Reader 4
LadyVamp
0 Kudos

DOES NOOKCOLOR HAVE THE READ ALOUD FUNCTION LIKE THE KINDLE?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
Inspired Contributor
MsAmberRocks
0 Kudos

Re: DOES NOOKCOLOR HAVE THE READ ALOUD FUNCTION LIKE THE KINDLE?

No, however, you can put MP3 audio books on it. I would suggest this over "text to speech" feature on Kindle anyways.  Text to speech is a computerized monotone voice reading to you... where an audio book actually has a human voice with personality.

Plus, you can get books from anywhere with a nook. You are not tied down to only the kindle store. (also the nook provides the ability to access library books... you will NEVER find that on the kindle).

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Nallia wrote:

NO.

Post shorter than Sig = good post!  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Reader 4
LadyVamp
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information. That helps. Do all books come with mp3?
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: does NOOKcolor have the read aloud function

Only certain NOOKkids books can be purchased with a pre-recorded audio track. 

LadyVamp wrote:
Thanks for the information. That helps. Do all books come with mp3?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

MsAmberRocks wrote:

No, however, you can put MP3 audio books on it. I would suggest this over "text to speech" feature on Kindle anyways.  Text to speech is a computerized monotone voice reading to you... where an audio book actually has a human voice with personality.

Plus, you can get books from anywhere with a nook. You are not tied down to only the kindle store. (also the nook provides the ability to access library books... you will NEVER find that on the kindle).

On the other hand, you don't have to buy an audiobook if the Kindle book has the text to speech. Some people hate it, but others find it quite satisfactory.

Also, given the new restrictions on library books, that is not much of an advantage for the nook anymore.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MP3 books can be downloaded from the library also. Audio in other formats are easily converted to MP3. My recommendation though would be to load them on a SD card because they are memory hogs.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Frequent Contributor
nutz4books

Since Overdrive has a more limited selection than my physical library, I check out the audio CD book from the library, rip it to my computer, then transfer the file to my MP3 player (or NC in this case).  Granted it is an extra step, but the experience of listening to a professional actor/actress read with inflection, emotion, different voices, etc is much better than a computerized voice.  But if the audio book is available through Overdrive, it is great to be able to borrow it and put it on the NC (unlike Kindle).

New User
queenmert
0 Kudos

I have the Nook Color and it is disappointing that it does not have the read aloud function. Audiobooks are more expensive.

New User
erin816
0 Kudos

Thats upsetting- people that have lost their site to the point of being unable to read and or are blind are pretty much unable to use the nook then.  It would be nice if Barnes and Noble was a little more handicap accessible.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Not to be unkind, but the color doesn't have a microphone, required for the read aloud software. It has nothing to do with sensitivity to peoples handicaps or other limitations. They are working on a text to speech program that will come to newer devices. It is currently in beta, so it could be quite a while yet.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

You don't need a microphone for text to speech software.  All it does is translate coded text to audible .  You need a speaker or headphones though.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Irishelf wrote:

You don't need a microphone for text to speech software.  All it does is translate coded text to audible .  You need a speaker or headphones though.

If you are responding to my post? I know that is why I mentioned it. The read aloud function, which lets you record someone reading the story does require a microphone.

The text to speech software is reportedly pretty buggy and not really usable yet.