Correspondent
RichardM
0 Kudos

Difference in Amazon & B&N Prices Irritating!!!!.

I am more than frustrated right now.  I am a very loyal Barnes & Noble customer.  But now I wish I had just bought the Kindle, even though I think the Nook is better.  The more books I look up the more I see that Amazon has the better price - usually by a few dollars.  However, the best example is David Weber's By Schism Rent Asunder.  The book was published in July of 2008.  The series, as of tomorrow will be 2 books passed this book, The physical version is available in paperback.  Amazon has the Kindle version priced at a (fairly) reasonable $7.99.  Barnes & Noble's version is $18.53.  That is outrageous!!!!

I have heard that Amazon will have to raise book prices.  However, I will never buy an eBook that is priced more than the paperback.

It looks like my Nok is bound for eBay - where some other sucker will fall into the Barnes & Noble trap.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

Re: Difference in Amazon & B&N Prices Irritating!!!!.

I have to say that since the whole iPad "thing", I, too, had the opinion that I wouldn not pay more than $9.99 for an ebook (or, the cost of the price of the paperback, whichever was less). However, my husband read a story to me that appeared on Gizmodo this morning - http://gizmodo.com/5482774/how-much-it-actually-costs-to-publish-an-ebook-vs-a-real-book (a link to the NYT story: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/01/business/media/01ebooks.html?partner=rss&emc=rss), and I have since changed my opinion slightly.

I think that authors should offer ebooks on their individual fan sites - I would much rather give money directly to an author than go through a publisher or third-party seller since those people get a cut (and publishers shouldn't get a cut of a book that's not actually published, IMHO). After reading the article however, I suppose I won't gripe so much about paying $12 for an ebook (we're talking new releases here - if you want to be the first in line, you'll always pay more; it doesn't matter what it is). Would I rather pay less? Absolutely! But given the comparison, it doens't seem totally outrageous to pay $12 for an ebook (as I said - new releases). Having said that, I certainly won't pay more. It's ridiculous to ask customers to pay half the price of a hardcover or especially full price of a hardcover for an electronic copy of a book. The publishers say that you're paying for intellectual property rights - I don't buy it. Once books come out in paperback, the ebooks should be the same price as the paperback.

And I'm still not exactly sure why B&N won't allow coupons or membership cards to be used for ebook purchases - but I think the story gives an explanation in a roundabout way. B&N gives discounts for bestsellers and new releases in hardcover and that money is taken away from what they "get" for hardcovers. So, basically, they're getting almost the same amount of money whether they sell the book in hardcover or ebook format - which is why they don't allow the discounts for ebooks. They wouldn't make any money from their sales.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Another fine example of B&N irrational pricing.

Sideload from Powells until B&N gets their act together:

http://www.powells.com/biblio/9781429930079?&PID=531

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
Starearedkid
0 Kudos

The one big price difference that I have noticed is: One for the Money. Barnes and Nobles has it listed at 20 and change. Amazon's version is 7.19--about a 13 dollar difference!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Use www.addall.com  to search for the lowest price. You can have it search for only the compatible file formats for your ereader.

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
0 Kudos

sub_rosa wrote:

Another fine example of B&N irrational pricing.

Sideload from Powells until B&N gets their act together:

http://www.powells.com/biblio/9781429930079?&PID=531

I fail to see a point here, granted this one book may be priced oddly but the vast majority of the books I priced at Powells were around $2.00 more than B&N.

very-simple
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

Use www.addall.com  to search for the lowest price. You can have it search for only the compatible file formats for your ereader.

I love addall and use it all the time, but I would note that Kobo Books isn't on there yet (I've emailed addall support requesting that they add it as a source), so folks might want to additionally search kobo as well in the meantime (although I've found that kobo doesn't necessarily have the lowest price for the books I've searched for).  

Rav_Bunneh

You do know that publishers negotiate different deals with each and every different distributer. Amazon, B&N, Apple Bookstore, and the rest. This is why every company has differing prices.

In the eBook market place there is no standard retail price for books to be sold at. You can go into ANY book store and look at a book and know the price. It is printed into the ISBN bar code. With ebooks there is no such thing. 

In addition some companies will bite into their profits or take an out right loss on a book. They make it up in other ways of course. 

I honestly can't see a day where you can ever expect to see the same price on an ebook regardless of where you shop. I don't know why the publishers insist on treating an ebook differently than actual books in terms of pricing but they do.

Now, while some people my just rant on and on about the B&N prices, others just shop around. The benefit I saw in the nook was and is that i can read pdf, epub and pdb formats. it also has expandability in terms of memory. This allows us to do the very best thing a consumer can do to to fight high prices. ....to shop around. 

I personally don't plan on paying more than 9.99 for a new book unless I really really want it. I don't plan on playing more than paperback price if there is a paperback out there. And so I'll let my money talk. Companies that want our business will make the best deals with publishers.

What I don't and can't see is why people want to sit here on the forums an endlessly grip about it. Take action and just be a smart consumer. B&N gave us all a device that lets us do that and as such I'm thankful.

Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

You do know that publishers negotiate different deals with each and every different distributer. Amazon, B&N, Apple Bookstore, and the rest. This is why every company has differing prices.

What I don't and can't see is why people want to sit here on the forums an endlessly grip about it. Take action and just be a smart consumer. B&N gave us all a device that lets us do that and as such I'm thankful.

Agree.  I don't want to paint everybody with the same brush, but those who needlessly gripe seem to be passive (read: lazy) consumers rather than smart consumers.

I read recently that B&N ebook sales and profits are growing smartly.  It is the passive consumers that make this possible.  More power to 'em if their pricing strategy is working out for the shareholders.

I think Amazon has the most to lose in all this.  They created the sub-$10 price expectation.  If, as it appears, they are losing money on each sale, eventually they will have to raise prices.  I think that, and their more restrictive DRM, will create a backlash for Amazon and open the door for B&N, Sony and others.

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

JoanieGranola wrote:

and I'm still not exactly sure why B&N won't allow coupons or membership cards to be used for ebook purchases

I think the main reason is that they are paying to the publisher's 50% of the retail price no matter whether it's an ebook or a hardcover.  By selling them at 9.99, they are already taking a loss.  Giving membership discounts on a product that is already losing them money would make no sense.  Maybe they will allow the discounts again once they have moved to the agency pricing model.

I actualy found a pricing difference yesterday that was in BN's favor.  For any that read the Vampire Diaries series, the new book due out this month is on sale for 1.99 at BN if you preorder it.  It's 9.99 at Amazon.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

A lot of people have a hard time believing that amazon.com is losing money on ebooks. After reading all these posts, I think that could actually be true. Up until the nook appeared on the market, the Kindle was the most popular ereader available. Why wouldn't they take a loss on ebooks if they could price them so that people would buy them again and again? In the end, they'll still make money. The problem comes when other ereaders join the market and pricing gets competitive. I've been a B&N customer for many years and I can't see myself changing for this minor issue. I also haven't found many places that offer .epub books for much less than B&N (admittedly, I haven't really looked outside ereader.com and fictionwise.com, both of whom are owned by B&N - and have higher prices by $1-2).

Basically, as with everything for sale in life, only time will tell. Time will tell how popular ereaders become and what the demand is for ebooks. If there's a high demand for ebooks, you can bet publishers will sell them for more money (what the general public is willing to spend). If there's no demand for ebooks, the prices will go down. Not all books are available in ebooks, either. And that's a publisher issue. And that also has to do with money. And that's too bad because I would much rather fill my nook with ebooks than purchase a physical copy of a book that I have no room for in my house. There's no problem with being a smart consumer, but it's ridiculous to want something for nothing. That just doesn't happen.

Contributor
HungryScribbler

Did people REALLY buy a eReader because the books were less expensive for one device than the other? I bought an eReader because it is cheaper to buy the books, yes, but also because of convienence, because an eReader is cool to have, because I hate carrying around a backpack full of books, and the ability to read all the free books that are available online at any time without using my laptop and killing my eyes!

If people are going to complain because Amazon has a book that is cheaper than B&N, and immediately want to sell their eReader or have buyer's remorse, imagine all the people who would sell their iPod because iTunes raised prices on the music downloads!

If a book is cheaper as a PB, then buy the PB! Obviously this defeats the purpose of having an eReader, but if its price you are concerned with versus portability, then do what it takes to make things more cost effective for you.

If cost is REALLY an issue - here: Get David Weber's By Schism Rent Asunder for free: Pasadena Library

Correspondent
EricTrickster
0 Kudos

Also: Amazon is purely an online retailer - no overhead, in terms of a physical store and distribution to those stores.  They've always been able to underprice the brick and mortars, so it's no surprise that they're able to do the same with ebooks.

As the previous poster said: I didn't buy an ereader because one ebookstore has better prices than the other.  I bought my Nook because it has the most potential, and I can buy from multiple sources - and I'm hoping the pricing stablizes as competition heats up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one. ~Chinese Saying
Contributor
BeckyAK

I agree with the last two as well. I got the Nook because of it's potential and it's features, the cheaper ebooks were just a nice bonus.

Starting to get frustrated with all the negative postings and compainling......

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

BeckyAK wrote:

I agree with the last two as well. I got the Nook because of it's potential and it's features, the cheaper ebooks were just a nice bonus.

Starting to get frustrated with all the negative postings and compainling......

Ditto.  I bought the Nook 1 to lighten my load while traveling, which it does nicely,

because I already had a relationship with both eReader & B&N, the battery is user replaceable & I can add storage with a micro SD card.  If I don't like the price of an ebook, I don't buy it.  

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I have noticed that many of Barnes and Noble books are more expensive than the e-Books available on KIndle.  I don't know the reason.  If you ever go inside a Barnes and Noble store, you will notice that their DVDs are way more expensive than what you would pay at other retailers.  You can use your Membership Card for DVD purchases, however, the prices for the DVDs being much higher negates the discount for being a card carrying member.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

I have noticed that many of Barnes and Noble books are more expensive than the e-Books available on KIndle.  I don't know the reason.  ....

Yes, it is confusing to me.  I've been wanting to buy the Twilight series (the five book bundle) for my daughters.  Amazon has it for $31.99 At B&N it is $46.99.  Interestingly the four book collection at Amazon is $36.99, the same as at B&N.   

The Twilight Saga Complete Collection 

A $15 difference is significant.  Amazon says the price is set by the publisher (Hachette Book Group) so it seems strange that B&N doesn't have the same price.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

tmr4 wrote:

Yes, it is confusing to me.  I've been wanting to buy the Twilight series (the five book bundle) for my daughters.  Amazon has it for $31.99 At B&N it is $46.99.  Interestingly the four book collection at Amazon is $36.99, the same as at B&N.   

The Twilight Saga Complete Collection 

A $15 difference is significant.  Amazon says the price is set by the publisher (Hachette Book Group) so it seems strange that B&N doesn't have the same price.

Looking at Inkmesh, it appears that Amazon has it priced incorrectly, everyone else has it priced at $46.99.  So, someone has it priced wrong, either the 4 other major retailers or Amazon.

Reader 2
ChuckWernberg
0 Kudos

Is it possible to read a book purchased at Amazon on a Nook?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos