Contributor
jukin
0 Kudos

B&N site book categories are pants

This is the only forum that seemed appropriate. I just wanted to moan about B&N's pretty useless book categorie options. I would like to look at music related books, try finding 'Music' or 'Movies & TV'. They are listed under Teens & Kids but go there and yes, all you get are kids books. B&N's Non Fiction categories include NO entertainment related categories so unless you are looking a for a specific book, you're screwed. Whoever designed their 'wonderful' site was obviously not from planet Earth.

I have a Nook Tablet, I love it but I buy all my e-books on Amazon, remove the DRM and then, via Calibre, convert them to ePub and send them to my Nook. It's a pain but I much prefer buying books from Amazon than from B&N, there is just no comparison.

Rant over. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
TarHeelGirl00

Re: B&N site book categories are pants

jukin wrote:

This is the only forum that seemed appropriate. I just wanted to moan about B&N's pretty useless book categorie options. I would like to look at music related books, try finding 'Music' or 'Movies & TV'. They are listed under Teens & Kids but go there and yes, all you get are kids books. B&N's Non Fiction categories include NO entertainment related categories so unless you are looking a for a specific book, you're screwed. Whoever designed their 'wonderful' site was obviously not from planet Earth.

I have a Nook Tablet, I love it but I buy all my e-books on Amazon, remove the DRM and then, via Calibre, convert them to ePub and send them to my Nook. It's a pain but I much prefer buying books from Amazon than from B&N, there is just no comparison.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/stores.asp?PID=40895

This is a link to the Music/Film/TV/Theater page.  Hope it helps.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

jukin wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier, if you prefer the Amazon categories and search, to search at Amazon and then buy at B&N?  That way you don't have to strip DRM and convert.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

keriflur wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier, if you prefer the Amazon categories and search, to search at Amazon and then buy at B&N?  That way you don't have to strip DRM and convert.

Or buy a Kindle?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

jukin wrote:

Completely puzzed here. Why anyone would make such a decision to spend money on the wrong device, then complain that the website doesn't carry what you want, but it doesn't matter because you prefer to buy a book in another format and convert them for said incompatible device?

I can see you are new to the forums so I'm going to assume that you made this drastically wrong choice of devices fairly recently. I'm having a difficult time believing that this is a real post and not a drive-by.

If it's a real post, return it, sell it and buy a more appropriate device for your wants and needs because it doesn't matter how the website is set up here, if you don't buy here.

Contributor
jukin
0 Kudos

Thank you Tarheelgirl00 for the entertainment link, I've bookmarked it. Much appreciated.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/stores.asp?PID=40895

This is a link to the Music/Film/TV/Theater page.  Hope it helps.

Contributor
jukin
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I did think of that a while back but found that often Amazon had books that B&N did not, especially discounted or self-published books. However, I will say that B&N has the best Magazine choice by far and so I subcribe to a bunch of them as they look great on the Nook.

Contributor
jukin

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Or buy a Kindle?

Well, I have a Kindle Keyboard actually which is how I am able to purchase ebooks from Amazon. After seeing how good reading was on the Nook Tablet, I use that now for 90% of my reading and use the Kindle for when I am outside. I really don't like the spec of the Fire so am happy to stick with my Nook.

Contributor
jukin
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Completely puzzed here. Why anyone would make such a decision to spend money on the wrong device, then complain that the website doesn't carry what you want, but it doesn't matter because you prefer to buy a book in another format and convert them for said incompatible device?

I can see you are new to the forums so I'm going to assume that you made this drastically wrong choice of devices fairly recently. I'm having a difficult time believing that this is a real post and not a drive-by.

If it's a real post, return it, sell it and buy a more appropriate device for your wants and needs because it doesn't matter how the website is set up here, if you don't buy here.

Did you read the bit in my post where I said that I love my Nook? I have been a Kindle owner since 2009. I wanted a color 'tablet' and preferred the Nook Tablet to the Kindle Fire so I purchased my Nook last March. So no, I am not naive nor did I make a purchase in ignorance. I was disappointed that searching for categories is much more long-winded on B&N's site as opposed to Amazon's and I wrote my post after a fruitless search for music related Nook books as I decided it might be nice to not have to go through the whole download from Kindle -convert - send to Nook thing and was frustrated once again the the B&N site is so poorly designed IMO.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Well, you don't have to do the convert thing, but you aren't listening to that.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Ahhh...You meant it was easier to buy the books there, convert them, etc than it was to find what you wanted at BN. The way it was written confused me, that you felt that buying kindle books were a superior option to buying epubs. That wasn't making sense to me if you "loved" your Nook. It's the same read to me. :smileyhappy:

I do understand about the website though. It is better shopping through the device, than on the website itself. There are actually sub categories that I want listed there that aren't on the website itself. Easier to find what I want.I've complained about it numerous times myself.

However, I have no problem going to Amazon to browse what's available if I'm frustrated with the search here. THen I come back here to see if they have it for a purchase. Much easier to find if you already know the exact book you want. If not...THEN I will look elsewhere for it. But it is nicer to have it available for instant download to the device and avoid the whole conversion and sideload issues and the time it takes to do that. If it's available at both places but cheaper there, BN will often price match it, but not always. There are other epub stores available as well to buy from, and you wouldn't have to convert anything.

Converting when you don't have to just doesn't make sense. Converting books you already owned for your Nook does make sense.

Contributor
jukin
0 Kudos

I've been doing it for so long that it is only ocassionally that I would like things to be easier. Most of the time I'm an autopilot I've done it so often.

Contributor
jukin
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Ahhh...You meant it was easier to buy the books there, convert them, etc than it was to find what you wanted at BN. The way it was written confused me, that you felt that buying kindle books were a superior option to buying epubs. That wasn't making sense to me if you "loved" your Nook. It's the same read to me. :smileyhappy:

I do understand about the website though. It is better shopping through the device, than on the website itself. There are actually sub categories that I want listed there that aren't on the website itself. Easier to find what I want.I've complained about it numerous times myself.

However, I have no problem going to Amazon to browse what's available if I'm frustrated with the search here. THen I come back here to see if they have it for a purchase. Much easier to find if you already know the exact book you want. If not...THEN I will look elsewhere for it. But it is nicer to have it available for instant download to the device and avoid the whole conversion and sideload issues and the time it takes to do that. If it's available at both places but cheaper there, BN will often price match it, but not always. There are other epub stores available as well to buy from, and you wouldn't have to convert anything.

Converting when you don't have to just doesn't make sense. Converting books you already owned for your Nook does make sense.

I did actually start doing that way - search on Amazon and then search for the same book on B&N, however, often I wouldn't find the same title on B&N especially the (I'm guessing here) self-published books that are available on Amazon. In the end it just seemed easier to do it all through Amazon. Once you have got used to using Calibre, it's really no bother. The only problem I've found is with Amazon Kindle books that have a .tpz file extension, those are not so easy to remove the DRM from; in fact I don't even bother to try now as I've never successfully done it....just have to read them on my Kindle. :smileyhappy: