Contributor
mysteryk33
0 Kudos

Beware of Preordering e books

I have never posted to this forum but I felt this was a warning worth passing on.  I pre ordered "Tales of the Otherworld" by Kelley Armstrong on April 10th, excited it was being offered in ebook format.  The price was higher that the hardcover (ebook $16.57  and hardcover book was listed at $15.00)  but since it was for charity and would save me a trip to a store I went ahead and preordered it. Then on its release day it was listed for $9.99. That is almost a $7.00 difference. I feel like I was punished for ordering mine early.  I contacted customer service and got their "we are sorry for the inconvience" and that was it-- no real explanation.  I love my nook and have purchased a lot of books for it from several sources but I can safely say this will be the last one I preorder from B&N. You are better off to wait until the release day.

Contributor
BikerBook-Reader
0 Kudos

Re: Beware of Preordering e books

No kidding.  I pre-ordered the latest David Baldacci book and was told that I would be billed at the time of the order, (not customary for internet orders).  This was several weeks ago, and I'm still waiting to download.

maw

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

BikerBook-Reader wrote:

No kidding.  I pre-ordered the latest David Baldacci book and was told that I would be billed at the time of the order, (not customary for internet orders).  This was several weeks ago, and I'm still waiting to download.

maw

I disagree, it actually IS customary to wait to bill until the order is ready to ship, especially for Internet orders. I have not ever ordered something that was pre-ordered or back ordered and been billed immediately.

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic

jynclr wrote:

I disagree, it actually IS customary to wait to bill until the order is ready to ship, especially for Internet orders. I have not ever ordered something that was pre-ordered or back ordered and been billed immediately.

I preordered Sookie Stackhouse in Feb. from B & N. My card was charged immediately. I know Amazon doesn't do this because they have the preorder price guarantee. Unless B & N has changed their policy since Feb. they do charge right away on preordered ebooks. I can't speak for preordered paperbooks since I've never preordered one of those from B & N.

naylorchic

Unless what I saw on my cc account was just an authorization that dropped off later. I didn't really look anymore after I saw it on there that first day. It was a cc not a debit card.

z2
Frequent Contributor
z2
0 Kudos

I've pre-ordered a couple of times with BN.  Every time I have received an e-mail reminding me that my card has already been charged for this item. 

Contributor
Kathy459
0 Kudos

Thanks for the warning.  I will not order anything from this site on pre-order.  I have had a Kindle for over a year and am not billed until the book is downloded.  

Not, only that it Penguin gets a wild hair and desides it doesn't want to sell to Barnes and Noble even if it has been pre-ordered.  I wonder if you would get your money back?

Just another downside to this company.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

As they inform you clearly about this before you buy the book I do not see the problem. You are free to buy or not buy the pre-order book.

This is not something just B&N does. Fictionwise does the same thing (even before they were bought by B&N).

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Kathy459 wrote:

Thanks for the warning.  I will not order anything from this site on pre-order.  I have had a Kindle for over a year and am not billed until the book is downloded.  

Not, only that it Penguin gets a wild hair and desides it doesn't want to sell to Barnes and Noble even if it has been pre-ordered.  I wonder if you would get your money back?

They tell you at the time you order that you will be billed immediately.  There are no secrets about it nor is it a downside.  It's the deal you agree to when you pre-order.

If you're pre-ordering then you get the book.  Why would Penguin NOT want to sell the book. 

If you like your Kindle so much why did you purchase a Nook as well?  Or do you not have a Nook and just come here to make disparaging comments?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

AlanNJ  I bet its the second and she does it to justify the buying of the inferior Kindle, to make herself feel good for buying the Kindle

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I just saw in another thread where Kathy's AT&T 3G works fine with her Kindle but not with her Nook.  A true conundrum.

►Without order there is chaos◄
vbd
Reader
vbd
0 Kudos

I can't figure out BN's pre-order policy.  Often I will find books that are available to pre-order on a Kindle, but not for  Nook.  Also, you do have to watch the price on a pre-order.  Sometimes it is as high or higher than the hard back.  It may drop later, but you don't know...you just have to keep checking, which is very inconvenient.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kathy459 wrote:

B&N isn't the one you need to worry about, it's Amazon and Penguin that haven't been able to reach and agreement as of yet.  You can't order any Penguin books published April 1st or later from Amazon on the Kindle, but you can at Barnes and Noble for your Nook (if you have one).   As I understand it, it's Amazon that had to send out letters canceling pre-orders for Penguin books.   I were a Kindle owner I'd be mighty unhappy right now.

Linda

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

vbd wrote:

I can't figure out BN's pre-order policy.  Often I will find books that are available to pre-order on a Kindle, but not for  Nook.  Also, you do have to watch the price on a pre-order.  Sometimes it is as high or higher than the hard back.  It may drop later, but you don't know...you just have to keep checking, which is very inconvenient.

"you just have to keep checking" - good business on BN's part.  Keep's you returning to the site.  The more you're there, the more likely you'll spend some money.

For me, I don't pre order.  It's not like they're going to run out of ebooks and if the price is going to drop it will most likely happen after the book is released.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart wrote:

For me, I don't pre order.  It's not like they're going to run out of ebooks and if the price is going to drop it will most likely happen after the book is released.

I did either.  But I've noticed that recently, B&N has been using the same pricing strategy they use for pre-order on HC books, they've added at extra 5%, which is gone once the book is released.  I pre-ordered two books as a test.  One is the new Lee Child book, which was reduced to $9.99, it didn't have the extra 5% notice, but I don't think it will go lower than that anyway.   (And that one I would have bought at the 13.50 price anyway) The other is a paperback that has been bouncing around with the extra 5% and without extra 5%.  I assuming they will permanently remove the extra 5% when the book is released. 

I think only time will tell and that eventually ebook pricing will stabilize, but even with paperbook pre-orders there were varying prices and some went up when they were released.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart wrote:

"you just have to keep checking" - good business on BN's part.  Keep's you returning to the site.  The more you're there, the more likely you'll spend some money.

Well, don't pre-order is what worked in the past as it seemed all the pre-orders were higher than they actually sold for upon (or shortly after) release, not so now.

Many of the NYT types are pre-ordering for $9.99 and heading for $14.99 when they come out.  You just have to keep your eyes open and do the math...  If you really want something and it's a $9.99 pre-order, I recomend grabbing it.

Reader 2
eagle14
0 Kudos

Even worse than that is when the price drops DURING the pre-order period, like it did for the new Lee Child book.  I bought it at $13.50 and now it's at $9.99 - even before it's gone on sale!  So everyone who pre-ordered at the higher rate gets screwed.

Amazon has a pre-order price guarantee - why can't B&N offer the same thing?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I pre-ordered three books that all released today.  All three were Agency books - two were S&S purchased about two weeks ago for $9.99 each, and they are still $9.99 now that they're released.  The other I pre-ordered before the Agency changeover, but it was $12.99 after the changeover and is still $12.99 now that it is released.  This one was from Penguin.

I did notice that one of the books in my wishlist that is on pre-order went up in price from $9.99 to $11.69 in the last week.  It doesn't release unti the end of September, and it's published by Random House so B&N is the one increasing the price.  Another that's already out, also published by RH, is up in price too.  So it seems while we've been focusing our price-watching on the Agency 5, B&N is increasing their prices also.

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

One thing I noticed is the inconsistency in listing pricing for pre-orders.  I have two preordered books that don't get released until June.  One just listed the ebook price and didn't inform me that it was a preorder until I tried to read it.  Then other had the pre-order price and the list price which was astronomically higher so I preordered and it informed me that I was a preorder and would be charged immediately.

I wonder if little gremlins are messing with the B&N servers to have that much change in procedure in just a week lol.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Allem-o
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Ed_Mart wrote:

Well, don't pre-order is what worked in the past as it seemed all the pre-orders were higher than they actually sold for upon (or shortly after) release, not so now.

Many of the NYT types are pre-ordering for $9.99 and heading for $14.99 when they come out.  You just have to keep your eyes open and do the math...  If you really want something and it's a $9.99 pre-order, I recomend grabbing it.

That's what I did Frog...If I pre-order it is usually a Agency 5 book at $9.99 or lower.  I figure they will be higher once they are available for sale.   I just picked up Bush's "Decision Points" for 9.99...not due out until November.

It does tick me a bit though that B&N and the publisher is getting interest off of my money for 6 months though. 

BTW...Frog are you a TCU Alumni ??  (Just wondering)