Contributor
Reader1SD
0 Kudos

Can I get ebooks from the public library?

Can I download books from my public library?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: Can I get ebooks from the public library?

[ Edited ]

Absolutely! Here is FrogAlum's instructions on how to install Adobe Digital Editions and transfer library books to your nook:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

Not all libraries participate in the e-books lending program because it is rather expensive for them. Here's a site to see if your local library participates or if there is a library near you with e-books to lend:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Note that with most libraries you have to show up in person to get a library card.

Happy reading :smileyvery-happy:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat gave you great info.

Just one note - you can read public library books on your NOOK/NOOKColor, but you cannot download them directly to your device.  You have to download to your PC/Mac and then sideload to NOOK/NOOKColor following the instructions in the link Desert_Brat shared with you.  (It's in my signature as well.)

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

You can also go to www.overdrive.com to see a list of libraries in your state.  Depending on where you live, you should be able to find one or two that won't charge you and you might call and find out if you can apply by mail.

The Free Library of Philadelphia (ok, not so free), charges only $15 for non PA residents and you can do it by mail. 

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

You can also get a free memborship for e books at the Jacksonville Public Library (FLA).

Also free at Alachua County Libtary.

Both of these have an online form to request you card number.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
Reader1SD
0 Kudos

Thank you for all the great ideas !

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Re: Can I get eBooks from the public library?

I completed the application for an e-card from the Jacksonville Public Library but have not gotten an e-mail confirmation with my number yet. I did it either 3 or 4 days ago. Does anyone have any idea how long it should take?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: Can I get eBooks from the public library?

kathylcsw wrote:

I completed the application for an e-card from the Jacksonville Public Library but have not gotten an e-mail confirmation with my number yet. I did it either 3 or 4 days ago. Does anyone have any idea how long it should take?

I did the same last week and haven't received any word from them.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!