bklvr896
0 Kudos

Buy one get one free

Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

Re: Buy one get one free

[ Edited ]

Yes, I am surprised there has not been more comment about this. Great for those folks who live near a B&N brick and mortar. Otherwise you have to factor in the cost of transportation to and from the nearest store. For me that's a 20 mile round trip and considering the cost of gasoline probably not a significant money saving factor. I do like some of the recent happenings at our local store though. On recent visits I have picked up a number of bargain-priced DTB best sellers that were at less than eBook prices.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

I don't think this sale is fair at all. Not every town has a Barnes and Noble store nor a way to get to one. I live in a county where there are NO bookstores and no public transportation to other counties. Since I cannot drive, that means this sale is useless to me. Wake up, B&N! Not everyone has access to your physical stores. Sales like these are a slap in the face to those who do not drive.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Irishelf wrote:
I don't think this sale is fair at all. Not every town has a Barnes and Noble store nor a way to get to one. I live in a county where there are NO bookstores and no public transportation to other counties. Since I cannot drive, that means this sale is useless to me. Wake up, B&N! Not everyone has access to your physical stores. Sales like these are a slap in the face to those who do not drive.

They're using the sale to get people into the store.  Stores have different sales for different reasons, and some will benefit some folks, some not so much.  They have other online only sales.  They've had two weekends of 50% off Nookbook sales in the past month or so.  But this sale is being used to lure people in the store. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

I'm tired of the victim mentality around here

Irishelf wrote:

Just because you can't take advantage of the sale doesn't mean it isn't fair.  You are not harmed in any way.  This is simply an extra deal available to those who go to the store.  It's just like the read in store feature, or getting to talk to someone at the Nook counter rather than talking to CS over the phone or via web chat.

Jealousy =/= unfairness.

Shouldn't you be glad that B&N even has an online store?  If online stores weren't available you'd be stuck with local alternatives only.  Be happy for what you have and quit thinking you're a victim.

</rant>

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

Re: I'm tired of the victim mentality around here

Has anyone figured out how to find the link from the front BN.com page?
Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

What a ridiculous statement!  Most ebooks are purchased online.  That is why they are called ebooks.  And because B&N's ebooks are almost always the highest price, cannot be discounted with coupons and rarely go on sale (unless you are into romance and/or erotica), most of my purchases have been through Amazon.  And as for the 50% of sale, some of the books are still showing the same price today as it was during the sale, meaning they really weren't on sale-there was a price drop across booksellers (Amazon's prices were the same or less).  If it were just involving a sale on ebooks, I wouldn't be as upset.  But originally the B&N membership card got you discounted prices on DTBs when you ordered online.  That was taken away-now the discount only applies for in store purchases.  As long as B&N keeps treating non drivers (usually disabled, as in my case) as second class consumers, I will restrict my purchases from them.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob

I'm not sure there is an easy link from there (and my local store has nothing about it visibile and they had to hunt for the list at the register). I did place a link on the right side menu on my blog, so I can check it easily each week.

Be aware, although everything online says YOU pick which book to pay for, in the store, they will ring it up as the most expensive as the one to purchase and the least expensive is the free one. The ONLY place that this is written down is in the instruction page that the person at the register uses.

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Waa waa waa

Irishelf wrote:

What a ridiculous statement!  Most ebooks are purchased online.  That is why they are called ebooks.  And because B&N's ebooks are almost always the highest price, cannot be discounted with coupons and rarely go on sale (unless you are into romance and/or erotica), most of my purchases have been through Amazon.  And as for the 50% of sale, some of the books are still showing the same price today as it was during the sale, meaning they really weren't on sale-there was a price drop across booksellers (Amazon's prices were the same or less).  If it were just involving a sale on ebooks, I wouldn't be as upset.  But originally the B&N membership card got you discounted prices on DTBs when you ordered online.  That was taken away-now the discount only applies for in store purchases.  As long as B&N keeps treating non drivers (usually disabled, as in my case) as second class consumers, I will restrict my purchases from them.

The BOGO sale has nothing to do with the membership card. B&N has been playing around with the membership deals for years.  I wasn't aware the 50% off sale was supposed to be limited to the weekend and to B&N only, I would think Amazon would be a little upset about that if it was so - seems most if not all of their contracts require them to be able to sell eBooks for as cheap as any other vendor. Just because some of the books are still the same price doesn't mean the regular price has dropped.

As far as your disability, you are only as disadvantaged as you let yourself be.  I worked 8 years for the longest surviving parapalegic in the ND/SD/MN tristate area.  He never once complained about what he couldn't do.  Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah didn't let his disability keep him from biking across Ghana or doing anything else.

Nearly 40 years ago my father got reamed out by his doctor one summer.  You see, earlier that spring he had slipped on some frost on a roof and fell a story and a half, shattering his ankles (right- 100+ pieces, left- 38 pieces).  He was one of the first people in the US to have reconstructive surgery on his ankles, the doctors gave him a 50/50 chance of still needing have his feet amputated even after the surgery. The doctor happened to be driving by and saw my dad outside with the boat upside down and half the paint scraped off it.  My dad wasn't supposed to be on his feet at the time, so he rigged a swing and a bunch of pulleys so he could move around the back yard and work on stuff. The doctors did a good job with the surgery, he not only kept his feet, he's been able to walk ever since.  They're stiff, he still has pins in his ankles and he can scratch his shin to make his big toe twitch, but he refused to feel sorry for himself and kept working as hard as he could at whatever he could.

It may not be as easy or convenient for you to get to a B&N as someone else, but you're only limited by yourself.  I'm sure you probably find advantages to where you are living, otherwise you wouldn't be living there.  Should we feel sorry for all the people who aren't able to take advantage of the things at your locality, too? Is it unfair if the local pizza parlor offers a pick up special cheaper than having it delivered? If you don't feel you're getting the service you want at B&N but are at Amazon, why aren't you buying everything at Amazon?

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Waa waa waa

The e in ebooks stands for electronic.  It does not make any indication of where the book should be purchased.  If they were online books, they'd be obooks, no?

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Irishelf wrote:

I've seen discounts come and go from all companies, they change over time.  I used to get a free pass to the Alaska Airlines First Class lounge with my Alaska Airlines credit card, a couple of years ago, they took that particular perk away.  I can't take advantage of BOGOs for restaurants because I'm single and don't always have someone to go to dinner with, why can't it be 1/2 price meals instead?   Cell phone companies give a much better deal to family plans, but I don't need more than one cell phone, so I can't take advantage of any savings there.  I could list lots of things that are "unfair" like this, but you know what, that's the way it is, someone else at least gets the discount or perk, so I move on.

Prices increases, discounts change, companies change strategies based on their analysis.  It's what happens.  Honestly, no one is forcing you to purchase anything from BN, so if you're unhappy, don't, but complaining that because you can't take advantage of something means it's unfair is silly.  No one ever said life is fair.

I doubt that anything BN could do would make everyone happy as evidenced by the recent update to the Nook HD line.

As an idea, do you know anyone who lives closer to the BN and who would go to the store and buy the books for you?  All they have to do is provide your email address and check out.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

I am visually impaired.  That means I have to either walk, take a taxi or rely on public transportation to get where I want.  There is no public transportation between counties in the state I live in and I can't afford the $100 each way it would cost me to take a taxi to the nearest B&N (nor would it be worth it). With gas prices being as high as they are, no one would be willing to take me all the way out to another county just to go to a bookstore.  And I don't know anyone who goes to a physical book store to download an ebook.  They download them from the internet.  And unless you are visually impaired you have no right to condemn me for complaining about a company that seems not to care about visually impaired people nor because I cannot  "get around" my disability!

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

Irishelf wrote:

I am visually impaired.  That means I have to either walk, take a taxi or rely on public transportation to get where I want.  There is no public transportation between counties in the state I live in and I can't afford the $100 each way it would cost me to take a taxi to the nearest B&N (nor would it be worth it). With gas prices being as high as they are, no one would be willing to take me all the way out to another county just to go to a bookstore.  And I don't know anyone who goes to a physical book store to download an ebook.  They download them from the internet.  And unless you are visually impaired you have no right to condemn me for complaining about a company that seems not to care about visually impaired people nor because I cannot  "get around" my disability!

Not an excuse.  I know many blind people that have no issues getting around.  One of my friends who was completely blind and a double amputee was a librarian at the Library of Congress for over 40 years.  Being visually impaired is not an excuse and I'm sure you have friends or family who go to stores and are able to drive you if you ask or your county may have a free or discounted transportation service for the disabled, if not then maybe you should re-think where you live if it's really that difficult for you to get around.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

B&N has brick and mortar stores. It's understandable that they want to bring people into the store, because they may discover they like coming into the store, they may make impulse purchases, etc.  So they're going to run promos that encourage people to come into the store.  There are LOTS of people who won't be able to take advantage of the promo, because not everyone lives near a B&N, but hey, that's life.

Should B&N stop selling books because it's unfair to blind people who can't read them?  Or what about audiobooks - are they unfair to the deaf?  Maybe they should stop charging because that's unfair to the poor, or stop having stores in the US because that's unfair to the people in other countries who can't get there.  Is it unfair that some clothing stores only sell clothes for men?

B&N is not taking anything away from you by running this promo.  So you personally don't get to take advantage of it.  So what?  I'm sure there will be promos or benefits that B&N offers that you can take advantage of but that someone else can't.  How would you feel if they never offered any promos because it might be considered unfair to someone?  Would that make you happier?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

keriflur wrote:

B&N has brick and mortar stores. It's understandable that they want to bring people into the store, because they may discover they like coming into the store, they may make impulse purchases, etc.  So they're going to run promos that encourage people to come into the store.  There are LOTS of people who won't be able to take advantage of the promo, because not everyone lives near a B&N, but hey, that's life.

And this is a fantastic promo to get people (back) into the stores.  Many ebook readers do not purchase paper books regularly.  It's an oft-repeated refrain on these forums and "in real life."  Quite a few have said they have no reason to go into a brick & mortar store.

This promo gets readers who have probably not shopped the store recently back into the stores.  

B&N still sells an ebook, the stores are fuller and most likely they've also sold some thing in the store.  Maybe not a paper book, but as many have noted (some less complimentarily than others) B&N doesn't only sell books now.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Irishelf wrote:

I understand it's a challenge, my dad is visually impaired, he can't drive and he's also hearing impaired.  If we could get the print large enough on an ereader, which is doubtful due to the level of his impairment, it wouldn't do any good, because he's also technology impaired and won't use it.  (And I say that with all the love in the world, but technology has passed him by and he has no desire to catch up)

I will say that if I had a friend who could not drive for whatever reason and asked me about getting to a BN in this situation, absent I had other plans, I'd be more than happy to drive them to the BN, help them pick out the books and probably suggest we do lunch too.  Because that's what friends do, they help each other out.  If I were the person who couldn't drive, my friends would help me out.

And again, this is a promotion to get folks into the store, if they did this strictly online, then it would defeat the purpose of the promotion.  They'll be other promotions, but getting this upset about something that may not even have a book you want, since it's limited to 20 specific books each weekend, seems to be a waste of a lot of energy.

Be thankful your impairedness still allows you to read, as I said, my dad's is so bad I doubt we could get the print large enough for him.

javabird
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if this offer is only limited to buying 1 book, or can you buy 2/get 2 free?
Contributor
modaddy
0 Kudos

Buying more than one set

Yes, the first week I purchased 4 books and paid for 2.  I actually was able to tell the cashier which books I wanted to pay for and which I wanted for free. I don't think you can do that now.  The promotion page now says "(the free NOOK Book will be the lower-priced)" but it didn't say that in the beginning.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos
javabird
0 Kudos

Re: Buying more than one set

Is this weekly offer still going on? I just checked the page and it hasn't been updated since last week. I can't find the original thread and I can't remember it there was an end date (i.e, until the end of summer)?