Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Books that made you cry

Or at least get very emotional. Do you have one?

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was going through a list of books that I've read and I want to read again. My true tearjerker is A Virtuous Woman By Kaye Gibbons. I read this book years ago, but I still remember that it made me cry so hard I had to put it down for a few hours before I could finish.

Anyone else?

Contributor
PremiumCrouton
0 Kudos

Re: Books that made you cry

I think the book that has gotten me the closest to actually shedding a tear was Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck.

KennaS
0 Kudos

Where the Red Fern Grows

I cried and cried when I read this book at about 10 or 12 and my mother was so iritated. She never let me read Old Yeller either, because of that. Or Animal Farm. Or Charlotts Web. Im a cry baby when it comes to animals dying so Im not really sure that I want to read them anyway.

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm a man... and super duper macho, so I almost never cry. But Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell To Arms ripped my guts out, so to speak.

Frequent Contributor
nutz4books
0 Kudos

I'm with KennaS with Where the Red Fern Grows, and any other sad animal story.

I also cried alot with The Outsiders by SE Hinton when I was about 11 or so.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Definitely the Notebook, and a walk to remember both by Nicholas Sparks.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I've read some books that were so bad they made me cry.  I can't think of a specific one offhand though...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Beth_DeEtt
0 Kudos

@AlanNJ:  You can't remember!  Obviously your amnesia is your mind's attempt to shield your psyche from further trauma.  :smileyvery-happy:

This book, number 19 in a series of 20, did more than make me cry: a couple of very sorrowful events put me into a state of numbness and shock, just as if they had happened to me.  (The link below is the paperback edition.)

The Hundred Days

msmoonlite
0 Kudos

OMG I forgot...the first book to really make me cry was A Dog Called Kitty when I was around 10.

Its funny...I guess I'm more of a crybaby than I thought when it comes to books.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nicholas Nickleby (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

The melodrama of melodramas, the standard of its kind.  :smileyhappy: 

Dickens went over the top later in his career (Wilde had some reason to say, ''One would have to have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell without laughing.'' about the protagonist of The Old Curiosity Shop), but his third novel brings tears of sorrow and tears of joy in alternate chapters.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have two:

Where the Red Fern Grows 

Repeating one from above. As a former houndsman, I can relate to what that boy went through. While it didn't make me cry, it certainly had me reminiscing my experiences. Both good and bad.

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire Series #1)

The most recent one is this one. If Levitas' ordeal and death didn't make you choke up then you are a cold-hearted person.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
New User
James_Everington
0 Kudos

As a kid, Charlotte's Web. I'm welling up again now.

James

Frequent Contributor
yahma
0 Kudos

Marley & Me. I'm a sucker for geriatric dogs...and I've lived through the pain of "The Decision" (euthanasia) too many times.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Heck I get upset with any book or TV show that Children get hurt or killed. Then again most sad movies and books tear me up.   Guess I shouldn't be telling everyone that.  I guess its because I become one of the characters in the book or show.  When I read I usually take on one of the main character roles and feel everything they do.

Contributor
bukwurm31
0 Kudos

Geez, I couldn't get through the first chapter of "The Art of Racing in the Rain"!  I've given up and just won't read books about dog/human relationships.  The dog always dies and I just can't handle it!

avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

Where The Red Fern Grows has to be the number one tear jerker for me. A close second is The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simon. 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Wow....so everyone who has read Where the Red Fern Gros teared up a little. I'm going to have to check it out.

avid_reader1590

[ Edited ]

msmoonlite wrote:

Wow....so everyone who has read Where the Red Fern Gros teared up a little. I'm going to have to check it out.

For me it was not so much tearing up but a tsunami of tears. I highly recommend it but keep the kleenex near. It is a great story and well written and so worth the read. :smileyhappy:

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

mister-j
0 Kudos

The Scarlet Patch a novel of the Civil War by Bruce Lancaster.  In the last chapter when they parade in Washington D.C. and you find out who survived and who didn't.

Contributor
empty_nester
0 Kudos

Anna Quindlen's Every Last One