Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Re: B&N eBook Prices Creeping Up?

foxyTF wrote:

SunCat

I retrieved the e-mail that was sent to me by BooksonBoard regarding the price matching, it was only for a limited time.  I do apologize.

Thanks for clarifying.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
New User
RachelWillmer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link to Luzme, and the kind words about it - this is my site :smileyhappy:

I'd be very interested to take any suggestions for improvements to help Nook users; please use the Feedback form on the site to suggest anything. I've already had a suggestion to add B&N wishlists; I'll see what I can do about that.

Rachel

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@RachelWillmer:

Your site is wonderful; I'm so glad somone else on this thread pointed us in your direction!

I have been spending the past couple of days adding all 245 of the eBooks on my B&N wishlist to your watchlist.  I'll be bummed if you add the import feature after I've gone to all this work :smileymad:, but I think it will go a long way to making your site more attractive for NOOK owners.

I do have a couple of comments, though.  I noticed in several instances that your site can't find an eBook which I know B&N offers (because it's on my B&N wishlist), and in a couple of other cases, the same eBook is listed multiple times, with different vendors showing on the product pages.  When I noticed this, I made a point of adding both to my watchlist, but if you don't notice this and add both products, you may not be notified when the product actually changes price.  The other issue I encountered was that sometimes, when I searched by title, the site said "no books found," but when I searched for the author, there the book was!  Again, not a huge deal, but I did confirm that I was not misspelling anything in the title, so I don't understand why the site didn't find the book on the first search.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

RachelWillmer wrote:

Thanks for the link to Luzme, and the kind words about it - this is my site :smileyhappy:

I'd be very interested to take any suggestions for improvements to help Nook users; please use the Feedback form on the site to suggest anything. I've already had a suggestion to add B&N wishlists; I'll see what I can do about that.

Rachel

Rachel, thanks for posting here. I'll use the Feedback form for details, but let me just mention that my number one suggestion would be integration with Goodreads. They have a pretty extensive API, which would make it relatively easy.

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

RachelWillmer wrote:

Rachel

Rachel, thanks for posting here. I'll use the Feedback form for details, but let me just mention that my number one suggestion would be integration with Goodreads. They have a pretty extensive API, which would make it relatively easy.

I think this is a great idea SunCat!  I would make Goodreads quite a bit more useful for me.  I'm a member, but am hardly over there.

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

New User
RachelWillmer
0 Kudos

@BrandieC

Thanks for the comments and the compliment!

I'm still ironing out a few wrinkles with the B&N support so hopefully that will fix the problems with a book not being found when it does in fact exist.

Where there are multiple versions of the same book; what happens is when someone interacts with the site about a particular author or book, then various 'cleanup' scripts spring into action, merging books where its possible to do that automatically, or passing them on for manual check where not.

This is quite a complex task because often two books which are obviously the same to the naked eye, may in fact have a different title, a different author and a different ISBN! which makes merging them automatically rather tricky.

But every time you add a book to your watchlist, then it gets special attention and you should find that within a day, the duplicates have gone. And if you've added two versions to the watchlist to be on the safe side, then these will get merged into one.

"Why isn't this done already?" I hear you cry... It's just not feasible within my budget - there's 1.5 million book variations in my database. So I focus on the ones which people actually care about.

With respect to the search by title not finding the book, but it showing up in the author list: could you give me an example? I'll investigate...

thanks

Rachel

New User
RachelWillmer

GoodReads integration is the #1 most requested feature, so I'll definitely be doing it :smileyhappy:

Hopefully I'll get started on it next week.

thanks for the feedback

Rachel

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

RachelWillmer wrote:

Where there are multiple versions of the same book; what happens is when someone interacts with the site about a particular author or book, then various 'cleanup' scripts spring into action, merging books where its possible to do that automatically, or passing them on for manual check where not.

This is quite a complex task because often two books which are obviously the same to the naked eye, may in fact have a different title, a different author and a different ISBN! which makes merging them automatically rather tricky.

But every time you add a book to your watchlist, then it gets special attention and you should find that within a day, the duplicates have gone. And if you've added two versions to the watchlist to be on the safe side, then these will get merged into one.

"Why isn't this done already?" I hear you cry... It's just not feasible within my budget - there's 1.5 million book variations in my database. So I focus on the ones which people actually care about.

@Rachel: You know, Goodreads has an army of authorized "librarians" who do these kinds of merges and disambiguations manually when they observe the need (they spring into action, like your scripts). Therefore, their database is likely to be pretty clean in this regard. I haven't studied their API in any detail, so I don't know to what degree they expose such data. But it's possible that you could benefit from their work.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

RachelWillmer wrote:

@Rachel: You know, Goodreads has an army of authorized "librarians" who do these kinds of merges and disambiguations manually when they observe the need (they spring into action, like your scripts). Therefore, their database is likely to be pretty clean in this regard. I haven't studied their API in any detail, so I don't know to what degree they expose such data. But it's possible that you could benefit from their work.

I am a Goodreads librarian, so if you see something that needs to be merged on Goodreads, let me know and I'll take care of it.