Reader 2
Emme32
0 Kudos

Can't remember name of sci fi book! Help!

A little OT, but I'm dying over here.  Can someone help me ID the name of this book? 

It's science fiction, probably more than 10 years old.

The plot: A man's wife dies and the man goes crazy with loss. He decides to travel into the future on a small space ship to try to find a way to bring her back to life. He stops at various points in time to find a society advanced enough to bring back his wife but has no luck.

At one point in the future, he gets roped into helping the future society try to save the earth. He does this by downloading different "selves" to go onto different space ships to discover alien life and alien planets.  At one point he realizes that each one of his "selves" has to die a very painful and real death while he himself remains alive.

He observes the changes taking place to the earth and to the societies on earth over the billions of years he travels.  He never does find a society that has discovered a way to bring back his dead wife.  Eventually he reaches the end of the world, at which time he sacrifices himself to somehow save mankind.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

Re: Can't remember name of sci fi book! Help!

Sounds interesting. Wish I could help. I would suggest posting this on the Lost Books board as well.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Reader 2
Emme32
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion!  I posted my question on discussion board too.

Frequent Contributor
Patrick_Skelton
0 Kudos

It does sound interesting!  Is it a Robert Heinlien novel, perhaps?

The Device  

Author of THE DEVICE A Suspense Novel

[url=http://www.patrickskelton.weebly.com]The Device [/url]
Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

Pretty sure it is not Heinlein since I think I have read everything by him, and it isn't ringing any bells for him.

I'll set this on my back burner because I am pretty sure I have either read it or read a student's book report on it. Maybe a day or two will jog my memory!

Correspondent
CrankyBeach
0 Kudos

I was rummaging around in some old threads looking for something else and saw this message.

It sounds really, really familiar.  In case you haven't found it yet, I think it may be a book by Charles Sheffield called "Tomorrow and Tomorrow."

Inspired Contributor
hereticalee
0 Kudos

The Time Machine... by HG Wells.