Frequent Contributor
Rainfall00
0 Kudos

Do library books disappear off the Nook when the lending time is up?

I have a couple of library ebooks I've downloaded to my Nook and am wondering if they automatically disappear or become unavailable to read on the actual Nook (not in ADE) once the checkout period is over.

I've checked back in a couple of other books early in ADE that are still showing up on my Nook, so I'm now wondering if these other two I have checked out will also remain on my Nook even after the lending period is up (as long as I don't sync my Nook up to ADE).

Does anyone know? Please and thank you! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: Do library books disappear off the Nook when the lending time is up?

[ Edited ]

Rainfall00 wrote:

I have a couple of library ebooks I've downloaded to my Nook and am wondering if they automatically disappear or become unavailable to read on the actual Nook (not in ADE) once the checkout period is over.

I've checked back in a couple of other books early in ADE that are still showing up on my Nook, so I'm now wondering if these other two I have checked out will also remain on my Nook even after the lending period is up (as long as I don't sync my Nook up to ADE).

They will be listed on your nook and ADE until you delete them but you will not be able to read them past the expiration date.

Part of the function of ADE is to place the expiration on your nook. Some have been able to read past that time by not closing the book and not syncing with ADE.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Frequent Contributor
Rainfall00
0 Kudos

Ah, ok. Hmm, I'll be watching them when they expire to see what happens.

I wish I could remember when the other two were due that I checked in early. They aren't in ADE anymore, but are still showing up and readable on my Nook. Maybe their original checkout period hasn't expired and that's why though.

Anyone else have success keeping a library book on their Nook past the checkout time if it's not synced to ADE?

I bet if I was fast enough, I could just check the books back in and then re-check them out before anyone else noticed them being returned, lol. They're not wait-listed as far as I can tell. And I'll finish one of them before the checkout time ends, but probably not the other so that's why I was curious.

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Kristina_044

Each library file is time stamped. So no matter what you do, the file will become inactive after your set lending period. That file will remain on your nook until you manually remove it. However, even though its still on your nook you will not be able to open it once the time stamp is expired. You will receive an error message stating the book has been returned if you try to open the file after that set time.

You can still check how many days are left of your book by connecting your nook to the pc, and then entering into ADE. Once in ADE just find the book in question, and you should be able to learn the days left.

As a quick tip....

You can use ADE to return books early if you have finished them before your lent period is up. As well, you can also return them immediately after downloading them onto your nook since the file is time stamped and will stay on your nook for the set lending time. Just a friendly reminder if you notice a long line for the wait list, this will enable more people to get that book faster.

Frequent Contributor
Rainfall00
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the help! I have been checking them in early via ADE when I'm done reading them. I'll have to connect my Nook to ADE and see what the check in date is/was.

Thanks for the tip about checking them in right after loading them to the Nook! Duh, I wouldn't have thought of that! :smileyhappy:

Kelly

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Rainfall00 wrote:

They do not automatically disappear, they have to be deleted from your Nook.  You can delete them directly on your Nook, with ADE or mnually using your computer.  They will not open once expired.  There have been several methods described to prolong the "life" of the book, a search may bring them up.

Contributor
krisket

I have kept library books past the due date on several occasions. As long as you do not close the book or synch with ADE, it will continue to be available. I've never gone past a day or two but I assume it would work for as long as you leave the book open. I have even charged my nook and not lost the book because I left it open.

As soon as I synch, the expired books will not open. As I open other books, the expired ones disappear from my 'keep reading' list.

And, I second the suggestion that folks return library books once they are downloaded to the nook so that those of us on the waiting list can have a chance!

Correspondent
Wrking21

When I've checked out library books and they expire prior to my returning them through ADE I've noticed that if I stay in airplane mode (which I normally do) they do not automactically return. I've been able to keep & read a library book for up to two additional weeks if I keep my Nook in airplane mode. However; as soon as it hits wifi the book does return and become unreadable. However; it's nice that I can get a few extra days if necessary.

Frequent Contributor
Rainfall00
0 Kudos

Great, thank you everyone! I'll be testing this out on the two I have checked out now. And thanks to the great tip on checking them back in as soon as they're loaded onto the Nook!