Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: Best Nookbook bargains

Happy Monday to all!

The Civil War is out, but autism is in!  Sourcebooks had a sale on a few civil war titles, but those are back up to full price.  The current sale is on autism ebooks -- 8 titles for $2.99 each (Best Nookbook Bargains, continued). This really is the month for non-fiction!

Fortunately, lest the fiction-lovers feel left out, Sourcebooks also has a sale on a number of romance ebooks.  Nine new titles priced at $2.99 each added to a couple of older fiction titles at that price-point.  As you remember, the promos from Sourcebooks are very short-lived (usually a half-week to a week long), so snap up the titles you're interested in and don't delay.

My nookbook bargain lists:

Happy reading to all!

cheers,

Kirsty

:smileyhappy:

Contributor
ken_j
0 Kudos

I've found so many good books form this thread. Great idea adding the indie books list. Many indie authors seem to be playing with their prices although much more frequently on amazon. It's great to find them at 99 cents.

For a great indie authors perspective on ebook pricing, check out JA Konrath's blog - http://jakonrath.blogspot.com especially the comments from other authors and industry people. Funny stuff. The blog often spotlights indie authors (with 99 cent books) or authors playing with pricing to increase sales.

New User
Augie_S

[ Edited ]

I found a couple of good crime books from this Xynobooks outfit. Both of these are sort of non-traditional crime novels, but they're interesting. Looks like all their stuff is 99 cents.

Ladies of Market Street

Bugchaser

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Hi, everyone -

We had a changeover from Macmillan, so new titles from St. Martins Press and Tom Doherty (AKA "Tor").  Unfortunately, we lost more sale titles than we gained... BUT... I really like the new offerings. Three of the four new sale titles from St. Martins Press happened to be on my wish list already so it was the perfect thing to brighten my day.*

My bargain list links:

Happy reading to all!

cheers,

Kirsty

*I've been in nook hell after Wednesday's server fiasco wiped my nook color's drives. Instead of spending my day off reading (as I was originally planning to do), I spent the day getting my nook mostly back in shape... Even the backup I'd made previously couldn't help -- grrr, grrr, and double grrr!!  (Some of you probably identify with my troubles!)  *sigh*

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Wooeee!!  Not only did we get more than a dozen new free ebooks today (see the latest page of the free thread), but we also had a changeover of sale titles from Hachette Book Group. Some great titles from Little, Brown & Company, Grand Central, FaithWords, and Orbit. Check it out!

My bargain list links:

Happy reading to all!

cheers,

Kirsty

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird

Just noticed this one is priced at 0.01 as of today -- you already have some of her other books on the list, but this looks like a recent  addition.

Cold My Heart

Contributor
ken_j

Here's a couple of good 99 cent books both by Stephen Knight. He's got a few others, but these are the two I've read.

Vampires take on Los Angeles (886 nook pages)

City Of The Damned  

This is an interesting zombie story with some pretty good military action (1106 nook pages)

The Gathering Dead  

gobasso

If I'm repeating, beg everyones pardon but I saw this one today for $.63

The Plot Against America

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

gobasso wrote:

The Plot Against America

I'm coming up with $8.77. :smileymad: 

LisaB

gobasso
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

gobasso wrote:

The Plot Against America

I'm coming up with $8.77. :smileymad: 

LisaB

I checked my account and when I posted the price was accurate. I guess the $.63 was a B&N boo boo.

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Hi, everyone!

There are some really great sale ebooks right now, many just for pennies.  My thanks to Karen in TN of Books on the Knob for bringing many of these to my attention.  Here are some of the best ones:

The 25 Sales Habits of Highly Successful Salespeople  by Stephan Schiffman

The Perfect Storm  by Sebastian Junger

We Bought a Zoo  by Benjamin Mee

And let's not forget the great fiction title (also mentioned on the free thread):

The Center of Everything  by Laura Moriarty

There are some other new additions to each of my lists, so check them out.  Here are my bargain list links:

Happy reading to all!

cheers,

Kirsty

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

Hi Christy - thanks for checking on a few of these. There were so many this morning (some of which have already gone back up), that with Mother's Day I didn't have time to look at all the stores for comparison prices.

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Contributor
meg19
0 Kudos

By default new items are added at the top of any list, but you can manually reorder them at any point after it is added.  So although the newer stuff is frequently at the  top, there's no guarantee on that since I do move things around in the lists.  I re-arrange for a number of reasons -- color variation (I don't like too many dark-colored books next to each other), my own whim, topic or content (sometimes I'll arrange like ebooks together), and very occasionally my own opinion of how good it is will weight it towards the top or the bottom of the list.

Kirsty ~

I can't begin to tell you how many great bargains I've added to my library because of your list. I truly thank you very much for that!

One wee suggestion if at all possible. :smileywink:  Would you consider putting all new additions to the top of your list regardless of the color variations or topic?  Sometimes books further down the list don't look familiar, and I have to toggle back and forth to my library to see if I've already purchased them. Enough times I find they are new and have to scroll through the whole list again afraid I'll miss some huge bargain! :b

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

Ack ... and sorry about mispelling your name in the middle of the night!

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

[ Edited ]

Well, some of yesterday's bargains have gone back up in price again already.  Bad luck for those of you who couldn't snag Junger's The Perfect Storm for only 13 cents!  The sales book is still a penny, though (and has decent reviews), and the zoo memoir is still 48 cents.

A surprising number of new additions to the lists this morning! 

Regarding the request to always leave the new stuff at the top -- well, it's mostly that way anyway.  I'm just not going to guarantee it.  For instance, I added in a new bargain book to the list today -- but it was one that had been a bargain, went free, and now is no longer free but back at the bargain price again -- so that one went to the middle of the list.  I reserve the right to order them as I please since these are my lists (even though I'm sharing them with you all they are still mine).  But I wouldn't worry about it that much -- the new ones really are mostly at the top.

My bargain list links:

Happy reading to all!

cheers,

Kirsty

P.S.  Thanks for the apology, Karen!  I didn't take it personally.  Having my name misspelled happens a lot.

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Just wanted to let you all know that we've had a few new additions from St. Martin's Press (thanks to Karen in TN of BooksontheKnob for the heads up on those).  If you haven't checked my lists since Monday, we've also had a small batch of fresh titles from Grand Central and Little & Brown that came out either late Monday night or Tuesday (don't remember when it was).

cheers,

Kirsty

Contributor
ken_j
0 Kudos

Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #1)  

Contributor
ikon
0 Kudos

1923  Its is a good bargain at $1.19 on Nook

1923: A Memoir tells of a time and place when life, full of raw emotion, was never so real.

Review

It's a personal as well as a social history. Smith has the knack of bringing the times to life in a way that few writers can manage. It's the ability to tell a story, the knowledge of when to move on & not labour a point.
--The Bookbag

1923 is a book that succeeds in two ways with ease, both as a personal memoir of a life lived in a volatile age and as a record of that age for all time. --The Current Reader

"1923" is uplifting and highly recommended.  --Midwest Book Review

1923: A Memoir is a protest against social injustice, corruption, war, famine, poverty, and societies blinded by greed. More importantly, it is the story of hope and the notion that anything can be overcome if desired.  --The Publishing Guru

Product Description

To say that Harry Smith was born under an unlucky star would be an understatement. Born in England in 1923, Smith chronicles the tragic story of his early life in this first volume of his memoirs. He presents his family’s early history—their misfortunes and their experiences of enduring betrayal, inhumane poverty, infidelity, and abandonment. 

1923: A Memoir presents the story of a life lyrically described, capturing a time both before and during World War II when personal survival was dependent upon luck and guile. During this time, failure insured either a trip to the workhouse or burial in a common grave. Brutally honest, Smith’s story plummets to the depths of tragedy and flies up to the summit of mirth and wonder, portraying real people in an uncompromising, unflinching voice. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: Best Nookbook Bargains

Eight new sale titles from HarperCollins were added today to BNB and EmNB.  I'm almost out of room on my fiction bargain lists, so I may start a 3rd list very soon.  Check the upper left corner of the page to see if there's a new essential list.  If these sale prices hold, I'll likely be starting that 3rd list within a day or so.

cheers,

Kirsty

Contributor
apesmom

Re: Best Nookbook Bargains

Here's a few more. B&N finally caught up with everyone else on these St. Martins:

Blood Vines  

A Bad Day for Sorry