Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN
0 Kudos

Books not available for Nook but you wished they were

Does anyone have a wish list of books that are currently not available for Nook? I know that you can request the books to be released for the Nook but I've yet to see that come to frutition. I was also kind of interested to see what if any other books people might be wishing to read.

For me I have a few.

Firstly, The Once and Future King by T.H. White, The Book of Merlyn I can get but not this one.

Secondly, The East of Eden trilogy by Harry Harrison, another one where I can get some of the authors other works but not these ones.

Lastly(as I can't think of more at this moment in time) is any Top Cow comics. I already mentioned this on thier official message boards so we'll see what comes of that.

Feel free to add if you wish.

http://www.goodreads.com/MoonracerMN
Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN
0 Kudos

Re: Books not available for Nook but you wished they were

Ok I didn't see an edit option but nevermind about that trilogy it just came up as available, it wasn't though a couple of months ago so they must have just released it.

Reader 4
SwimTeachRead

The original Bourne trilogy by Robert Ludlum.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

The early Lovejoy novels by Jonathan Gash would be nice.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN
0 Kudos

Another grouping of books I would like to see is anything Marguerite Henry as when I look up her name nothing is available. I loved Misty of Chincoteague when I was a girl, I think my daughter would enjoy it as well.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Earthsea books by Ursula LeGuin.

The Hero and the Crown and Sunshine by Robin McKinley.

Distinguished Correspondent
taltosPT
0 Kudos

The missing volumes of Dale Brown's Dreamland series.

Islandia

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

More Ray Bradbury. Fahrenheit 451 is available, but nothing else.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

Ray Bradbury refused to allow his books to be released as ebooks until just before his death. I'm really hoping for the Martian Chronicles to come out as an ebook!
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Irishelf wrote:
Ray Bradbury refused to allow his books to be released as ebooks until just before his death. I'm really hoping for the Martian Chronicles to come out as an ebook!

Really quite amusing that a number of classic SF authors were, in one way or another, luddites.  Still a few of the old ones who insist on using typewriters, too.

keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Irishelf wrote:

Really quite amusing that a number of classic SF authors were, in one way or another, luddites.  Still a few of the old ones who insist on using typewriters, too.

I'd be willing to bet that more than a few of the younger SF'ers still write their first drafts by hand.

Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN
0 Kudos

Bringing back a slightly older topic, but I have found another book that I wish I could get.

Thomas Keneally's Schindler's List

New User
Socrateaze
0 Kudos

I'd like to see the Valhalla series by Poppet

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

This is very old thread and I doubt anyone is monitoring it.  You need to notify the publisher if you want the book available as a Nookbook, BN has no control over what format a book is published in. On the books page on the website, there should be a link that says something like, tell the publisher you'd like this published as a Nookbook.  You can click that option or write directly to the publisher.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Actually it wouldn't hurt to hit both sides. Tell B&N you'd like to see the book on Nook and then go over to Amazon and say you'd like to see it on Kindle. The more requests the publisher sees the more likely they are to reformat it for digital sales, and it's basically no more work for them to release it in both formats once they've digitally typeset it.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Socrateaze wrote:

I'd like to see the Valhalla series by Poppet

Poppet has chosen to publish the e-book versions exclusively through Amazon. You best bet is to contact the author directly and explain that you'd like to read the e-books but have a NOOK,not a Kindle. If you're on Twitter, you can try tweeting to @PoppetAuthor.

Unfortunately, it appears that Poppet is not based in the US, and NOOK Press won't publish e-books from authors outside the US. They'd have to go through Smashwords or something to get their e-books onto B&N.

RHWright

bklvr896 wrote:

This is very old thread and I doubt anyone is monitoring it.  You need to notify the publisher if you want the book available as a Nookbook, BN has no control over what format a book is published in. On the books page on the website, there should be a link that says something like, tell the publisher you'd like this published as a Nookbook.  You can click that option or write directly to the publisher.

Well, the point of the thread wasn't that B&N (or other PTB) should notice it, but just to give vent to the feelings about there being titles not available.

The OP and most of the posters in the thread seem to understand that there are ways to make formal requests, both through vendors and to the publisher.

Heck, if people see a book here and go to click the request button, even for books they might not be personally interested in, enough tit-for-tat requests may accumulate that some of those titles actually make it to ebook. Some publishers are good about it, others less so.

If a post here generates more awareness and requests, resulting in an ebook conversion, that's a good thing IMO.

Frequent Contributor
ualanook
0 Kudos

Is it more futile to wish for an e-book to be available for out-of-print titles than for them to return to paper?  I would love Zenna Henderson's work (both the People & short stories) to be available as e-books.  I've poked around and found text files around, but that's  more complex downloading than I want to do (and don't know that they'd be readable on the Nook anyway)

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

I've never heard of that author, so I don't know how "old" the books are.  However, I'm really into Clare McNally books and have been reading them since I was a teenager.  I am now in my 40's, and some of her books have come out in ebook form (I had to laugh when B&N profiled her as an emerging writer when she has been around for decades)!