Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

B&N not willing to price match Amazon?

[ Edited ]

I asked B & N to pricematch a Kindle/Amazon eBook, and this is the ridiculous, in my opinion, answer that they came back with. I own a Kindle and Nook. For different reasons I love both. However, I want to know why a brand new eBook release can be $14 on Amazon, yet $19 on B & N? That is a whopping 36% difference. Overall there are far more books on B & N that cost more than Amazon, than the other way around. If B & N want my future business, then they had better become a true business-by being competitive. The Nook is not such a great device that I will spend that much more on the same eBook. Especially when there are still a lot of glitches in the device, as well as the customer service aspect.

This is nonsensical pricing strategy.

I am guessing that B&N  figure, that if you have he Nook, then you will not buy a Kindle....Well if you read a lot...for me it makes sense to switch to the Kindle for financial reasons. Yes, the Nook has a better screen....but there are more font sizes on the Kindle that are just formatted better ; better battery life on Kindle; better contrast on Nook etc etc...overall  (my opinion only) the pros and cons of each make them about equal.

Amazon seem to just have a better deal with the publishers. I am making this very simple by just looking at brand new ebook releases. There should be no excuse here for B&N not to come close to Amazon. They can even charge a little more and claim that they have a better device-that is just good marketing. But 36% more on a book they know is going to be tremendously popular is ....simply robbery. I would like to know what B&N representatives think? Is Mike in customer service correct? Is 36% more for the same book showing that you are "committed to offering these ebooks and eperiodicals at a very
competitive price." ?

B&N wrote

"eBooks are an emerging category and many pricing models are being tested
from both publishers and retailers. What's important for all of our
customers to know, is that we are committed to providing them with the
widest catalog of digital books and eperiodicals, that they can read and
take with them on more devices than any other ebookstore.  We are not
focused on any one device, rather we?re about giving consumers choices
as to where they want to read their digital content.  We are also
committed to offering these ebooks and eperiodicals at a very
competitive price."

We look forward to your next visit.

Visit www.bn.com and click on the options that appear in the upper
right-hand corner to view information about your order.

We look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,

Mike
Digital Support
Barnes and Noble
http://www.bn.com/

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Order Number: N/A
IP: 207.135.166.210
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2)
Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6

The price you have for the Nook version of The Desert Spear by peter
Brett is over $19.00. Kindle version is $14.30, also available for
pre-order.
Please match the price, as per usual.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Re: B&N not willing to price match Amazon?

Personally, I think the B&N response is reasonable.  B&N is feeling their way through this very dynamic market and will go through a few more iterations of pricing schemes as the market matures.

Out of curiosity, why don't you just buy the cheaper ebook since you have both readers?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

I'll also add that pre-order pricing tends to be a bit wacky.

There's no advantage to pre-ordering an e-book. They dealer isn't going to run out of them. Wait until the e-book is actually available. The price then is often considerably less than the pre-order price.

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

Pre-ordering is still $5 cheaper on Amazon than on B&N...why cannot B&N do this? Wouldn't it make sense not to annoy your loyal clients? i and many others pre-order because we are excited...just as we would be excited to go into an actual store and buy!!! Why on earth would you offer one price for pre-ordering-a higher price, then a lower price after it is released? makes zero sense, when B&N physical stores actually tend to do the reverse!!!!! Why even offer pre-ordering, if you say it makes no sense to pre-order? Of course it makes sense...more time for people to buy more books and bring cash in faster....same reason why Amazon has been doing it for years....

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

Amazon was there first...years before....B&N specifically was/is going after the same readership...it came aout with the same kind of device just sleeker. Why would I expect B&N to pricematch? The same reason I expect it from Walmart, Best Buy, and a whole host of other stores...it is called serving the consumer-customer service!!! Amazon do not have to price match-99% of their books ARE less expensive or the same as on the Nook...maybe 50%  can be said the other way around and the vast majority are only just managing to match, not better Amazon's pricing. Certainly this applies to all of the sci-fi, fantasy,horror and mystery genres I tend to read. My other friends agree with me for other genres too.

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

i have to say that your reply matches the official response perfectly...as in...gives me no explanation and tells me exactly zero...Why do i have to spend close to 40% more with the Nook on a lot of books?I did buy thecheaper book on the Kindle...and I also did get the one for the Nook. There are some books I like to re-read and this series is one of them. I likeusing the Nook closer to home-because of the poor battery life. The Kindle I take with me on my very frequent longer trips.But that is just my situation. For those of us who just own the Nook, it is very annoying to see this much higher pricing for the same eBook.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

AshleyDel wrote:

i have to say that your reply matches the official response perfectly...as in...gives me no explanation and tells me exactly zero...Why do i have to spend close to 40% more with the Nook on a lot of books?I did buy thecheaper book on the Kindle...and I also did get the one for the Nook. There are some books I like to re-read and this series is one of them. I likeusing the Nook closer to home-because of the poor battery life. The Kindle I take with me on my very frequent longer trips.But that is just my situation. For those of us who just own the Nook, it is very annoying to see this much higher pricing for the same eBook.

It would be if B&N was the only place I could buy books for my nook.  Since I can shop around for many of my books the price difference doesn't annoy me much.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

i do agree wih that certainly and it is an advantage of having the Nook... But I was not talking of advantages here. Just basing the comparison with convenient one stop shopping: the amazon store versus the B&N store and instant downloads. I do not want to be tied to my computer and USB cable etc. When I travel-the only comparison I can make is with the online instant download stores. There the pricing is not good with B&N.i do have to say though...that with Amazon you can also get books from:

1. Baen Books.
  2. Fictionwise offers some of its ebooks in Kindle compatible formats.
  3. Harlequin.
  4. Harper Collins.
  5. Some Lulu books.
  6. Smashwords. 
  7. Some BooksonBoard books.

Make sure to avoid protected Mobipocket and protected PDFs as those do not work on Kindle – only unprotected Mobipocket and unprotected PDFs work.

It’s worth noting that there are some big sites whose books definitely do not work on Kindle – Shortcovers, Sony, Barnes & Noble. This is due to their restrictions – not anything done by Amazon.

So the B&N mantra of being more flexible...well yes and no-but certainly not as much of an advantage. Especially when you consider that a lot of the time you have to use different sources for Nook books since the 'main store' only has about half the books that the Amazon Store does...

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

I run 2 very successful businesses. yes of course the money does not come in until the day of release. BUT when the release day comes-the money floods in. Why do you think Apple does this with all their products? Why did the Nook do it? The hype and anticipation causes so many to commit... so on the release date all that money comes in immediately...instead of having to wait weeks for it. Does that clarify my point?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AshleyDel wrote:

I run 2 very successful businesses. yes of course the money does not come in until the day of release. BUT when the release day comes-the money floods in. Why do you think Apple does this with all their products? Why did the Nook do it? The hype and anticipation causes so many to commit... so on the release date all that money comes in immediately...instead of having to wait weeks for it. Does that clarify my point?

Oh, we get your point.  You just don't seem to get any of ours.

Congratulations on your two successful businesses, I'm sure the rest of us are idiots and not capable of the the same!  :smileysurprised: 

Good grief what does that have to do with anything?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

AshleyDel wrote:

Oh, we get your point.  You just don't seem to get any of ours.

Congratulations on your two successful businesses, I'm sure the rest of us are idiots and not capable of the the same!  :smileysurprised: 

Good grief what does that have to do with anything?

If all you want to do is bitch, then go for it, I've got better things to do than help you pat yourself on the back.

*snicker* way to go Frog!!!   of course if battery life was the biggest issue with the nook, then she should order the IMP500, which would really take care of that issue. Lets see what was her original post about, price matching??? Amazing how it drifted to being a resume of how many business's she owns/runs.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
AshleyDel wrote:

And what you do not seem to get is that they are not speaking from a business' point of view towards pre-order. Yes for the business it makes perfect sense to get the pre-order idea out there, and get people to actually do it. But from a customer's stand point, pre-ordering something that will not run out, is not in limited quantities and may go down in price the day of the actual release. That is the point they were making about pre-ordering being pointless with ebooks.

EDIT: And who really gives two craps about battery life? Your laptop battery dies 10x faster than any nook battery...so what is the point? If its a big deal, just get the IMAX portable battery charger for like $65 USD. It holds like 5x the iPod Touch battery life and works with the nook iirc.

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

Uh..huh...well when you tell somebody that pre-ordering does not bring money in faster...I suppose you have to make the point that they do not know how business works. I notice that neither of you deny the fact that my original point is valid...and yes ...most people do not run 2 very successful businesses in this economy...and i will give myself a pat on the back thank you very much: if you can explain why my point is not valid...without the childish rhetoric...then I will no problem in discussing further...

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ashley, I do get your point and even agree with some of it.  I just can't work up any outrage at preorder prices on an ebook.  I've preordered many, many paper books but won't preorder an ebook.  Why?  Because there really is no point.  Unlike a popular hardcover or paperback, ebooks won't go out of stock, and I won't have to wait for them to become available.  I used to preorder books so I could have them the day they were released.  If I want an ebook the day it's released, it takes me 30 seconds to buy it.

Even as an Amazon Prime member, Amazon is not the be all and end all of the ebook world for me.  In over 12 years as an Amazon customer, I have only bought 3 books from them.  I have always preferred to do my book shopping at B&N, online and off.  I guess that's why the lack of price matching doesn't bother me.  I never bother to look in Amazon's book store anyway.  If I don't like B&N's price for an ebook, I look for it elsewhere.  If I can't find an ebook I want on B&N I look for it elsewhere.  I understand that they are relatively new to the ebook business and are still working on negotiating contracts with various publishers in some cases and are working to catch up with inventory in others.

Sideloading doesn't bother me.  I travel a lot as well and my laptop and my nook comes with me.  I would love to one day have wireless syncing available on my nook, but taking two minutes to connect and drag files over isn't a big deal.  Battery life isn't an issue for me either, though I don't get as long a charge as many because I kill my battery faster with more page turns in less time.  I just make sure to keep it charged.

And being condescending toward people isn't going to accomplish anything but causing people to not take you seriously at all.  Be as proud of your accomplishments as you want--and you have every right to be--but don't expect others to care.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

@Phigment

LOL  Thanks, I can only try...  After all, I'm only a CPA, things like cash flow are way beyond my comprehension!

Thank you, thank you and thank you again for leading me toward that nifty little gadget!  My iPhone with the juice pack was almost dead twice and it loaded them both back up twice and the nook once - I still had about the half the power remaining in the IMAX!  I love that thing...

MODS:  Bring my frog back!!!!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

AshleyDel wrote:

Uh..huh...well when you tell somebody that pre-ordering does not bring money in faster...I suppose you have to make the point that they do not know how business works. I notice that neither of you deny the fact that my original point is valid...and yes ...most people do not run 2 very successful businesses in this economy...and i will give myself a pat on the back thank you very much: if you can explain why my point is not valid...without the childish rhetoric...then I will no problem in discussing further...

Let's see I can pre-order and not get charged until the day of release or I can purchase on the day of  release (what most people do that would pre-order)...

Nope, no appreciable difference in cash flow. 

Oh honey, childish was in this thread long before I responded.

Logic is just soooo under rated these days...

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

I think he was speaking from a business point of view...and i was replying to this:

"Actually, it doesn't bring any cash in faster to Amazon, they don't charge you until the actual date of release."

..that was my point...all the money comes in a rush due to pre-orders on relese date. Yes i understand the same point you guys keep making..the books will not run out etc. But for heavens sake...do you not think that there are tens of thousands of readers who may be dying to read the next book in a cliffhanger series? I certainly believe that is the case...which is why so many people pre-order....they want to read it straightaway...nothing to do with running out...

So my apologies for comparing with Apple products etc. The point is, that people are always dying to read the next book in a series and will pre-order so that it is on their Nook/Kindle immediately...human nature.