopt new technologies, etc.  When a small group of players gets together and colludes to thwart the forces of a free market, we require our federal government to step in and take corrective action under the nation's antitrust laws.  It appears that this is exactly what has happened in the DOJ/Apple case.

The process is not, yet, complete.  I wouldn't expect to see any impact on e-book prices resulting from DOJ actions for a period of months, at least.  Who was it who said something about "the wheels of justice grind slowly, but grind exceedingly fine"?

IMO, only competition -- real competition -- will keep e-book prices under control.  Nothing else will work in a capitalist economy.  If our only choice for a source of e-books for our NOOK readers and tablets is B&N, why would we expect to see lower prices?  Just asking. 

Hmm.  Do you suppose this has anything to do with the apparently increasing popularity of N2A and NFA cards? 

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

deesy58 wrote:
IMO, only competition -- real competition -- will keep e-book prices under control.  Nothing else will work in a capitalist economy.  If our only choice for a source of e-books for our NOOK readers and tablets is B&N, why would we expect to see lower prices?  Just asking. 

Hmm.  Do you suppose this has anything to do with the apparently increasing popularity of N2A and NFA cards? 

But B&N isn't your only choice for ebook sources since you can get EPUB books from Books-a-Million, Kobo, Sony and of course so many publisher-direct sources like Phoenix or Baen.  You don't need N2A or NFA cards to access these sources either so I'm not sure why you bring that non-sequitur into play.

Admit it, you're B&N's Fox Mulder   :smileywink:

(just kidding of course)

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

But B&N isn't your only choice for ebook sources since you can get EPUB books from Books-a-Million, Kobo, Sony and of course so many publisher-direct sources like Phoenix or Baen.  You don't need N2A or NFA cards to access these sources either so I'm not sure why you bring that non-sequitur into play.

(just kidding of course)

Well, you conveniently omitted the part of my post where I said: "How much real competition do we really see in the e-book publishing and selling world?  I'm asking because I don't really know."

Of course, if your real intent was just trolling, then I guess that would explain it. 

You made that sound so easy that I decided to give it a try.  Using Google.com on my NOOK Web browser, I attempted to search on the following terms: "kobo," "kobo ebooks," "sony ebooks" and "books a million."  Imagine my surprise when my NOOK apparently made no effort whatsoever to find any of these search items, simply remaining on the Google home page..

Perhaps there is a secret to doing it.  If so, could you share it?  If I can easily, inexpensively and effortlessly purchase e-books from sources other than B&N, and at prices lower than those charged by B&N, then I want to take advantage of it.  I will also want to be able to keep them on my shelves in my library and read them without problems, although that would not be a "deal killer," so to speak..   

Hmm.  You're not going to tell me that I have to jump through hoops to get these books, are you?  I'm not going to have to load some sort of software into my PC, then purchase and download the book, then connect my NOOK to my PC and transfer the e-book to the tablet using some sort of "sideloading" process, am I?

Oh well, if I can save several dollars on every e-book I purchase, I suppose it would be worth the effort. 

Is there anyplace where I can find specific directions for obtaining these books?  If not, would you mind sharing such directions.

Thanks!

BTW, I never watched "X Files."  Too hokey! 

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deesy58 wrote:
...Using Google.com on my NOOK Web browser, I attempted to search on the following terms: "kobo," "kobo ebooks," "sony ebooks" and "books a million."  Imagine my surprise when my NOOK apparently made no effort whatsoever to find any of these search items, simply remaining on the Google home page..

Hmm.  You're not going to tell me that I have to jump through hoops to get these books, are you?  I'm not going to have to load some sort of software into my PC, then purchase and download the book, then connect my NOOK to my PC and transfer the e-book to the tablet using some sort of "sideloading" process, am I?

I have purchased books from many of these sources.  I'm not sure why your Nook browser using Google.com didn't find them (or even attempt) but I have no problem browsing Kobo, Google Play, etc for ebooks from my NC.  I can even purchase them from my NC.  As for getting them on shelves and reading, over half my library is sideloaded and sorted on shelves (just be aware, that if you sideload them onto an SD card instead of the main memory they will drop off the shelves when you reboot, this is a known issue and has been talked about many times).  I have had no problems reading the "others" eBooks, only when it was purchased in a format other than epub (ie. PDF, and that is just because it is not as nice a reading experience).  

As for how you get them onto the NC, you obviouly are aware of how that happens, otherwise your description of the sideloading process wouldn't be there.  FWIW, I haven't had to use ADE to sideload.  I have only used that for Library Books. 

I will say I will take the ability to sideload books from various vendors vs being totally locked in to a single format from a single vendor.  At least I have the option, If I decide not to take advantage of that option due to a perception of "too many hoops", that is on me not B&N.

Hope this helps you in your quest.

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

No, it's not your imagination.  Many of the ebooks I was hoping would go down in price have actually gone up $1 or more.  B&N is not helping their reputation nor their ebook sales by doing this-since they tend to be the highest priced ebooks in the genres I read.  I am glad I finally broke down and bought an ipad, since it looks like I'll be making most of my book purchases through Amazon (whose prices seem much more realistic).

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

deesy58 wrote:

Omnigeek wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

(just kidding of course)

Well, you conveniently omitted the part of my post where I said: "How much real competition do we really see in the e-book publishing and selling world?  I'm asking because I don't really know."

Of course, if your real intent was just trolling, then I guess that would explain it. 

You made that sound so easy that I decided to give it a try.  Using Google.com on my NOOK Web browser, I attempted to search on the following terms: "kobo," "kobo ebooks," "sony ebooks" and "books a million."  Imagine my surprise when my NOOK apparently made no effort whatsoever to find any of these search items, simply remaining on the Google home page..

Perhaps there is a secret to doing it.  If so, could you share it?  If I can easily, inexpensively and effortlessly purchase e-books from sources other than B&N, and at prices lower than those charged by B&N, then I want to take advantage of it.  I will also want to be able to keep them on my shelves in my library and read them without problems, although that would not be a "deal killer," so to speak..  

Oh well, if I can save several dollars on every e-book I purchase, I suppose it would be worth the effort. 

Is there anyplace where I can find specific directions for obtaining these books?  If not, would you mind sharing such directions.

Thanks!

BTW, I never watched "X Files."  Too hokey! 

The ebook publishing and selling world is (still) intertwined with the DTB format.  For some informative perspectives, check out some of roustabouts posts on what the creation of the "super" bookstore (B&N, Borders, Walden, etc.) did to the independent book stores, the relationships between these super bookstores and the "big" publishers, and the subsequent rise of the megabook bestseller.   Doug Pardee also has provided some good perspective; one of his posts explaining how DTB's are actually priced is fairly near the top of one of the forums. (or it was near the top yesterday anyway.)

Try using the Dolphin browser and you should get some results. 

No, it's not a secret on how to get epub books from other sources.  Ability to do so has been around for quite some time. Initially required that you have a PC but now there are other options.

First there was this idea called Project Guttenberg which was started at Uof I in the 70's (idea was to make all out of copyright books available on the internet.) Then there was this thing called the GoogleBooks project where they actually paid people to go into libraries and scan books so they would be available TO ALL. (Kind of like a great Alexandrial Library on the internet.) Don't even know if all the suits on this last one have been settled or where this ended up.  Then there were independent companies like MobiPocket and fictionwise that sold popular ebooks. (I know I have probably skipped some other sellers here, not intentional, just probably not important either. Point is, you could read some books on a PALM type device in what, early 2000's?)  Sony created one of the first dedicated ereaders in 2006.  The Kindle wasn't released until the end of 2007.  B&N didn't release the NE1 until the end of 2009. And Kobo came out with their ereader in early 2010.  Point is, just because the POPULARITY of ebooks has exponentially increased in the last 12-18 months, doesn't mean that the product didn't exist prior to that.   

Hmm, well I guess I don't consider it to be jumping through hoops, rather sideloading gives me more options.  Currently you can,

1) download the ADE, SONY and KOBO software on your PC, buy through them, and then sideload the books to your Nook.  Using your PC you can also buy through BAEN as mentioned above and some university presses (I am sure that there are some others that I have overlooked, not intentional.)

2) get a "full" android tablet, download the B&N, Sony software, and maybe a reading program you prefer better and import your books into the latter.  (Don't use Kobo but they may have an app that you can do this too.)

3) get an ipad, download the Nook and Kindle apps (you have to buy from through the browser, not the app.)  But note that the Nook and Kindle apps COULD be pulled at any time. (This isn't to be implied that I think that they will be pulled, just that they could.) Only mention this because Sony & Kobo tried to make their similar apps available on itunes prior to the release of the ipad and Apple never let them.  

Doug Pardee has kindly provided helpful instructions for how to sideload books from Sony for a very long time now.  They can be found at the bottom of his signature line.  Also, check out FrogAlum's guide to using ADE. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Perhaps it's simply due to the fact that the prices of everything are going up?  eBooks are not going to be immune to inflation any more than any other product. It certainly costs me more at the grocery store, at the department stores, etc.  Not to mention the cost of fuel, which tends to impact the cost of almost every other product.  

I've also noticed the price of MMPB's increasing. If you look at the top 10 selling MMPBs, 5 are at $7.99 and 5 are $8.99-9.99.   They used to be $5.99, when to $6.99 and then stayed at $7.99 for several years.  Now they appear to be creeping up.

Not saying that is all that is going on, but you can't ignore that the cost of most consumer products have been steadily increasing.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

A_Wilson wrote:

deesy58 wrote:
...Using Google.com on my NOOK Web browser, I attempted to search on the following terms: "kobo," "kobo ebooks," "sony ebooks" and "books a million."  Imagine my surprise when my NOOK apparently made no effort whatsoever to find any of these search items, simply remaining on the Google home page..

I have purchased books from many of these sources.  I'm not sure why your Nook browser using Google.com didn't find them (or even attempt) but I have no problem browsing Kobo, Google Play, etc for ebooks from my NC.  I can even purchase them from my NC.  As for getting them on shelves and reading, over half my library is sideloaded and sorted on shelves (just be aware, that if you sideload them onto an SD card instead of the main memory they will drop off the shelves when you reboot, this is a known issue and has been talked about many times).  I have had no problems reading the "others" eBooks, only when it was purchased in a format other than epub (ie. PDF, and that is just because it is not as nice a reading experience).  

As for how you get them onto the NC, you obviouly are aware of how that happens, otherwise your description of the sideloading process wouldn't be there.  FWIW, I haven't had to use ADE to sideload.  I have only used that for Library Books. 

I will say I will take the ability to sideload books from various vendors vs being totally locked in to a single format from a single vendor.  At least I have the option, If I decide not to take advantage of that option due to a perception of "too many hoops", that is on me not B&N.

Hope this helps you in your quest.

Thank you for the information.

Hmm.  I just tried it again.  Google will provide me no results if I search on these terms.  I was, however, able to enter the Kobo URL into the browser and access the kobo.com Web site's home page.  Once there, however, I can't seem to do anything else.  It makes no difference which link I select (eBOOKS, REGISTER), nothing happens except that the REGISTER link changed color, showing that the page was rendering properly.  

I did the same thing for booksamillion.com, and was, once again, able to access the home page.  When I try to select the "Fiction" category, my NOOK browser appears to "hang up" with the progress bar about half-way across the top of the screen and the "processing" wheel turning.  This state appears to remain indefinitely.  It makes the site unusable to me from my NOOK. 

Not sure what is going on, here, but it doesn't seem to be very easy to acquire e-books from sources other than B&N.

Does purchasing a NOOK Tablet mean that one must also purchase or keep one's PC computer?  It appears so. 

BTW, I have version 1.4.2 of the software. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Perhaps it's simply due to the fact that the prices of everything are going up?  eBooks are not going to be immune to inflation any more than any other product. It certainly costs me more at the grocery store, at the department stores, etc.  Not to mention the cost of fuel, which tends to impact the cost of almost every other product.  

I've also noticed the price of MMPB's increasing. If you look at the top 10 selling MMPBs, 5 are at $7.99 and 5 are $8.99-9.99.   They used to be $5.99, when to $6.99 and then stayed at $7.99 for several years.  Now they appear to be creeping up.

Not saying that is all that is going on, but you can't ignore that the cost of most consumer products have been steadily increasing.

We need to keep in mind, though, that digital products bear prices that have countered inflation for more than 30 years (40?).  Look at the prices of TVs, computers, cell phones, digital cameras, etc.  Due to the effects of Moore's Law, products made from solid-state electronics have actually been decreasing in price for many years, and this includes most software (how much do you pay for an app for your Apple or Android?). 

e-Books should be no different.  If a free market prevails in e-books, prices should be decreasing, not increasing.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

The ebook publishing and selling world is (still) intertwined with the DTB format.  For some informative perspectives, check out some of roustabouts posts on what the creation of the "super" bookstore (B&N, Borders, Walden, etc.) did to the independent book stores, the relationships between these super bookstores and the "big" publishers, and the subsequent rise of the megabook bestseller.   Doug Pardee also has provided some good perspective; one of his posts explaining how DTB's are actually priced is fairly near the top of one of the forums. (or it was near the top yesterday anyway.)

No, it's not a secret on how to get epub books from other sources.  Ability to do so has been around for quite some time. Initially required that you have a PC but now there are other options.

First there was this idea called Project Guttenberg which was started at Uof I in the 70's (idea was to make all out of copyright books available on the internet.) Then there was this thing called the GoogleBooks project where they actually paid people to go into libraries and scan books so they would be available TO ALL. (Kind of like a great Alexandrial Library on the internet.) Don't even know if all the suits on this last one have been settled or where this ended up.  Then there were independent companies like MobiPocket and fictionwise that sold popular ebooks. (I know I have probably skipped some other sellers here, not intentional, just probably not important either. Point is, you could read some books on a PALM type device in what, early 2000's?)  Sony created one of the first dedicated ereaders in 2006.  The Kindle wasn't released until the end of 2007.  B&N didn't release the NE1 until the end of 2009. And Kobo came out with their ereader in early 2010.  Point is, just because the POPULARITY of ebooks has exponentially increased in the last 12-18 months, doesn't mean that the product didn't exist prior to that.   

Hmm, well I guess I don't consider it to be jumping through hoops, rather sideloading gives me more options.  Currently you can,

1) download the ADE, SONY and KOBO software on your PC, buy through them, and then sideload the books to your Nook.  Using your PC you can also buy through BAEN as mentioned above and some university presses (I am sure that there are some others that I have overlooked, not intentional.)

2) get a "full" android tablet, download the B&N, Sony software, and maybe a reading program you prefer better and import your books into the latter.  (Don't use Kobo but they may have an app that you can do this too.)

3) get an ipad, download the Nook and Kindle apps (you have to buy from through the browser, not the app.)  But note that the Nook and Kindle apps COULD be pulled at any time. (This isn't to be implied that I think that they will be pulled, just that they could.) Only mention this because Sony & Kobo tried to make their similar apps available on itunes prior to the release of the ipad and Apple never let them.  

Doug Pardee has kindly provided helpful instructions for how to sideload books from Sony for a very long time now.  They can be found at the bottom of his signature line.  Also, check out FrogAlum's guide to using ADE. 

I followed your advice and tried to purchase an e-book from Kobo because it was less expensive than B&N by $2.30.  Unfortunately, after three attempt to submit my order only to receive the same unhelpful error message I gave up: "Sorry, but we couldn't complete your order because an unexpected error occurred. Please try again later." 

Unexpected to me, too.  :smileyfrustrated:

Perhaps that is why B&N is able to command higher prices.  Their Web site actually works!  :smileywink:

Scribe
frantastk

deesy58 wrote:

NookGardener wrote:

I followed your advice and tried to purchase an e-book from Kobo because it was less expensive than B&N by $2.30.  Unfortunately, after three attempt to submit my order only to receive the same unhelpful error message I gave up: "Sorry, but we couldn't complete your order because an unexpected error occurred. Please try again later." 

Unexpected to me, too.  :smileyfrustrated:

Perhaps that is why B&N is able to command higher prices.  Their Web site actually works!  :smileywink:

I've had that happen at Kobo frequently. Look in your Kobo library on the website. Every time I've gotten that error message, the order actually did go through and the book was sitting in my library on the website. If you tried to buy the book more than once, you might want to make sure they didn't charge you for each try. If the book is in your Kobo library on their website you can just download it from there.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

I've had that happen at Kobo frequently. Look in your Kobo library on the website. Every time I've gotten that error message, the order actually did go through and the book was sitting in my library on the website. If you tried to buy the book more than once, you might want to make sure they didn't charge you for each try. If the book is in your Kobo library on their website you can just download it from there.

I just checked.

No joy!  Nothing in my library.  Wait 'til Monday and try to contact their Technical Support staff, I guess.  Their Web site seems to be a little "unfinished," IMO.   :smileyfrustrated:

Thanks for your assistance.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

frantastk wrote:

I just checked.

No joy!  Nothing in my library.  Wait 'til Monday and try to contact their Technical Support staff, I guess.  Their Web site seems to be a little "unfinished," IMO.   :smileyfrustrated:

OKAY, then.  I just now tried it again, and it worked.  Why?  I have no idea. 

The book is in my library, and in my ADE on my PC.  I assume that I will now be able to transfer (copy) it to my NOOK. 

AND -- I saved $2.30. 

This has turned out to be a good day. 

Thanks to everybody for their assistance.  :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

frantastk wrote:

I just checked.

The book is in my library, and in my ADE on my PC.  I assume that I will now be able to transfer (copy) it to my NOOK. 

AND -- I saved $2.30. 

Their website is a bit squirrely at times.  Their customer service is terrible (as bad as B&N's phone and email CS) also.  BUT, they used to have really amazing sales, and hopefully they will again, fingers crossed.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

frantastk wrote:

I just checked.

AND -- I saved $2.30. 

Their website is a bit squirrely at times.  Their customer service is terrible (as bad as B&N's phone and email CS) also.  BUT, they used to have really amazing sales, and hopefully they will again, fingers crossed.

I hate Kobo's website. The search function is terrible. I only shop there because they send out awesome coupons on the non-Agency books. Their prices seem to be a bit higher than B&N on the books I've looked at but the coupons bring the prices down way below B&N. As bad as Kobo's shop is, I think Sony's is worse. I won't use Sony at all. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

keriflur wrote:

I hate Kobo's website. The search function is terrible. I only shop there because they send out awesome coupons on the non-Agency books. Their prices seem to be a bit higher than B&N on the books I've looked at but the coupons bring the prices down way below B&N. As bad as Kobo's shop is, I think Sony's is worse. I won't use Sony at all. 

Have never used Kobo but might check it out.  Yes, Sony's software can be pretty squirelly as well.  Some days it works.  If you are in a hurry, it usually doesn't.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

We need to keep in mind, though, that digital products bear prices that have countered inflation for more than 30 years (40?).  Look at the prices of TVs, computers, cell phones, digital cameras, etc.  Due to the effects of Moore's Law, products made from solid-state electronics have actually been decreasing in price for many years, and this includes most software (how much do you pay for an app for your Apple or Android?). 

e-Books should be no different.  If a free market prevails in e-books, prices should be decreasing, not increasing.

IMO, you are comparing apples and oranges here.  Moore's Law applies to electronic devices/products, but not an ebook isn't an electronic product.  It is just another format for a book (vs DTB, MMPP or audio.) 

When you buy an ebook you are buying the CONTENT (what's in it.)  While you get some costs savings buying new "best sellers" in this ebook format vs hardback, the same doesn't seem to hold true once a book has been released in paperback (or older books being re-released in ebook format.)  Consumers still (understandably) feel since they aren't getting physical product, they should be paying less for these ebooks.  So while I agree with you that the ebook price should decrease a certain amount, tend to agree with bklvr896, the price of paperbooks are going to go up more, and then maybe, just maybe, we will see some price differential between paperbacks and ebook pricing. 

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

That is a very valid point.  Prices for most grocery items have gone up nearly 20 to 30% in the last year, gas is up over $4.00 consistently for months now.  Prices always rise slowly and steadily over time, ebooks are going to be the same as any other product.  But since B&N is the one setting the price for some then you aren't seeing ebooks that cost $19.99 are you?  Search the new JK Rowling book and check out the ebook price on that sucker.  I'd rather B&N increase the price from say $8.99, to $9.49 than start at a price of $20.00.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.