Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Back up your Night Shade titles

This week's Free Fridays, The Emperor's Knife, is published by Night Shade Books. Night Shade is in the process of shutting down, which means that you cannot rely upon B&N's "virtual bookshelf" to keep copies for you. If you "buy" this title, download it immediately and make backups on your computer.

The same applies to any other Night Shade titles that you might have bought, whether at B&N or somewhere else. Be sure you have them backed up if you want to keep them.

Also, if there are any Night Shade titles that you've had on your e-book wish list, buy them now or you'll probably miss your chance. Some of those titles might eventually show up again under other publishers — Night Shade is trying to get authors to approve transfer of their e-book contracts to Start Publishing — but there will be questions of "if" and "when."

I'll also note that there's no guarantee that author royalties will be paid on any e-books you buy from Night Shade. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Back up your Night Shade titles

What process do you use to backup for nook books?

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird

Go to your library on your computer and click "Download" for each book you wish to download.
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

javabird wrote:
Go to your library on your computer and click "Download" for each book you wish to download.

Thanks, I haven't done anything to do a back up for my nook books.

Good post to get me started especially with my Night Shade titles.

Doug_Pardee

javabird wrote:

That works, but a somewhat easier and cleaner approach is to install NOOK For PC or NOOK For Mac (as appropriate) and download from there. Among other things, you'll get file names that give you a clue as to what the title is.

Correspondent
Strayer

I sideload nook books from Nook PC.

I download the books right after I buy them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you should be able to archive the books and they will still be at B&N.

Doug_Pardee

Strayer wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, you should be able to archive the books and they will still be at B&N.

Not in this case. B&N is only able to provide you with copies because they have a contract with the publisher who has a contract with the author. With the publisher out of business, there is no contract that permits B&N to make copies.

As it says in the B&N Terms of Use:

Some Digital Content may not remain available for re-download from your NOOK Library, if for example, the publisher of the Digital Content no longer retains the rights or other licenses, consents or permissions to that Digital Content. Digital Content already downloaded to your device[s] will not be affected.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Strayer wrote:

I sideload nook books from Nook PC.

I download the books right after I buy them.

If you download the file to Nook for PC or Nook for Mac, you'll have a copy saved on your computer.  If you just leave them in archive you may or may not be able to unarchive them.  It's up to the copyright holder (or their agent) over whether you would have access to it.  It's always good to have multiple backups of your computer files.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Not necessarily. If the books are pulled from BN then there may not be a file to download. Archiving doesn't really save a specific file for you. It's more of a link to the file on the server. OTOH, I bought some books from Dorchester and they're still available for download. They are now being published by someone else but I still get the Dorchester version if I download it.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

If you have calibre, you can use Calibre to download the book to add to your Calibre library. It helps keep track of what you've bought and you can download metadata and a cover to add if it's not showing up. I don't like waiting for Nook for PC to load and download books, it can take a very long time and I usually add it to Calibre anyway so directly adding it to calibre saves me time and I don't have as many copies of the book on my computer. And then there's the "one less place on my computer I'm looking for my books" aspect that comes with having them all in one place (as opposed to having separate folders for nook, kobo, sony, etc)