Contributor
LindaAsh

Re: Best Nookbook Bargains

KirstyHaining wrote:

cheers,

Kirsty

:smileyhappy:

Oooh, lots of interesting titles on these lists! Just last night I downloaded a bunch of free nookbooks - I'm always in search of a bargain :smileyvery-happy: 

Thanks for posting!

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: Best Nookbook Bargains

Hi, everyone!

My ebook bargain lists have been fairly quiet until the last day or so, with only little changes here and there (hardly worth mentioning).  However, we recently got a new spate of sale titles from Little, Brown & Company and affiliated publishers like Grand Central.  Don't get too excited, though -- with the exception of one romance title, almost all of the new sale titles were non-fiction.  (If you like biographies, this is your lucky month.)

Fortunately, we have Sourcebooks to the rescue -- a sale on children's ebooks (the Horrid Henry series) as well as a few adult historical fiction titles.  As you know, Sourcebooks promos are relatively short-lived, so grab 'em while you can.

HarperCollins has a few promo titles as well -- you can get the first two books in Lisa Scottoline's Rosato and Associates mystery series for just $5 (as noted on the Steals 'N Deals pages), and there are a few promising preorder titles coming later this month.  And even though it's not the right time of month for the St. Martins Press changeover, we did gain a couple of new promo titles from them as well.

Happy reading to all!

cheers,

Kirsty

Contributor
iluvminc
0 Kudos

Re: Best Nookbook bargains

Hi, I'm new to this board..

But I just wanted to post about a book I just finished reading, it was a page turner and it's FREE! It's called the The Wrongful Death, The Aids Trail.  I don't know if this book was mentioned or not so please forgive the redundacy.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

I just found this and didn't see it on your list. I read the hardback a few years ago and thought it was very good, so I was excited to pick up the ebook version ($1.99 as of today).. 

Hawk of May

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Hawk of May is one of the historical fiction offerings by Sourcebooks.  It is on my list, but it's always good to highlight the best ones.  That's one I'd decided to nab for myself, although of course I haven't read it yet.  Thanks for the feedback!

cheers,

Kirsty

Sandikal

A couple of days ago, I found Blindsight by Peter Watts for $2.99.  When going to post the link, I found this:  Blindsight - By Peter Watts (Formatted & Optimized for Nook)  for 99 cents.  There's also an edition that's $9.99.  Go figure. 

I read this book last year (library copy) and am rereading it now.  I really liked it, but it was very dense and a bit confusing.  I think it will benefit from a reread.

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

FYI you can also find a completely free ebook version of Peter Watts' Blindsight, if you check out some other websites.  I think you can get it from Manybooks.net although I think I had gotten a copy elsewhere (can't remember where now).  When an author chooses to make their work available for free, it makes me wonder if it's even legal for other publishers to come along and then charge for it on a site like B&N...

cheers,

Kirsty

javabird
0 Kudos

KirstyHaining wrote:

Hawk of May is one of the historical fiction offerings by Sourcebooks.  It is on my list, but it's always good to highlight the best ones.  That's one I'd decided to nab for myself, although of course I haven't read it yet.  Thanks for the feedback!

cheers,

Kirsty

You're right - don't know how I missed seeing that!

Contributor
Christine_Kersey
0 Kudos

My TBR pile is getting so "tall", I don't know if I'll ever get through it. But I love having all those books to look forward to!

Contributor
ikon
0 Kudos

1923  It is now $1.19

It's a personal as well as a social history. Smith has the knack of bringing the times to life in a way that few writers can manage. It's the ability to tell a story, the knowledge of when to move on & not labour a point.
--The Bookbag

1923 is a book that succeeds in two ways with ease, both as a personal memoir of a life lived in a volatile age and as a record of that age for all time. --The Current Reader

"1923" is uplifting and highly recommended.  --Midwest Book Review

1923: A Memoir is a protest against social injustice, corruption, war, famine, poverty, and societies blinded by greed. More importantly, it is the story of hope and the notion that anything can be overcome if desired.  --The Publishing Guru

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

FYI... there's been some activity on my "Best Nookbook Bargains, continued" list because of the addition of six titles from Hay House.

cheers,

Kirsty

Inspired Contributor
DrDetroit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to take a moment and thank you, Doug, and the gang who are kind enough to tirelessly update us on these great deals. I'm telling everyone I know about these threads, especially people who bought nooks on my recommendation, and are disappointed with the increase in price of ebooks. Your work is greatly appreciated! :-)

Contributor
ken_j
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hope it's OK to add books to your great topic. Almost bought it at $2.99. Glad I waited. Downloaded it last night and so far it's really good.  Make sure you read a couple of reviews though it's probably not for everyone. Jenny Pox   

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Hi, everyone!

We got a few new offerings from St. Martins Press today and I'm really excited about two of them.  The first is

In the Shadow of Gotham  by Stefanie Pintoff

This mystery won the Edgar award in 2010 for best first novel by an American author.  It's a terrific book -- one of the best things I read last year and I highly recommend it.  The author writes well (occasionally brilliantly) and she's created a very likeable detective.  The story is set in New York City in 1905 and so it has some very early forensic science and early criminal profiling going on.  It's a solid mystery -- you won't be surprised at the end as to "whodunit", but you'll have enjoyed getting there.  Snap this up now at the $2.99 sale price (but you should get it even when it returns to full price).

The second book is from another great author:

Hungry as the Sea by Wilbur Smith

Wilbur Smith has been writing action adventure thrillers for years, but one of the great things about him is that he writes really well.  Definitely a cut above your average thriller writer!  If you haven't read Wilbur Smith yet, take this opportunity to buy one of his books during this limited time promotional deal.

Although there's been some minor activity on my fiction lists, most of the movement has been on the non-fiction list (Best Nookbook Bargains, continued).  I mentioned the Hay House titles previously, but we've also had some civil war titles for our history buffs.  I guess this is the month for non-fiction!

Now as to a few of our other recent posts on the list.

ken_j wrote "Hope it's OK to add books to your great topic."  I want to encourage anyone and everyone to post the ebook bargains they know about (and it's especially helpful to all of us if you've read the book and can give us a mini-review).  We like to hear from authors, too.  My own focus (as written about earlier in this thread) is for bargains from the major publishing houses, but there are some really great indie authors and publishers out there that we should all know about.  Accordingly, I have started another essential list for bargains in indie ebooks -- it's not exhaustive, but as I come across them (or think of them) I'll add indie ebook titles to the list for your consideration.

Finally, DrDetroit wrote "Just wanted to take a moment and thank you, Doug, and the gang who are kind enough to tirelessly update us on these great deals."  Doug's work on the free ebooks list is legendary (and exemplary -- my thanks to you too, Doug!).  As far as the bargains lists go, I appreciate the sentiment from DrDetroit even if he did get me lumped together with Doug Pardee.  :smileyhappy:

And now, without further ado, the links to my bargain nookbook lists:

Happy reading to all!

cheers,

Kirsty

Inspired Contributor
JohnEverson
0 Kudos

Hi Kirsty and everyone!

Just wanted to send out a quick note because my short fiction collection Vigilantes of Love is still on sale for $0.99 for the NOOK, but only through the end of the month. This collection was originally issued in 2003 by a Chicago press, and has been out of print for years, until the re-release in e-book a few weeks ago (hence the special "raise awareness" pricing).

The collection offers 15 short light fantasy, dark fantasy and the macabre, along with a touch of horror humor. The leadoff story, "Calling of the Moon" was listed on the Honorable Mention list of the Year's Best Fantasy & Horror anthology the year it was released, the book overall has gotten great reviews.

I hope everyone will give it a look over the next week, and Kirsty - hope you'll consider adding it to one of your lists!

Vigilantes of Love  

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

JohnEverson wrote:

I hope everyone will give it a look over the next week, and Kirsty - hope you'll consider adding it to one of your lists!

Hehehe! Guess you didn't notice it already got added to my nookbook bargains out of print list!

cheers,

Kirsty

P.S.  I nabbed a few of your books some months back when they were on promotional pricing.  Haven't read them yet, but I've heard such good things about them. I'm looking forward to reading them one day. Too many books, too little time (ah, well)....

javabird
0 Kudos

I didn't see this one on your list (but i might have overlooked it):

State of Mind

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

javabird wrote:

I didn't see this one on your list (but i might have overlooked it):

State of Mind

Thanks, javabird! No, I hadn't seen that title. Looks interesting! Got a great review from SFbooks.com...

cheers,

Kirsty

Reader
thenickels
0 Kudos

Ok, so I've been buying a lot of those Read For Free! blah blah blah books and most of them stink. I mean really stink. But, I'm always looking for new resources other than what is available from BN.com.

I downloaded this one the other day... It is the best one I've read yet. A lot of the same old stuff but it did have a section on renting (like netflix) eBooks. Thought it was interesting and a good resource for this thread.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/NOOK-Library-Support/Librarians-Assistant/e/2940012298768/?itm=1&US...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Matty

Inspired Contributor
JohnEverson
0 Kudos

LOL... thanks Kirsty!  Whoops - I didn't look on the "out-of-print" list cuz in my head, it's not out-of-print... It WAS... but I acquired a box of the remainders last year from the publisher, so the trade paperback edition is actually for sale in a few places again. But even with that, you're right -- it probably does belong on the out-of-print list. It's not widely available, and there won't be anymore when my box is used up!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 366 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: