Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Best NOOKbooks under $2?

I have $2.87 left on the B&N gift card I got for Christmas.  I am trying to decide whether to buy a cheap book to finish it off, or save it for later and apply it to an expensive book.  :smileywink:  Anyone have suggestions for the best NOOKbooks to buy at $2 or under (so that I have enough for tax too)?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Best NOOKbooks under $2?

A number of PubIt! NOOKbooks are on sale at $0.99. Here's a thread where some of the authors have been advertising their sales: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Holiday-sale-from-Authors-for-our-favorit...

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
juneau
0 Kudos

Try the BN classics series. Most are priced at $1.99

Contributor
LKRigel
0 Kudos

Would you like a paranormal romance adventure for 99 cents? 

Space Junque (A Paranormal Romance) 

The apocalypse is nigh, and Char Meadowlark has to juggle two men, a pouty goddess, eco-terrorists, and find a way out of orbit back to a planet devolving into global thermonuclear war.

Fun times!

It's had some nice reviews, and the sequel is coming out in the next couple of days. 

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Okay, let me ask differently...  What have YOU read and would actually recommend?  I'm not really looking for lists or author pitches, but more of a personal recommendation.

I've considered the Amanda Hocking books, but I don't know much about them.  Anyone here read them?  What did you think?

What else have you bought for $2 or less and loved?  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

I have just started Hockings Switched. I am about half way through. So far so good, interesting concept on changelings. I was concerned about what she was doing with trolls, but it seems to work. Well worth the .99 - IMO

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Contributor
LKRigel
0 Kudos

If you like sweet romance, one that I love is called A Happily Ever After of Her Own by Nadia Lee.

A Happily Ever After of Her Own 

It's a modern day fractured fairy tale, very smart and funny. I loved it. It's 1.99 right now.

Frequent Contributor
BluesBaby
0 Kudos

swan480 wrote:

I've considered the Amanda Hocking books, but I don't know much about them.  Anyone here read them?  What did you think?

I've read her "My Blood Approves" series and had a really hard time putting any of them down.  I think I read all four in less than two days, but I tend to do that when I run across a good series.  I've also just started reading J.R. Rain's Vampire for Hire series and am really enjoying it.

I should probably give you an example of a few of my favorite series, though, to see if our tastes are at all similar:

• J.R. Ward:  Black Dagger Brotherhood
  • Lara Adrian:  Midnight Breed
  • Patricia Briggs:  both the Mercy Thompson books and her Alpha & Omega series
  • Katie MacAlister:  Dark Ones
  • MaryJanice Davidson:  Queen Betsy
  • Charlaine Harris: Southern Vampire Mysteries (and, no, I do not like the HBO series, "True Blood").  I also like her other paranormal series (Harper Connelly) and non-paranormal mystery books.

I also like to curl up on a rainy day (of which there are many here in the Pacific Northwest) and read a really good cozy mystery...and, of course, the occassional trashy romance novel. :smileywink:

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

BluesBaby, I LOVE the Sookie books (read all 10 this summer in about a week, so I do that too!), so that was probably the best vote of confidence you could give me for the Amanda Hocking books.  :smileyvery-happy:  It's decided, then.  That's what I'll get!

LKRigel, I'll add yours and the recommendation you made to my wish list...  They both look very good, too.  The hardest decision in a book lover's life is to have only enough for one book, when you want them all!!  :smileyvery-happy:  Thank you, everyone!

Frequent Contributor
BluesBaby
0 Kudos

swan480, I really hope you like the Amanda Hocking series.  One other author, that I can't believe I forgot to mention in the previous post because she is such a huge favorite of mine, is Nalini Singh.  I love her Psy-Changeling series, especially the first four books.

LKRigel, I just got that one too.  It looked too cute (and too cheap) to pass up.

Contributor
ikon
0 Kudos

1923   It is $1.19

1923: A Memoir tells of a time and place when life, full of raw emotion, was never so real.

RReview

It's a personal as well as a social history. Smith has the knack of bringing the times to life in a way that few writers can manage. It's the ability to tell a story, the knowledge of when to move on & not labour a point.
--The Bookbag

1923 is a book that succeeds in two ways with ease, both as a personal memoir of a life lived in a volatile age and as a record of that age for all time. --The Current Reader

"1923" is uplifting and highly recommended.  --Midwest Book Review

1923: A Memoir is a protest against social injustice, corruption, war, famine, poverty, and societies blinded by greed. More importantly, it is the story of hope and the notion that anything can be overcome if desired.  --The Publishing Guru

Product Description

To say that Harry Smith was born under an unlucky star would be an understatement. Born in England in 1923, Smith chronicles the tragic story of his early life in this first volume of his memoirs. He presents his family’s early history—their misfortunes and their experiences of enduring betrayal, inhumane poverty, infidelity, and abandonment. 

1923: A Memoir presents the story of a life lyrically described, capturing a time both before and during World War II when personal survival was dependent upon luck and guile. During this time, failure insured either a trip to the workhouse or burial in a common grave. Brutally honest, Smith’s story plummets to the depths of tragedy and flies up to the summit of mirth and wonder, portraying real people in an uncompromising, unflinching voice. 

Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure
0 Kudos

Suspicions  

.99 and well worth it. 

Frequent Contributor
MichelleMuto
0 Kudos

Just finished Wrecker by Dave Conifer. 99 cents. Really good!

The Book of Lost Souls Being a teen witch has never been more fun. Or trouble.
Don’t Fear the Reaper Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me...~Emily Dickinson 17-yr-old Keely Morrison finds that death isn't any easier than life.