Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

B&N's new free ebook promotion (from UNBOUND)

Beginning today and for the next five weeks, bring your NOOK or other device with our free BN eReader software into your local Barnes & Noble store and you'll receive a special access code, good for that week’s free eBook...

We're kicking off the promotion by giving away Alexander McCall Smith's "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" which will be followed -- not in this particular order -- by Jim Butcher's "Storm Front", Chris Anderson's "The Long Tail", Elizabeth Berg's "Home Safe", and Lee Child's "One Shot".

"Fun and Free eBooks" - UNBOUND Blog

Reader 4
daveb48
0 Kudos

Re: B&N's new free ebook promotion (from UNBOUND)

Hi,

I am sure I am not alone in this concern, but I live more than an hour from the nearest B&N retail store and it is not convenient for me to travel that far. Is there any way to obtain this access code without having to go to a B&N store? I am a Nook owner and love getting the free ebooks.

Thanks for listening.

Dave Bates

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

I'm guessing not.  They spoke about this at the nook event I went to last week, the whole idea is to get people into the stores again.

IF these are not one-time use codes, it will show up somewhere on the internet though.

Correspondent
EffieTX
0 Kudos

Wasn't that first book, the #1 dectective agency book, ALREADY a free book? I know I have it on my Nook and I got it without any access code....

Linda

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

EffieTX wrote:

Wasn't that first book, the #1 dectective agency book, ALREADY a free book? I know I have it on my Nook and I got it without any access code....

Linda

First, it is a one time use code. 

Second, I don't think we got it free, it was $1.99, I think so anyway...

I've got scans of the coupon up in the General Discussion forum.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Re: B&N's new free eBook promotion (from UNBOUND)

Dave,  I  just went to the B&N by me and got the coupon and ask about it.  Its a one time use- and I mention about some people living more than an hour away and three different employees told me if you call the store they would give you a coupon code over the phone. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

Dave,  I  just went to the B&N by me and got the coupon and ask about it.  Its a one time use- and I mention about some people living more than an hour away and three different employees told me if you call the store they would give you a coupon code over the phone. 

You might want to mention what store that is, I figure that is going to be a huge YMMV.

At my store they just looked at me funny when I asked about it, they couldn't conceive of someone living an hour or more away from a store and said there was nothing they can do about it.

If you do get one over the phone, keep in mind the code is case sensitive.

Contributor
nightreader60
0 Kudos

I am a little confused about the ddate on the vouchers.  It says this promotion ends at close of business on June 7, 2010.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but isn't that only 4 books?  I just picked up my week 3 voucher today and the 7th is this Monday.  Can anyone explain this?  What am I missing?

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

nightreader60 wrote:

I am a little confused about the ddate on the vouchers.  It says this promotion ends at close of business on June 7, 2010.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but isn't that only 4 books?  I just picked up my week 3 voucher today and the 7th is this Monday.  Can anyone explain this?  What am I missing?

I think it refers to the particular voucher you have, not all of them.  Each should have a separate expiration date.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@nightreader60

I had the same confusion (and, although I threw my coupon away after I redeemed it, I believe it is stated as an end date for the entire promotion, not just for the Week 3 coupon).  I posted a thread about it on the nook General Discussion board, and a reply there indicated that there was some confusion at the local store level, too.

So, I sent a PM to Paul, the administrator of the Unbound blog, about it this morning.  His reply confirmed that there are a total of 5 books, with two weeks left to go, so at this point, I'm just going to ignore the fine print on the coupon.  Of course, if I show up at the store on June 14 and am told that there is no coupon, I'll be e-mailing Paul again :smileywink:.

Inspired Correspondent
PepaLou
0 Kudos

For those unable to make it to a B&N store, there is a post on the "General Discussion" forum where people are passing along codes for free books.  What happens is when they go into a store, they might grab an extra code and then they pass it along to whomever asks for one.

I live only 15 minutes from the nearest B&N, but I had surgery a few weeks ago, so I wasn't able to drive.  I hopped on here and got the code from the forum to some of the free e-books. 

They ARE one time use only, however.

Brasil #1
Proud owner of "COUNT NOOKULA"!
Stop adding more crap to my nook! If I wanted a do it all POS, I would have bought an Ipad!
Contributor
nightreader60
0 Kudos

BrandieC

I have all 3 of my vouchers and they all say the same thing as an ending of the promotion being june 7.  when i asked at my local b&n last week he said that that was when it ended, i dont really think he knew though.  I am going in today after work to see if the sales person today has a clue....

Reader 2
HemphillEF
0 Kudos

No fair to those of us in rural areas with no access locally to a B & N store without extensive travel!

Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

HemphillEF wrote:

No fair to those of us in rural areas with no access locally to a B & N store without extensive travel!

You re-opened an old thread. That promotion was in 2010.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

LM44 wrote:

HemphillEF wrote:

Maybe hemph still has dial-up internet and it's taken them that long to type and post their reply.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

LM44 wrote:

HemphillEF wrote:

Maybe hemph still has dial-up internet and it's taken them that long to type and post their reply.

LOL!

It doesn't help that the unbound blog doesn't date their posts (although that 2010 expiration date should have been a tipoff that this was THREE YEARS AGO!).

Darn, I was excited, hoping they had figured out a way to get us back in the store.  The last few times I was there, either read-in-store decided I'd exceeded my time (on all books) the instant I arrived at the store (which I had not seen in a while) or was simply missing on every book I checked (the last time; it make me think it may have gone away, but I've seen others post that sometimes it simply breaks at a particular store and never comes back ... even though it works in other stores in the same town; I can test that, as we have only one and it's 25 miles away).

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org