altreco
0 Kudos

Re: Best Nookbook bargains

Great resource and list...Thanks!

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Hi, everyone! 

There have been minor changes all along on my lists (we're starting to see some titles dropping off now that January is here), but there are some new additions, too.  Most recently, there have been new promotional titles from Little, Brown & Company.  They don't offer as many sale titles as St. Martins Press does, but they're still good choices.

Also, although usually I keep the bargains under $4, I found that there were a number of great $4.99 mystery titles from Little, Brown & Company.  I have added these to the Even more Nookbook Bargains list, in case anyone's interested.

Here are the links again for my lists:

Happy New Year to all!

cheers,

Kirsty

:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Just wanted to highlight two books that I was very excited to see get promotional pricing!  The first is one of the top-selling and most popular physics books, Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku:

Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku

Synopsis

A fascinating exploration of the science of the impossible—from death rays and force fields to invisibility cloaks—revealing to what extent such technologies might be achievable decades or millennia into the future.

One hundred years ago, scientists would have said that lasers, televisions, and the atomic bomb were beyond the realm of physical possibility. In PHYSICS OF THE IMPOSSIBLE, the renowned physicist Michio Kaku explores to what extent the technologies and devices of science fiction that are deemed equally impossible today might well become commonplace in the future.

From teleportation to telekinesis, Kaku uses the world of science fiction to explore the fundamentals—and the limits—of the laws of physics as we know them today. He ranks the impossible technologies by categories—Class I, II, and III, depending on when they might be achieved, within the next century, millennia, or perhaps never.

Publishers Weekly

In this latest effort to popularize the sciences, City University of New York professor and media star Kaku (Hyperspace) ponders topics that many people regard as impossible, ranging from psychokinesis and telepathy to time travel and teleportation. His Class I impossibilities include force fields, telepathy and antiuniverses, which don't violate the known laws of science and may become realities in the next century. Those in Class II await realization farther in the future and include faster-than-light travel and discovery of parallel universes. Kaku discusses only perpetual motion machines and precognition in Class III, things that aren't possible according to our current understanding of science. He explains how what many consider to be flights of fancy are being made tangible by recent scientific discoveries ranging from rudimentary advances in teleportation to the creation of small quantities of antimatter and transmissions faster than the speed of light. Science and science fiction buffs can easily follow Kaku's explanations as he shows that in the wonderful worlds of science, impossible things are happening every day. (Mar. 11)

Copyright 2007 Reed Business Information

The second is a science fiction title that's been on my wishlist for a long time.  I actually have a print copy, so when I saw the price had dropped it was a no-brainer to snap up the e-version as well.  (I can't wait until they get digital versions of his trilogy!).  It's Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie:

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

Synopsis

Dark fantasy meets hard-boiled thriller in a stand-alone tale of revenge, set in the world of acclaimed author Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

Publishers Weekly

Abercrombie returns to the blood-drenched arena of the First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself, etc.) with this skillfully crafted and bleakly humorous sword and sorcery adventure. Duke Orso imagines that he can become king by ending the civil wars that have devastated Styria, but he errs by trying to kill his overly popular general, mercenary Monza Murcatto. Recovering from her massive injuries and mourning her murdered brother, Monza vows vengeance on Orso and half a dozen of his accomplices. Employing her own motley crew of death dealers, Monza gets her revenge, but it's neither simple nor satisfying; each target requires fresh strategy, and each death has unexpected effects. Abercrombie is both fiendishly inventive and solidly convincing, especially when sprinkling his appallingly vivid combat scenes with humor so dark that it's almost ultraviolet. (Aug.)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Happy shopping, everyone!

Again, the links to my lists are as follows:

cheers,

Kirsty

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

Just found the price on this one dropped to $2.99. It had been sitting on my wish list at a higher price for awhile, so I snatched it up:

Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen Series #1) 

But the publisher seems so have upped the price on the further books in the series to $9.99. So beware if you get hooked. That's a big price jump.

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

Thanks, keep up the good work :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up on the Steven Erikson title.  I notice the website hasn't even had time to process the price change, so it won't show up in its proper place when sorting by price. What that means for the rest of us (assuming we don't want to also buy the Steven Erikson book) is that Tom Doherty titles (as well as others from the Macmillan publishing group, which include W.W. Norton and St. Martins Press) are about to go through a changeover (assuming the pattern of the last few months holds true).

SO... if you were interested in any of the titles on the bargains lists, snap 'em up now since your favorite just might drop off the list any hour now.  There will likely be big changes within the next few days with a big chunk of titles dropping off.  The good news, of course, is that another chunk will get added -- but that will probably take another few days before that happens.

cheers,

Kirsty

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

Alack, alas, more than two dozen titles dropped off the lists today (including those 4.99 mysteries)... yikes!  Some of them I was still thinking about getting, but I wasn't quite quick enough.  (Oh, well.)

Hopefully we'll get a new slew of promo titles coming up in the next few days...

Frequent Contributor
hymie

Angry Robot, a British imprint formerly part of Harper-Collins U.K. and now aligned with Osprey publishing, sells its science-fiction Nook Books for only $3.99. They're a real publisher - these aren't self-published works. BN.com's search function is moronic, so it's hard to pull up a list of all of them but you can go to the Angry Robot or Amazon web sites and search there.

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

Terra Incognita (Gaius Petreius Ruso Series #2) for $0.99

It is the sequel to

Medicus (Gaius Petreius Ruso Series #1) which is still free.

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

hymie wrote:

Angry Robot, a British imprint formerly part of Harper-Collins U.K. and now aligned with Osprey publishing, sells its science-fiction Nook Books for only $3.99. They're a real publisher - these aren't self-published works. BN.com's search function is moronic, so it's hard to pull up a list of all of them but you can go to the Angry Robot or Amazon web sites and search there.

Thanks for the tip about Angry Robot ebooks.  Their website is http://angryrobotbooks.com/

The books I tend to add to my lists are ones that are temporarily at reduced prices from major publishing houses; however, there are other publishers that sell the majority of their ebooks at reasonable pricing levels.  A few that come to mind are Kensington Publishing (not all, but many of their ebooks are quite affordable), Carina Press, and Dorchester Publishing.  It's definitely worthwhile making a list of these publishers and searching on their titles from time to time.  There's some good stuff there.

Thanks also to SHissong for the tip about the second book in Ruth Downie's series about Gaius Petreius Ruso!  That was one I had to snap up immediately since I've been a fan of Ruth Downie dating back from the days before I ever had a nook.  I still haven't read book 3 or 4 of the series, though, so suddenly they've moved up a lot higher on my personal eWishlist!

cheers,

Kirsty

Contributor
swollen_ostrich
0 Kudos

Thought I would add this bargain for the classics lovers among us...a little known novel by Victor Hugo for only 95 cents!!! Plus, it's from a real publisher!...

Toilers of the Sea

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

I love Hugo - thanks for the link.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Just like the free ebooks, we've been going through a bit of a dry spell on the ebook promos.  Several dozen dropped off the lists, but we didn't get a corresponding burst of fresh sale titles. They've been coming through in dribs and drabs -- one here, another there. Still, all the little changes do add up. 

A few more added from HarperCollins today...

cheers,

Kirsty

Inspired Contributor
ivondale
0 Kudos

Wow - since the last time I checked your list there are a good number of books for elementary aged kids.  Perfect for us and all under $1.  I have had so much luck with my reluctant reader and the nook.  This works better than the DS on long waits now!

Thanks so much for keeping up with these.

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

[ Edited ]

Hooray!  Finally a little movement on the sale titles.  A few dropped off today, but we got a corresponding fresh batch of titles from the various divisions of Hachette Book Group (Little, Brown & Company, Grand Central Publishing, Orbit).  It's a relatively small group overall, but I was particularly excited about one ebook since it had been on my wish list for some time:

Beginner's Greek by James Collins

Synopsis from the Publisher

When Peter Russell finally meets the woman of his dreams he falls as madly in love as you can on a flight from New York to LA. Her name is Holly. She's achingly pretty with strawberry-blonde hair, and reads Thomas Mann for pleasure. She gives Peter her phone number on a page of The Magic Mountain, but in his room that night Peter finds the page is inexplicably, impossibly, enragingly...gone.
So begins the immensely entertaining story of Peter and his unrequited love for his best friend's girl; of Charlotte and her less-than-perfect marriage to a man in love with someone else; of Jonathan and his wicked and fateful debauchery; and of Holly, the impetus for it all. Along the way, there's the evil boss, the desirable temptress, miscommunications, misrepresentations, fiendish behavior, letters gone astray, and ultimately, an ending in which every character gets his due.
Both incisive and wonderfully funny, this is a brilliantly understated comedy of manners in which love lost is found again. 

Here are the list links:

cheers,

Kirsty

Contributor
deb_wms
0 Kudos

Great find. . . Thanks!

swollen_ostrich wrote:

Thought I would add this bargain for the classics lovers among us...a little known novel by Victor Hugo for only 95 cents!!! Plus, it's from a real publisher!...

Toilers of the Sea

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

One St. Martins Press title dropped off the bargain lists yesterday (Truly Madly by Heather Webber), although the rest of the December batch have remained priced at $2.99.  We did get a few new titles from St. Martins Press today.  Hopefully more will pop up over the next day or so (and I'd expect those other titles from December to lose their promotional pricing very, very soon).

cheers,

Kirsty

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

Hi, all!

Changes on the bargain ebooks being offered by St. Martins Press and Tom Doherty.  The sci fi ones dropped off the list, but I haven't seen any new additions yet.  Hopefully some will show up in the next few days.  I was pleased to see Charles Cumming on the list of promo titles (A Spy by Nature), since I've had my eye on that author for a year or so now.  There was one title added by Sourcebooks, The Werewolf Upstairs by Ashlyn Chase. Sourcebook promos tend to be relatively short lived so if you're interested in that one, snap it up quick.

Finally, my friend Susan convinced me to create another "bargains" list.  My fourth list contains lower-priced ebooks for books that are either physically out of print (or not even in print in the United States).  Most of these titles get priced around $4.

Happy reading to all!

cheers,

Kirsty

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for another great thread with some really good eBooks on it!

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Two new promo titles from Sourcebooks, recent pubs.  My experience with these is that the new publication promos are extremely short-lived (2 days to half a week or so) before they pop up to full price....