Contributor
Pj13JG
0 Kudos

Bummer: Recently published Daily Finds

Just saw that today's "Daily Find" is a title (The Dog That Talked to God) only published about a month ago. The title isn't a bad read - cute idea. The issue I have is that I paid over $10 about a month ago -- today it is only $3.99.

I understand that the timing of any purchase is the consumer's decision. One can shrug and say "Hey, it's only 6 bucks." But if B&N is going to start offering "new" books as DF, please don't expect us to be as quick to purchase "new" titles or pre-order.....at least not for the first couple of months.

Does anyone know of other recently published titles being offered as DF?

"I love Saturday morning cartoons, what classic humor!
This is what entertainment is all about ... Idiots, explosives and falling anvils."
- Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson)
Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Re: Bummer: Recently published Daily Finds

This book was also a free book on 4/16. 

I understand what you are saying, but on the other hand I feel it pays to check this web site and a few others everyday to see what is offered for free or at a discount.

I took advantage of getting books 2 and 3 of Debbie Viguie's Psalm 23 mystery series when they were free.  Unfortunately, I did not pick up the first installment when it was free.  So I was faced with the following scenario- do I wait and hope part 1 is offered for free again, or do I just buy part 1.  I decided to go ahead and purchase part 1 as I have already saved about $20.00 by getting parts 2 and 3 for free.

I also find seeing a book I paid the web site price for go on sale or be offered for free frustrating, but I try to take a step back and look at all the great reads I have gotten for free or at a discount.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

@Pj13JG:

Bummer, yes. Problem, no.

It's a promotion. Intended to promote interest in and sales of a book. Why shouldn't they do this for new book? And the title/author you mention doesn't exactly have bestseller written all over it. It's a quirky book from a smaller publisher. It needs promotional help to get attention.

Items go on and off sale all the time. Prices go up and down. It's just the nature of the market. Not just for books, but for just about everything.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4

Do people complain this much when paper books are discounted? Do they complain this much when paper books aren't? I paid full price for the hardcover of The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss, and it was released in paperback two weeks later. The hardcover then ended up on the bargain table at my B&N for $4.99. Oh, well, my loss. Or was it? I was obviously willing to pay the price I paid when I bought it (or I wouldn't have bought it), and it's a book I love dearly, so what did I lose, really?
Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

My sentiments exactly.  If I am willing to pay for a book or CD when it first comes out at "full" price...it's worth it to me.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I know I am being caption obvious, but isn't the inability to share or resell e books widely, plus from the sellers point of view, the ability to easily compare prices with no delivery wait the two factors driving the e book market long term.

I expect windowing to become common, and short term price promotions and more emphasis on propietary sysems. Amazon may try the Walmart model, but without special supplier discounts, which publishers may resist, it's a tough model to implement. 

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00

Pj13JG wrote:

Does anyone know of other recently published titles being offered as DF?

I don't, but thanks for the heads-up to be on the lookout.

I guess there are times we all feel like we are "a day late and a dollar short" when we miss out on a good book deal.  I've been there, but I think the many times I have found a freebie that lists for $9.99 the next day probably balances it all out. 

ABthree

RHWright wrote:

@Pj13JG:

It's a promotion. Intended to promote interest in and sales of a book. Why shouldn't they do this for new book? And the title/author you mention doesn't exactly have bestseller written all over it. It's a quirky book from a smaller publisher. It needs promotional help to get attention.

Items go on and off sale all the time. Prices go up and down. It's just the nature of the market. Not just for books, but for just about everything.

Exactly Wright, er, right.:smileywink:

Some authors purposely price their books with readers in mind.  Rob Thurman, for example, is great for this:  her books generally come out for pre-order at $7.99, and stay there indefinitely. 

For the rest, when I see a promotion like this that appeals to me, it gets promoted -- right to my eBook Wish List.  Then I wait for the price to drop, and pounce.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

RHWright wrote:

@Pj13JG:

Exactly Wright, er, right.:smileywink:

Some authors purposely price their books with readers in mind.  Rob Thurman, for example, is great for this:  her books generally come out for pre-order at $7.99, and stay there indefinitely. 

For the rest, when I see a promotion like this that appeals to me, it gets promoted -- right to my eBook Wish List.  Then I wait for the price to drop, and pounce.

Just as an FYI, most authors with major publishers have no control over the pricing of their books.  I've had discussions with several authors over the prices and all have said, once they sign the contract, it's out of their control.  Considering Rob Thurman is with Penguin, I'm amazed they're priced at that point, as Penguin seems to have the most irrational pricing of all the publishers.

ABthree
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Just as an FYI, most authors with major publishers have no control over the pricing of their books.  I've had discussions with several authors over the prices and all have said, once they sign the contract, it's out of their control.  Considering Rob Thurman is with Penguin, I'm amazed they're priced at that point, as Penguin seems to have the most irrational pricing of all the publishers.

I don't disagree, particularly about Penguin.  I just think it shows that Thurman (and/or her agent) were particularly adept at negotiating her contract.  Others have been, too.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

DCLOVELL wrote:

I took advantage of getting books 2 and 3 of Debbie Viguie's Psalm 23 mystery series when they were free.  Unfortunately, I did not pick up the first installment when it was free.  So I was faced with the following scenario- do I wait and hope part 1 is offered for free again, or do I just buy part 1.  I decided to go ahead and purchase part 1 as I have already saved about $20.00 by getting parts 2 and 3 for free.

I also picked up her three Psalm 23 books when they were offered for free at various times.  The first one has been offered twice I think, so it may come around again.  I was pleasantly surprised by the first one and am currently reading the 2nd.

I get almost all of my eBooks from the Free Friday selections or various highlighted discounts.  It's introduced me to quite a few new authors that I would otherwise never know about.  The Viguie novels are about the only ones in a series (that seemed interesting to me at least) that I've seen with multiple offerings in the series.  I picked up both a JA Jance and a William Kent Krueger offering for $.99 and I keep waiting for more, but so far no luck. 

I really love the Free Friday and Daily Find promotions, even if many of the books don't appeal to me.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@kamas716:

Actually, the most recent Free Friday was the second in the Kendall O'Dell series by Sylvia Nobel, and the first in the series was free before (I can't remember if it was an actual Free Friday selection or if it just appeared on the Free NOOKbook thread).

Frequent Contributor
wisdombunny
0 Kudos

True...

Contributor
Pj13JG
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in agreement with most of the responses, but evidently did not express the cause of my furstration well enough.

The free and discount titles are indeed a draw and I understand that. My frustration resulted from the recent date of publication -- only a month prior to the offer! This does not happen with hard copies, why Nook books?

BTW: I still check it daily. lol

"I love Saturday morning cartoons, what classic humor!
This is what entertainment is all about ... Idiots, explosives and falling anvils."
- Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson)
Contributor
vizeroth
0 Kudos

If the publisher feels the inventory isn't moving quickly enough they're just as likely to use a promotional price to move hard copies. The difference is that it really doesn't cost them much to play games with the prices on ebooks, and they're not as familiar with the market, yet (so they're more likely to play around).

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Part of this issue may be that publish dates on e books do not seem to be linked to original p book dates. I am probably missing something but the date appears to be based  on date when title is released as an e book, or as a nookbook? Reissues on p books under a new publisher or name plate have long done this. A few times I have repurchased previously read books this way, realizing it a couple of pages in. 

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

Part of this issue may be that publish dates on e books do not seem to be linked to original p book dates. I am probably missing something but the date appears to be based  on date when title is released as an e book, or as a nookbook? Reissues on p books under a new publisher or name plate have long done this. A few times I have repurchased previously read books this way, realizing it a couple of pages in. 

I have noticed this as well.  It would be nice if the original published date as well as the date it was released as an ebook were both listed.