Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Book Prices AGAIN!

03FLHT2 wrote:

Well I guess  B&N looks to make a fortune on the few who want Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and Fountain Head eBooks both are $27 dollars while over at Amazon the Kindles version are 9.99 and 5.99 respectively.

It's not BN, the books are published by Dutton, a division of Penguin, so the publisher set the price.  See earlier posts in this thread about Penguin and Amazon.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

You have to actually sell books to make a fortune - and I doubt anyone is dropping 27 and some change for those books.  Anyone who does should be immediately arrested and subjected to a mental evaluation.

I'm really impressed with the stability and uniformity that the agency model has brought to the eBook market so far.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

No what they are doing is exploiting the market right now with those two.  I heard an interview on Imus the other day with the publisher or someone involved with Ayn Ryand estate only caught last part put they have sold over 500,000 this year of Atlas Shrugged this year or something close to that with the way the Country is going.   From what I understood a lot of people are picking that up.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

With increased interest in Rand's work, whether well-placed or not, you'd think they'd price it to sell rather than so high that nobody's likely to pay for it.  You can get both books in print format for half of what one of the eBooks costs.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Correspondent
Mupples
0 Kudos

What kills me is they're actually going to get less money out of me now. For example when mass market paperbacks were (depending on any sales) 3 to 6 dollars. I would get a little nuts and buy maybe 7-9, new hardbacks of 9.99 I might buy 2-3 at a time. Now when I look at my ewishlist and notice prices have in some cases doubled, I have to be more judicious on my buying. I can't just random buy because I know it'll break my bank (or I'm not getting a deal but being milked for more...), so I purchase one at a time. Very carefully.

I won't spend more on an ebook if the physical counterpart is cheaper. They should offer to allow the discount program to apply or email coupons so that retails can stay competitve.

I bet somewhere in the world librarians are screaming with joy at getting their patrons back.

Reader 4
EclecticReaderAL
0 Kudos

I too added some  books to my eBook wish list when at my local Barnes & Noble the other day.  The prices went up from $3 to $6 and one book I was really looking forward to went completely unavailable.  I love my Nook, but if the price of the eBook is so close to the price of the physical book, I will be turning my Nook off.  My husband was hoping to avoid building more bookshelves (I already own over 600 books.)  when he bought the Nook.  This is really discouraging. We decided to buy the Nook because the prices looked reasonable.  Now that you have sold tons of them, you raise the prices. What gives?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

EclecticReaderAL wrote:

I too added some  books to my eBook wish list when at my local Barnes & Noble the other day.  The prices went up from $3 to $6 and one book I was really looking forward to went completely unavailable.  I love my Nook, but if the price of the eBook is so close to the price of the physical book, I will be turning my Nook off.  My husband was hoping to avoid building more bookshelves (I already own over 600 books.)  when he bought the Nook.  This is really discouraging. We decided to buy the Nook because the prices looked reasonable.  Now that you have sold tons of them, you raise the prices. What gives?

B&N didn't raise the prices.  Some of the publishers did.  If you do a search for "Agency Model" you will find a bunch of threads discussing the actions of some publishers that have caused this.

Reader 4
EclecticReaderAL
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I suppose the publishers are concerned that the eBooks will outsell the physical books.  Unfortunately, as much as I love my Nook, I won't pay more for an eBook than for the paperback of that book.  And if the difference in price for a new best seller, say Charlaine Harris' next book, is less than $2 for the hard cover, hands down the hardcover book will be gracing my shelves along with the other 9.  I hope this settles soon.  And while I'm on the subject, I purchase more books with Nook, than I would at the store, usually purchasing several at a time rather than just one. Publishers need to wake up and get on board.  This is where everyone is eventually headed (to eBooks).

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

They want you to buy the HC  hence the rise in price of eBooks.     Smart thing to do is not fall into that trap and the market will adjust.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Amazon and HarperCollins giveaway: mistake?

TeleRead is reporting that over the weekend, 21 HarperCollins e-books were priced at "free" on Amazon, and only on Amazon.

The author of the article at TeleRead seems to think it was deliberate, but other indications suggest that it was a mistake. The e-books in question have been pulled from sale at Amazon.

If the give-away were deliberate, that presumably would be a violation of either Amazon's contract with HarperCollins or of HarperCollins' contract with Apple. Apple's reported contracts with the 'Agency 5' do not permit e-books that Apple sells to be sold elsewhere for less.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon and HarperCollins giveaway: mistake?

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon and HarperCollins giveaway: mistake?

Amazon had all but the first book in she Series of Unfortunate Events for free.  I picked up those for my daughter who used to love them.  No clue if it was a mistake or not but in the past Amazon has always honored a "mistake".  They had the box set of the Sookie Stackhouse series for $4.79 one day and I picked them up.  They announced the mistake later that day but honored every purchase that was done before it was caught. As for the ones this weekend, I am inclined to believe it wasn't a mistake because it was posted on the boards and usually those are caught and fixed within an hour or so but you never can tell.

Contributor
jaydeyez
0 Kudos

I have been going back and forth with B&N customer service ever since the recent change in pricing.  Here is what they first told me

• "Because our eBook prices are deeply discounted from the Publisher?s List Price, the Barnes & Noble Member's discount is not available on the purchase of digital content (including but not limited to digital books, magazines, and periodicals); certain digital devices; downloadable Audiobooks in MP3 or any other format."

I questioned the "deeply discounted" part of that statement since the prices changed and there are only a 'few' discounts now and they definitely are not deep.  This was their response,

• "The list price is not always the price of the hardback or paperback book copy. The list price is actually what the price of the eBook itself is before any web discounts are applied. The eBook price is the official price that we are selling the book for after we apply our web discounts to the product. This price may fluctuate up and down depending on sales of the book. Prices on certain content can change from day to day."

What I am confused on, is initially they state they don't give the member discount to B&N members on eBooks because it is already 'deeply discounted', but then they explain that the books are listed at the price that the publisher is setting (with no discount).  Granted there are some that are discounted (there were ALOT more prior to this past weekend), but I actually looked up quit a few books at the publisher sites and found that there is no 'deep discount' let alone those books with NO discount.  SO WHY again is there no member discounting on eBooks?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

@jaydeyez

They never have allowed the BN member's discount on ebooks, a reason many of us let our memberships lapse...  The picture now has changed to they are not ALLOWED to offer the discounts on the publishers under the agency model.

My question to current members is this, does it upset you that members and non-members have been getting the same prices on DTB?  it would upset me if I was still paying for that membership...

From the BN site:

Special Offer Details:

For a limited time, starting on Nov. 2, 2009, customers who are not Barnes & Noble Members will receive the advertised "Member Price" on bn.com only on eligible books and only at bn.com and its mirror sites. This offer is subject to change or discontinuation without notice; we will, however, honor properly placed orders with valid methods of payment with sufficient funds placed prior to such change or discontinuation, while supplies last.

Contributor
jaydeyez
0 Kudos

Prior to last weekend I wasn't too upset with no member discount only because all the ebooks carried a discount already.  There were books I wouldn't buy due to price, but there were also many that had very good discounts. 

Now, however, they have removed the discounts from MOST of the ebooks and YES it does upset me.  I receive a discount on the printed books, so why not the ebooks?  From the research I did, they are not discounting htem from the publisher's price at all, so again...if they can give me a discount on a paperback publisher's price why not hte ebook?

I prefer ebooks for the ease and the fact that I do not have to find storage space for hundreds of books.  However when I see a book on B&N marked at $25 and the same book on amazon for 9.99 it makes me question my decision to by B&N Nook. 

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

jaydeyez wrote:

I prefer ebooks for the ease and the fact that I do not have to find storage space for hundreds of books.  However when I see a book on B&N marked at $25 and the same book on amazon for 9.99 it makes me question my decision to by B&N Nook. 

@jaydeyez,

Right now the Publishers are in a snit, and are trying to find the biggest amount they can charge that we will pay for an ebook. It's not going to happen over night but eventually things will straighten out, and hopefully a fair price will be be assigned to ebooks. I'd say the prices are going to do some seriously wild price swings, especially since the Agency pricing is only starting to take effect.  But as for your decision to buy the Nook, I don't feel you made a mistake. Based on your number of posts, I'm guessing you just purchased it recently? And I think eventually you'll even see Amazon's pricing going haywire also.  so hangin there. We all are.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

jaydeyez wrote:

when I see a book on B&N marked at $25 and the same book on amazon for 9.99 it makes me question my decision to by B&N Nook. 

Check to see what the other dealers are selling it for.

Right now there's a quirky situation with Amazon and Penguin. Penguin has 'Agency Model', also known as Required Ebook Pricing, contracts in place with everyone except Amazon. They're negotiating with Amazon, and in the meantime they're letting Amazon sell Penguin e-book titles released prior to April 1 on the old 'discountable' contract.

This gives Amazon an unfair advantage over everyone who did negotiate contracts with Penguin, and it makes one wonder if Penguin's contract with Apple contains the same "cannot be sold for less anywhere else" clause that the other publishers' contracts supposedly contain.

In any event, there's nothing to be done about it. Amazon and Penguin will certainly come to an agreement sometime soon, and then the Penguin prices at Amazon will be the same as everywhere else.

After the dust settles, we'll see how things are. One big question is whether Fictionwise will return to its former glory as an inexpensive source of e-books.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

jaydeyez wrote:

Prior to last weekend I wasn't too upset with no member discount only because all the ebooks carried a discount already.  There were books I wouldn't buy due to price, but there were also many that had very good discounts. 

Now, however, they have removed the discounts from MOST of the ebooks and YES it does upset me.  I receive a discount on the printed books, so why not the ebooks?  From the research I did, they are not discounting htem from the publisher's price at all, so again...if they can give me a discount on a paperback publisher's price why not hte ebook?

You may have heard mention of "Agency Model" or "Required Ebook Pricing", but in case you haven't, what this means is that 5 of the big 6 publishers have changed how they sell ebooks.  They are setting the prices and the retailers are NOT ALLOWED to discount them.  This new model only applies to ebooks and not regular books, which is why B&N can give you a discount on the paperback but not on the ebook.

Also, while you may not see discounts on most of the books you've looked at, the agency model only actually applies to 30% of the books available, so there are still great books to be had from publishers such as Random House.