New User
magdadgam
0 Kudos

Do I have to use a credit card to by books for my NOOK?

Im getting a NOOK for my birthday, but I heard you have to use a credit card to buy the books

Im only 14 so I can't get a credit card

Please Help!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: Do I have to use a credit card to by books for my NOOK?

You do not have to use a credit card to buy B&N ebooks.  You can use gift cards.  However, you must have a valid credit card/debit card with a credit card logo on your B&N account as the default credit card.  Without one on your account you will not be able to buy ebooks at all.  The card is used to create the encryption key to unlock the ebook on your NOOK.  You will have to speak with your parents to make sure they are aware of this.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

In addition, you don't even need a "real" credit or debit card.

Many banks and other institutions sell pre-paid credit cards (For as little as $25) which you can then register as your default card, but then use your gift cards for your actual purchases.

You're going to want to look for an issuer that:

1) Requires little or no balance

2) Charges no or a very small initial "purchase" fee for the card in addition to your starting balance

3) doesn't charge any kind of periodic/monthly fee just for having the card

4) doesn't have a use by or expiration date if you don't make charges with the card

I'd say 3&4 are the most important. You may have to look around. I'd first check with the bank your parents use. They may already have some type of program in place for these type of situations.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RHWright wrote:

In addition, you don't even need a "real" credit or debit card.

You're going to want to look for an issuer that:

1) Requires little or no balance

2) Charges no or a very small initial "purchase" fee for the card in addition to your starting balance

3) doesn't charge any kind of periodic/monthly fee just for having the card

4) doesn't have a use by or expiration date if you don't make charges with the card

One other consideration and it is probably the most important: You must be able to tie the prepaid card to a physical address.  I believe any card issued by a bank will have this capability, maybe all of them can be, but I don't know.

See this post:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Child-acct-don-t-want-to-have-default-...   

(The entire thead will be helpful, actually.)