Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

Re: Book Prices AGAIN!

I noticed in my weekly "Books on Board" mailing from Borders there was an announcememt about drastic ebook pricing changes.  http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=ebooks-agencypricing    Here is part of the text:

Last Chance to Get Discounted Prices on Many of our Titles

In an unexpected move, 5 of the industry’s top publishers have advised us in the last week that they are imposing a Required Ebook Pricing model on all ebook stores as of April 1. This is not an April Fool’s joke, but a significant price increase on many of our popular ebooks. In order to keep offering these titles, we are required to comply. These publishers are the following and all their imprints:

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Yes, this is the coming evil - the agency model pricing scam put together by the publishers (but they weren't colluding - wink).

Load up your Nooks, and wait 'em out.  Don't buy their crappy agency model books.  Write letters and tell them they are un-American for trying to fix prices.  Write letters to their authors urging them to switch to publishers who are more e-Book friendly.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble should take note  of how Borders is dealing with this.

Borders is to be commended for keeping their customers up to date on what is happening with eBook prices. As a result when the prices go up Borders customers know where to direct their anger.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Why don't you tell us what Borders is doing, Larry?  I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds good!

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Looks like there are a couple other illuminating paragraphs on that page:

About 70% of our titles will continue to be discounted with our every day good discounts and Rewards dollars. Top publishers who will continue to allow you to enjoy great discounts include Harlequin, Random House, Samhain, and more;

And:

Popular Authors whose titles will continue to enjoy discounts for you include, by publisher:

The list included a large number of authors from Random House, Harlequin and Samhain.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

Borders is to be commended for keeping their customers up to date on what is happening with eBook prices. As a result when the prices go up Borders customers know where to direct their anger.

Actually I was just referring to the post above with the link from booksonboard.

Borders just seems to be keeping their customers informed about what the publishers are doing and how that will effect prices. As opposed to B&N which just changes prices and leaves us in the dark about why.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

BooksOnBoard isn't Borders

Mandroid wrote:

I noticed in my weekly "Books on Board" mailing from Borders

BooksOnBoard and Borders are two separate operations. At least as far as I can tell.

Borders does e-books for the Sony Reader. BooksOnBoard calls itself the "Largest Independent eBookstore".

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

Re: BooksOnBoard isn't Borders

[ Edited ]

They are related somehow, because when I signed up at Borders for ebooks it routed me to Books On Board.

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

LarryOnLI wrote:

I totally agree with you on this, B&N still hasn't come out with anything of note.

New User
Defiance
0 Kudos

I do believe the publishers and distributors are now trying to see how great an increase in price the eBook market will accept.

During the past month I have noted a definite increase in the price of the same eBooks I had considered buying earlier and today I found that an eBook I would like to buy is $4.00 more than the same book in the mass market (paperback) format.  I have decided not to buy what I deem "over-priced" eBooks and may even go back to paperbacks and hardcover books. 

Frequent Contributor
lorabele
0 Kudos

So frustrating.  Jodi Picoult books, as of 5 minutes ago:

The Pact

B&N $10.99

Amazon $4.79

Harvesting the Heart

B&N $12.99

Amazon $9.75

Keeping Faith

B&N $9.99

Amazon $7.99

Now, in their defense, B&N has a few books that Amazon does not, but all that they have that Aamazon doesn't are well above the $9.99 range.  So does Amazon refuse to carry them if the publisher demands a higher price, same as ITunes does for music?

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

There are still some bargains out there - $1.98 + tax for an omnibus edition of the first two Jeeves books and "The Handmaidens Tale" is available for $3.98+tax - a great bargain. This is Margaret Atwoods best book - much better than "The Year of the Flood" which costs $14.82+tax for the e-book - more than the cost of buying a used hardback edition.

On the other hand the new Elizabeth Peters as an e-book costs only 50 cents less than the discounted hardback so now I am on the list to get this from the library and I have decided not to bother getting "Veracity" which was a book with intriguing reviews from a new author since at the inflated price they are charging for the e-book its not worth the risk for me when there is just so much else to read... Not clear to me how the new pricing scheme is going to lead to profits for the publishers since I will be spending a lot less until prices make sense again than I did before when the convenience of e-books meant I was buying even more books than before I got my nook..

Reader 2
char1127
0 Kudos

Love my Nook...

however, when the cost an e-book begins to equal or exceed the cost of an actual paper book .... I will go back to the library.  or.. buying the book and actually being able to pass on (or share) a good book with a friend who does have a Nook or e-reader..(at least then I'll feel like the cost of the book was worth it.)

Regarding the fact that the publishers are "setting the price" - why are Amazon's e-books less expensive than B&N?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Jodi Picoult titles

[ Edited ]

@lorabele:

Welcome to April 2, one of the 'tween' days for the 'Agency Model'.

The Pact is published by HarperCollins, who reportedly is not enforcing Agency Model pricing until tomorrow. You can still get it from Sony for $5.39.

Keeping Faith is also published by HarperCollins. Sony has it for $10.79, which is even more than B&N.

If you want either of those two titles at the discount price, I recommend that you buy them today. I fully expect both of them to be at Required Ebook Pricing tomorrow.

Harvesting the Heart is published by Penguin. Amazon hasn't reached a contract with Penguin, and Penguin is temporarily allowing Amazon to sell Penguin e-book titles that were released prior to April 1, apparently under its existing (not Agency Model) contract. That may go away tomorrow, or not. We'll see. In any event, if you want to read it on the nook, you'll have to pay the Required Ebook Price of $12.99.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Re: Jodi Picoult titles

Doug_Pardee wrote:

@lorabele:

Welcome to April 2, one of the 'tween' days for the 'Agency Model'.

The Pact is published by HarperCollins, who reportedly is not enforcing Agency Model pricing until tomorrow. You can still get it from Sony for $5.39.

Keeping Faith is also published by HarperCollins. Sony has it for $10.79, which is even more than B&N.

If you want either of those two titles at the discount price, I recommend that you buy them today. I fully expect both of them to be at Required Ebook Pricing tomorrow.

Harvesting the Heart is published by Penguin. Amazon hasn't reached a contract with Penguin, and Penguin is temporarily allowing Amazon to sell Penguin e-book titles that were released prior to April 1, apparently under its existing (not Agency Model) contract. That may go away tomorrow, or not. We'll see. In any event, if you want to read it on the nook, you'll have to pay the Required Ebook Price of $12.99.

Thanks for the heads up,  I have had the Sookie books on my wishlist at B&N and the boxed set went from $31 to $55,  they are published by Penguin.  So I just headed over to Amazon and saw they still had them for the Kindle at the lower price and purchased them there.

Linda

Frequent Contributor
lorabele
0 Kudos

I thought we could read everything EXCEPT Kindle books.  Can we side load those as documents?

Frequent Contributor
Starearedkid
0 Kudos

So, I looked at Amazon. They are starting to get everything over to the agency model. What I did like under each kindle book that fell under the publishers participating in the agency model, they stated that the price was set by the publisher. I know who publishes most of the books I read, but it would still be nice to see it there in black and white.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

lorabele wrote:

I thought we could read everything EXCEPT Kindle books.  Can we side load those as documents?

No, you can't.  The only thing Kindle books can be read on are a Kindle or one of it's applications for PC, Mac, BB, or iPhone/Touch.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

lorabele wrote:

So frustrating.  Jodi Picoult books, as of 5 minutes ago:

The Pact

B&N $10.99

Amazon $4.79

Harvesting the Heart

B&N $12.99

Amazon $9.75

Keeping Faith

B&N $9.99

Amazon $7.99

Now, in their defense, B&N has a few books that Amazon does not, but all that they have that Aamazon doesn't are well above the $9.99 range.  So does Amazon refuse to carry them if the publisher demands a higher price, same as ITunes does for music?

And Doug was correct, AMZ caught up today on The Pact and Keeping Faith, Harvesting the Heart is still cheaper as it's the Penguin book.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Well I guess  B&N looks to make a fortune on the few who want Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and Fountain Head eBooks both are $27 dollars while over at Amazon the Kindles version are 9.99 and 5.99 respectively.