Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

A Place Beyond Courage - $1.99

Currenlty $1.99

A Place Beyond Courage  

A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick

he early twelfth century is a time for ambitious men to prosper. John FitzGilbert is a man of honor and loyalty, sworn to royal service. When the old king dies, his successor rewards the handsome and ambitious John with castles and lands. But King Stephen has a tenuous hold on both his reign and his barons, and when jealous rivals at court seek to destroy John, he backs a woman's claim to the crown, sacrifices his marriage, and eventually is forced to make a gamble that is perhaps one step too far.

Rich with detail, masterful in its storytelling, A Place Beyond Courage is a tale of impossible gambles and the real meaning of honor.

rbymtn
0 Kudos

Re: Best Nookbook bargains

Currently $1.99

Coraline  

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

The Shape Shifter by Tony Hillerman is currently $1.99

The Shape Shifter (Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee Series #18)  

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
javabird
0 Kudos

Currently $2.99

Desiree  

"An epic love story...irresistible reading."
-Chicago Tribune

To be young, in France, and in love: fourteen year old Desiree can't believe her good fortune. Her fiance, a dashing and ambitious Napoleon Bonaparte, is poised for battlefield success, and no longer will she be just a French merchant's daughter. She could not have known the twisting path her role in history would take, nearly breaking her vibrant heart but sweeping her to a life rich in passion and desire.

A love story, but so much more, Désirée explores the landscape of a young heart torn in two, giving readers a compelling true story of an ordinary girl whose unlikely brush with history leads to a throne no one would have expected.

An epic bestseller that has earned both critical acclaim and mass adoration, Désirée is at once a novel of the rise and fall of empires, the blush and fade of love, and the heart and soul of a woman.

"This is a fascinating panorama, from the blood-and-sawdust reek of Robespierre's guillotine to the final collapse of the Hundred Days."
-New York Times

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

the award winning The Shipping News is only $1.99

The Shipping News  

javabird
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Currently $1.99

Enemy Women  

For the Colleys of southeastern Missouri, the War between the States is a plague that threatens devastation, despite the family’s avowed neutrality. For eighteen-year-old Adair Colley, it is a nightmare that tears apart her family and forces her and her sisters to flee. The treachery of a fellow traveler, however, brings about her arrest, and she is caged with the criminal and deranged in a filthy women’s prison.

But young Adair finds that love can live even in a place of horror and despair. Her interrogator, a Union major, falls in love with her and vows to return for her when the fighting is over. Before he leaves for battle, he bestows upon her a precious gift: freedom.

Now an escaped "enemy woman," Adair must make her harrowing way south buoyed by a promise . . . seeking a home and a family that may be nothing more than a memory.

junonia-shell

Was $8.99. Currently $.99.

Carved in Bone (Body Farm Series #1)  

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

junonia-shell wrote:

Was $8.99. Currently $.99.

Carved in Bone (Body Farm Series #1)  

This makes for a really nice deal if you happened to pick up #2 in the series as a free selection back in July.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

The whole Jefferson Bass Body Farm series is currently featured as a promotion for the next volume being released shortly. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/spotlight-featured-author-nook-books/379003534
javabird
0 Kudos

Currently $2.99

Jack  

Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis

s I walked away from New Buildings, I found the man that Lewis
had called "Tollers" sitting on one of the stone steps in front of
the arcade.

"How did you get on?" he asked.

"I think rather well. I think he will be a most interesting
tutor to have."

"Interesting? Yes, he's certainly that," said the man, who I
later learned was J. R. R. Tolkien. "You'll never get to the bottom
of him."

Over the next twenty-nine years, author George Sayer's first
impression about C. S. Lewis proved true. He was interesting; but
he was more than just that. He was a devout Christian, gifted
literary scholar, best-selling author, and brilliant apologist.
Sayer draws from a variety of sources, including his close
friendship with Lewis and the million-word diary of Lewis's
brother, to paint a portrait of the man whose friends knew as
Jack.

Offering glimpses into Lewis's extraordinary relationships and
experiences, Jack details the great scholar's life at the Kilns;
days at Magdalen College; meetings with the Inklings; marriage to
Joy Davidman Gresham; and the creative process that produced such
world-famous works as the classic Chronicles of Narnia, Mere
Christianity
, and The Screwtape Letters.

This book is an intimate account of the man who helped-and
through his works, continues to help-generations hear and
understand the heart of Christianity.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

Blackwater Lights 

Michael M. Hughes’s Blackwater Lights combines the eldritch horror of H. P. Lovecraft with the supernatural thrills of Dean Koontz.

When Ray Simon receives a desperate call from his childhood friend Kevin, begging him to come visit, Ray can’t say no. Kevin promises to clue him in on shocking discoveries he has made about weird, half-forgotten events in their past—events associated with a summer camp near Kevin’s home in the small town of Blackwater, West Virginia.

But when Ray arrives, Kevin is nowhere to be found. So Ray does some investigating of his own, only to find that no records exist of the camp. Yet he is not alone in looking for information. There are Lily, a beautiful redhead with uncanny seductive powers; Crawford, a wealthy collector of art and people; and Micah, the mysterious leader of the Church of the Open Door. All of them are seeking information about the rumored camp. And they are all interested—very interested—in Ray.

Then a midnight encounter with strange floating lights sparks a return of old memories—vivid but fractured images that haunt Ray’s waking hours with intimations of terror and cruelty. Something dreadful happened at that camp long ago. Something was awakened there. Now, with the help of his new friend Ellen, a waitress at the local diner, Ray must navigate a path through madness and murder—a path that leads inexorably to an all-but-forgotten night in his childhood . . . and to a future of unimaginable horror.

javabird

Reduced price - 2 Margaret Atwood books

The Year of the Flood  

The Year of the Flood - currently $4.99

MaddAddam  

Maddaddam -currently $6.49

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A

Currently $2.99

Soup Night

By Maggie Stuckey

Publisher: Storey Books

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Year Zero for $0.99.  They'd rather destroy us than pay us royalties.

Year Zero  

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A

Currently $1.99

The Tooth Tattoo (Peter Diamond Series #13)

by Peter Lovesey

Publisher: Soho Press

Mystery  

javabird
0 Kudos

Currently $1.99 

Jurassic Park  

Inspired Contributor
luv2read29
0 Kudos

I HAVE FOUND THAT WHEN I GO TO MY SHOP SCREEN AND GO TO "PICKED FOR YOU" THEY HAVE A BARGAIN BOOK THERE FOR $1.99 I HAVE GOTTEN SECRETS OVER SWEET TEA BY DENISE HILDRETH JONES, AND SAND CASTLES BY ANOINETTE STOCKENBERG WHICH LEAD ME TO A MONTH AT THE SHORE. AGAIN SOME OF THE PICKS ARE NOT FOR ME SO I JUST PASS THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THERE SUGGESTIONS I AM GOING TO HAVE FUN SHOPPING FOR ALL THE BARGAINS!!!!!!!
javabird
0 Kudos

Currently $1.99

Fire from Heaven  

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

One of my favorites...

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce Series #1)  by Alan Bradley (currently $1.99)

It is the summer of 1950–and at the once-grand mansion of Buckshaw, young Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison, is intrigued by a series of inexplicable events: A dead bird is found on the doorstep, a postage stamp bizarrely pinned to its beak. Then, hours later, Flavia finds a man lying in the cucumber patch and watches him as he takes his dying breath.

For Flavia, who is both appalled and delighted, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw. “I wish I could say I was afraid, but I wasn’t. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life.”

Winner of the 2009 Agatha Award for Best First Novel
Winner of the 2010 Barry Award for Best First Novel
Winner of the 2010 Macavity Award for Best First Mystery

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

I have been waiting for this one to go on sale forever! A Pulitzer Prize winner...

Interpreter of Maladies  by Jhumpa Lahiri (currently on sale for $2.99)

Navigating between the Indian traditions they've inherited and the baffling new world, the characters in Jhumpa Lahiri's elegant, touching stories seek love beyond the barriers of culture and generations. In "A Temporary Matter," published in The New Yorker, a young Indian-American couple faces the heartbreak of a stillborn birth while their Boston neighborhood copes with a nightly blackout. In the title story, an interpreter guides an American family through the India of their ancestors and hears an astonishing confession. Lahiri writes with deft cultural insight reminiscent of Anita Desai and a nuanced depth that recalls Mavis Gallant. She is an important and powerful new voice.

Winner of the Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award

Also of note:

The Worst Hard Time  by Timothy Egan

The dust storms that terrorized the High Plains in the darkest years of the Depression were like nothing ever seen before or since. Following a dozen families and their communities through the rise and fall of the region, Timothy Egan tells of their desperate attempts to carry on through blinding black dust blizzards, crop failure, and the death of loved ones. Brilliantly capturing the terrifying drama of catastrophe, he does equal justice to the human characters who become his heroes, “the stoic, long-suffering men and women whose lives he opens up with urgency and respect” (New York Times). In an era that promises ever-greater natural disasters, The Worst Hard Time is “arguably the best nonfiction book yet” (Austin Statesman Journal) on the greatest environmental disaster ever to be visited upon our land and a powerful reminder about the dangers of trifling with nature.

Winner of the 2006 National Book Award for Nonfiction